going with your instincts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
guests last night put the radar up right at the door. this is usually a very casual house where all the doors are left open but because of the bad feeling i closed and locked all the doors to the unoccupied guestrooms. what happened is not their fault but having the doors locked perhaps isolated the problem to one room. my sense about them was they might be wanderers. this morning when the housekeeper went to clean she came back out of the room with a face that lpainly said "ewwww". put my mother on hold to find out what was going on. blood all over the bedding and tha carpet. housekeeper said it was an awful lot of blood, more than normal- in her opinion. it was very hard to get out of the carpet. it was tracked all over. both of us worked on it for 30 minutes. glad that the doors were lcoked so they didn't wander into other rooms in search of clean bedding!

Yikes! I wonder what it was from??
I'd close and lock all the guestrooms all the time... no need for people to go wandering about looking in the other rooms!

Blood where? From the bed onto the carpet? Did you see the guests? Were they okay?

I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe.

I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe..
muirford said:
I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe.
Well I just cleaned a toilet with poo stains on it that has been unoccupied. A guest mentioned a book and I said to have a look (and unlocked that room) and sure enough - the little fold was gone on the TP and the lid was up. I lifted the seat and there is was! GRRRRRR!!! You go to get a book and use another guest room toilet? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!
I keep all unoccupied guest room doors locked. I don't want to check in new guests and find crap in their toilet or on it (like in this case).

I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe..
muirford said:
Well I just cleaned a toilet with poo stains on it that has been unoccupied. A guest mentioned a book and I said to have a look (and unlocked that room) and sure enough - the little fold was gone on the TP and the lid was up. I lifted the seat and there is was! GRRRRRR!!! You go to get a book and use another guest room toilet? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!
I keep all unoccupied guest room doors locked. I don't want to check in new guests and find crap in their toilet or on it (like in this case).
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I learned that right from the get go. I had a woman use other showers because her husband was in theirs. =0

muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I learned that right from the get go. I had a woman use other showers because her husband was in theirs. =0
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Oh yeah had that happen as well. Caught the old buzzard as he was walking out of another room.
"What were you doing in there?" I asked him.
"My wife was using our shower."
"AND? Did you book that room as well? Are you going to pay to have that room cleaned again?"
"I only used the bathroom" he says as he skidaddles back to his own room.
When guests approach me to see the other rooms and find it odd that the rooms are locked, I tell them why and a couple true stories and I think it gives them a good story to tell back home, honeymooners using the TOP of every bed in every room, etc.

Blood where? From the bed onto the carpet? Did you see the guests? Were they okay?.
Joe Bloggs said:
Blood where? From the bed onto the carpet? Did you see the guests? Were they okay?
laughingly said to the housekeeper that the guest did leave with her bf so she wasn't stuffed into her horribly oversized suitcase. blood was soaked thru to the mattress pad and then looked like she (guessing it was she) walked from the bed to the bathroom. the closer we both looked the more we found. big stains and small. i really don't want to be gross about it, so i'll spare the details.

That would constitue a 'cleaning fee' in my book. Are the guests still there?.
Oh, I dunno about that. That's just the kind of thing that leads to hard feelings and crappy reviews, bad word of mouth. Hardly worth the hassle of getting a few bucks out of them just to soothe your anger.
I learned early in my hotel career that it pays to have someone go quickly through checkins to dust, check supplies and especially to check the bathroom. Often at the hotel, we would give a walkin keys to checkout a room for sale, and they would use the restroom and then not take the room.
Better safe than sorry. It may be an aggravation, but it's better than a conflict with the guest. As Innkeepers, the longer you're in business, the more you learn to shrug off the little things. If you don't, you'll go crazy and develop "DIS"

muirford said:
they didn't fit. the clothing was wrong, the way she kept saying everything was darling was wrong. the reason why they were here was off.

muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Oh yeah had that happen as well. Caught the old buzzard as he was walking out of another room.
"AND? Did you book that room as well? Are you going to pay to have that room cleaned again?"
When guests approach me to see the other rooms and find it odd that the rooms are locked, I tell them why and a couple true stories and I think it gives them a good story to tell back home, honeymooners using the TOP of every bed in every room, etc.
I've had that problem as well before i started locking the doors. What is it with honeymooners that they have to try out every bed? Is it the variety they are looking for or what?
angry_smile.gif

muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I've had that problem as well before i started locking the doors. What is it with honeymooners that they have to try out every bed? Is it the variety they are looking for or what?
angry_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
angry_smile.gif
No they are just going at it anywhere they can.
The worst are the trysts. I don't trust people who have "baby on board" in the back window of their mini van with a diff state license plate from their "husband."
I put out some lovely herbal iced tea the other day and asked her as I poured it if her husband likes his sweetened or not? She said "Oh I don't know how he likes it" So much for 10 year anniversary you put down on the reservation form.

muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
angry_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
angry_smile.gif
No they are just going at it anywhere they can.
The worst are the trysts. I don't trust people who have "baby on board" in the back window of their mini van with a diff state license plate from their "husband."
I put out some lovely herbal iced tea the other day and asked her as I poured it if her husband likes his sweetened or not? She said "Oh I don't know how he likes it" So much for 10 year anniversary you put down on the reservation form.
We aren't a big "tryst" destination, thank goodness. I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. Are these the guests asking for the day rate?

That would constitue a 'cleaning fee' in my book. Are the guests still there?
they're gone. the laundry is still running so the jury is still out on whether or not the sheets and mattress pad are a total loss or not.
laundry beeped so i had a look. sheets done in top loader with bleach and cold water, clean. mattress pad done in front loader with bleach and sanitise cycle, clean. carpet is dry and clean.

they're gone. the laundry is still running so the jury is still out on whether or not the sheets and mattress pad are a total loss or not.
laundry beeped so i had a look. sheets done in top loader with bleach and cold water, clean. mattress pad done in front loader with bleach and sanitise cycle, clean. carpet is dry and clean.
At least that's all good. Yay, stain remover stuff!!

MooseTrax said:
Thats great! What laundry detergent do you use?

MooseTrax said:
If you pre-treat bloodstains with hydrogen peroxide, they come out much better when you wash them.

MooseTrax said:
If you pre-treat bloodstains with hydrogen peroxide, they come out much better when you wash them.
Unless it's on your towels, a la pro active solution!
wink_smile.gif

MooseTrax said:
Unless it's on your towels, a la pro active solution!
wink_smile.gif

We get our share of folks using an extra bathroom every now and then and have taken to locking all the unoccupied rooms if we get that "funny vibe" to quote one of my favorite bands Living Colour.
I'll fall back on my long held philosophy that the things we overlook, excuse or condone through silence out of fear of a bad review or hard feelings, we bestow that type of guest on the rest of the innkeeping world the next time around.
Seeing how you dodged the bullet on damage this time, I'd learn from it and trust your instincts on how to handle it from this point on.
That being said, I know what a tub of OxyClean costs, bottles of Shout, the electricity to put something though the washer multiple times and your time fretting over it. So in a similar case where no apology or alerting you to the problem was afforded, thats non-accidental damage in my book.
Even in the few cases where a woman had an "accident" here, she has usually taken "Her Royal Highness" aside and alerted her to the issue.

Back