going with your instincts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would constitue a 'cleaning fee' in my book. Are the guests still there?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
That would constitue a 'cleaning fee' in my book. Are the guests still there?
they're gone. the laundry is still running so the jury is still out on whether or not the sheets and mattress pad are a total loss or not.
laundry beeped so i had a look. sheets done in top loader with bleach and cold water, clean. mattress pad done in front loader with bleach and sanitise cycle, clean. carpet is dry and clean.
MooseTrax said:
they're gone. the laundry is still running so the jury is still out on whether or not the sheets and mattress pad are a total loss or not.
laundry beeped so i had a look. sheets done in top loader with bleach and cold water, clean. mattress pad done in front loader with bleach and sanitise cycle, clean. carpet is dry and clean.
Thats great! What laundry detergent do you use?
If you pre-treat bloodstains with hydrogen peroxide, they come out much better when you wash them.
Unless it's on your towels, a la pro active solution!
wink_smile.gif

We get our share of folks using an extra bathroom every now and then and have taken to locking all the unoccupied rooms if we get that "funny vibe" to quote one of my favorite bands Living Colour.
I'll fall back on my long held philosophy that the things we overlook, excuse or condone through silence out of fear of a bad review or hard feelings, we bestow that type of guest on the rest of the innkeeping world the next time around.
Seeing how you dodged the bullet on damage this time, I'd learn from it and trust your instincts on how to handle it from this point on.
That being said, I know what a tub of OxyClean costs, bottles of Shout, the electricity to put something though the washer multiple times and your time fretting over it. So in a similar case where no apology or alerting you to the problem was afforded, thats non-accidental damage in my book.
Even in the few cases where a woman had an "accident" here, she has usually taken "Her Royal Highness" aside and alerted her to the issue.
the only guests who have ever approached us to tell of a mishpa had broken a glass and wanted to be sure the housekeeper was warned. and they tried to pay for the glass, a 50 cent item. other than that every single stain and mess that we have encountered we have found on out own. no one has evver fessed up that there might be something we wanted to get in the wash immediately. no tat's not correct. one gentleman mentioned his baby had wet the bed and he had pulled the sheets off so it didn't soak in. it must be the damages clause in the registration form. they think if they leave without mentioning it they won't get charged. it is sometimes obvious that there will be an issue in a room-if the guests leave without breakfast, do not say goodbye or do not look me in the eye, that's the first room the housekepper hits.

I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe..
muirford said:
I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe.
Well I just cleaned a toilet with poo stains on it that has been unoccupied. A guest mentioned a book and I said to have a look (and unlocked that room) and sure enough - the little fold was gone on the TP and the lid was up. I lifted the seat and there is was! GRRRRRR!!! You go to get a book and use another guest room toilet? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!
I keep all unoccupied guest room doors locked. I don't want to check in new guests and find crap in their toilet or on it (like in this case).
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe.
Well I just cleaned a toilet with poo stains on it that has been unoccupied. A guest mentioned a book and I said to have a look (and unlocked that room) and sure enough - the little fold was gone on the TP and the lid was up. I lifted the seat and there is was! GRRRRRR!!! You go to get a book and use another guest room toilet? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!
I keep all unoccupied guest room doors locked. I don't want to check in new guests and find crap in their toilet or on it (like in this case).
I learned that right from the get go. I had a woman use other showers because her husband was in theirs. =0
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
I learned that right from the get go. I had a woman use other showers because her husband was in theirs. =0
Oh yeah had that happen as well. Caught the old buzzard as he was walking out of another room.
"What were you doing in there?" I asked him.
"My wife was using our shower."
"AND? Did you book that room as well? Are you going to pay to have that room cleaned again?"
"I only used the bathroom" he says as he skidaddles back to his own room.
When guests approach me to see the other rooms and find it odd that the rooms are locked, I tell them why and a couple true stories and I think it gives them a good story to tell back home, honeymooners using the TOP of every bed in every room, etc.
I've had that problem as well before i started locking the doors. What is it with honeymooners that they have to try out every bed? Is it the variety they are looking for or what?
angry_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
I've had that problem as well before i started locking the doors. What is it with honeymooners that they have to try out every bed? Is it the variety they are looking for or what?
angry_smile.gif
No they are just going at it anywhere they can.
The worst are the trysts. I don't trust people who have "baby on board" in the back window of their mini van with a diff state license plate from their "husband."
I put out some lovely herbal iced tea the other day and asked her as I poured it if her husband likes his sweetened or not? She said "Oh I don't know how he likes it" So much for 10 year anniversary you put down on the reservation form.
Joe Bloggs said:
SweetiePie said:
angry_smile.gif
The worst are the trysts. I don't trust people who have "baby on board" in the back window of their mini van with a diff state license plate from their "husband."
I put out some lovely herbal iced tea the other day and asked her as I poured it if her husband likes his sweetened or not? She said "Oh I don't know how he likes it" So much for 10 year anniversary you put down on the reservation form.
I have to admit...after 21 years I still don't know how he like his iced tea either because he always changes his mind...
embaressed_smile.gif

I am wondering what set off your radar? We are also not as diligent as we should be about locking all the other rooms when they are unoccupied but sometimes I do have a feeling that I should, just to be safe..
muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joe Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Oh yeah had that happen as well. Caught the old buzzard as he was walking out of another room.
"What were you doing in there?" I asked him.
"My wife was using our shower."
"AND? Did you book that room as well? Are you going to pay to have that room cleaned again?"
"I only used the bathroom" he says as he skidaddles back to his own room.
When guests approach me to see the other rooms and find it odd that the rooms are locked, I tell them why and a couple true stories and I think it gives them a good story to tell back home, honeymooners using the TOP of every bed in every room, etc.
angry_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
angry_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
SweetiePie said:
angry_smile.gif
I have to admit...after 21 years I still don't know how he like his iced tea either because he always changes his mind...
embaressed_smile.gif

Mooseberry Inn said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Me neither, and also after 21 years, as we northerners never drink iced tea. Well, rarely...
But I can say (after 21 years) that he'll drink it any way you make it.... we call him the beverage monger... if it's liquid and sitting around he'll drink it.
=)
Kk.

We have purchased door locks for our guest rooms.... now to get them installed... what I'm reading makes me want to get this done asap!

That would constitue a 'cleaning fee' in my book. Are the guests still there?.
MooseTrax said:
Thats great! What laundry detergent do you use?
If you pre-treat bloodstains with hydrogen peroxide, they come out much better when you wash them.
wink_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
wink_smile.gif
Then, that doesn't constitute a blood stain now does it?
wedgie.gif

We have never had a guest use one of our vacant rooms! It seems like such an odd thing that people would feel entitled to using a room that is not theirs!

We have never had a guest use one of our vacant rooms! It seems like such an odd thing that people would feel entitled to using a room that is not theirs!.
NW BB said:
We have never had a guest use one of our vacant rooms! It seems like such an odd thing that people would feel entitled to using a room that is not theirs!
I'll just say that you are lucky! We've had it more than once here. (I'm a slow learner.) The most frequent and blatant usage is the hall bathroom that belongs to a guest room, it is not a 'free for all' bathroom. It now has a lock on it and we're delighted to not have to check that bathroom everyday.
We had one woman (and this is the short version of a very long story) walk in the door on check-in and state she was cancelling one of the rooms she had booked for the weekend. (Thus bringing her from the original 7 room booking finally down to 2 rooms when she walked in.) I rebooked the room for Sat, but it was 8 PM on Fri when she told us that so I could not rebook. I closed the room door on the room she cancelled, but did not lock it. She was told she would have to pay for the room given the lateness of her cancellation. In the morning she smugly handed me her cc and said, 'Here, charge me, I USED the room.' And she had. Without even knowing if someone had booked it for a late arrival, she calmly waltzed in there and slept in the bed and used the shower. As she put it, 'I paid for it, I'm using it.' That is seriously the one time I WISHED I had had a late arrival to find her sleeping in their bed. Not that I would have had a clue what to do next!
Another one was a woman who was invited to a wedding and had no intentions of sleeping with her date (in any reading of the word 'sleep'). She picked an empty room and slept in there, smoked in there (and pitched the butts out the window onto the roof) and made a mess of the sheets with makeup everywhere. That was one time I should have followed MY instincts as Moosetrax did. Lucklily, she was a lousy housekeeper so it was obvious that the bed was made incorrectly so we found her out pretty quickly.
I can't complain, I still leave the doors open all the time. Except the hall bathroom.

Back