Good day of Marketing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I have been sending out mailings for events which happen when it is quiet here as I am trying to get all the small events hit early this year as they tend to fall when we are less busy so I want to get ahead of the pack. I am just thinking outside the box and wondering about other ideas (as we are not competition)
For example we have a large car show I am considering advertising in their magazine (it is a 3 day event) just doing costings.
Just wondering about brainstorming ideas and thinking outside the box. Thinking about events and how to tap into them (ie people attending and exhibiting) we try and get exhibiting people as they stay longer and tend to be single occupancy (ie less work).
I was wondering if anyone's B&B is in a similar area ie would you give them a phone call, postcard, email etc. At the moment I am going to the web site of the event and seeing who is exhibititing and sending them emails and this is quite successful and cost effective but there are some events ie like medical conferences where I struggle to find anyone to contact so am trying to spit ball ideas.
I am also going on 3 marketing courses one a month and I am very excited so I am hoping to learn some new things. (they are free from our local government and I have been on the course with the teacher before and she is really good (susan briggs and has written a ton of books) and she makes you come home and want to do a mass marketing plan and do a ton of stuff.
anyway if anyone has any insights to share I would be glad of them.

We have hardly any big events here at all. I wish we had some because at least if all the hotels filled with conventioneers, we'd get the regular guests who got shut out! Whenever there have been big events they have always been sporting events with all the kids on the teams. That's not our market. We tried getting the grandparents who would come to see the events but they all, who knows why, wanted to stay in the hotel with the kids!
Once, we had a navy ship being commissioned right down the street and we got a full house for 4 days out of that. Until 4 of the rooms cancelled the week before. Then the only guests who stayed with us were snooty. So, next commissioning I didn't even bother. By that time there was a hotel on the waterfront and they all went there. (At very high tide the lobby floods, great planning.)

For example we have a large car show I am considering advertising in their magazine (it is a 3 day event) just doing costings.
That is what I call target marketing. The cost of an ad in a "specialized" publication are usually less and THESE are the people you are trying to get to book with you. Consider making your ad part coupon to use as a way of tracking.

That is what I call target marketing. The cost of an ad in a "specialized" publication are usually less and THESE are the people you are trying to get to book with you. Consider making your ad part coupon to use as a way of tracking..
Now that is a good idea. We advertise in another magazine called fur and feather which costs us $60 and we do it every other year it has had us full for those dates 3 years in a row friday and sat nights so I am looking for something similar for events in August as that is our quiet time so if I could get full for the few events there are it would really help. We are already full for Partylite (2 nights) so that is a good start. I am also mailing the Gem and Mineral Fair exhiitors but quite often the show ground people come in motor homes and caravans to keep the cost down especially if they do a lot of fairs so we will see. I am a it sad because I love going on courses but it is 50% new information and 50% just gets me excited about my place and churning ideas in my head and speaking to people about what they do and maybe that meshes with something I am doing etc. It is all about keeping motivated.

That is what I call target marketing. The cost of an ad in a "specialized" publication are usually less and THESE are the people you are trying to get to book with you. Consider making your ad part coupon to use as a way of tracking..
Now that is a good idea. We advertise in another magazine called fur and feather which costs us $60 and we do it every other year it has had us full for those dates 3 years in a row friday and sat nights so I am looking for something similar for events in August as that is our quiet time so if I could get full for the few events there are it would really help. We are already full for Partylite (2 nights) so that is a good start. I am also mailing the Gem and Mineral Fair exhiitors but quite often the show ground people come in motor homes and caravans to keep the cost down especially if they do a lot of fairs so we will see. I am a it sad because I love going on courses but it is 50% new information and 50% just gets me excited about my place and churning ideas in my head and speaking to people about what they do and maybe that meshes with something I am doing etc. It is all about keeping motivated.
I wish I could get an ad for $60! Even a Biz card ad is about $125 per issue. I just committed for a 1/4 page ad in a bike magazine (distributed free in 6 States thru bike shops, etc) and because I signed up for the early bird - I will get 2 issues for the price of 1 - $560. Even in the horse magazines the cost is about $200 per issue.

I wish I could get an ad for $60! Even a Biz card ad is about $125 per issue. I just committed for a 1/4 page ad in a bike magazine (distributed free in 6 States thru bike shops, etc) and because I signed up for the early bird - I will get 2 issues for the price of 1 - $560. Even in the horse magazines the cost is about $200 per issue.
who are you using for your business cards? we use vistaprint and wait till they are doing 250 for free and I pay to have the vistaprint taken off and then glossy finish and it is usually about $30 or if you pick the free ones you just pay postage works out about $6

I know I am in a quandry about advertising with I know Yorkshire it costs $120 a month but the results are supposed to be excellent but I am torn as it is a lot of money and you have to sign up for a year but if I got 2 more bookings it per month it would pay for itself. my friend bev has had good results with them but I am on the fence at the moment.

who are you using for your business cards? we use vistaprint and wait till they are doing 250 for free and I pay to have the vistaprint taken off and then glossy finish and it is usually about $30 or if you pick the free ones you just pay postage works out about $6
I made a biz card for me using the Publisher that came with Office. I get the card stock at the office supply and print as I need it. I use several cards depending on which "hat" I am wearing at that moment. I got the wrong stock last time - am now in need of more thank goodness. I use the matte finish - last time did not notice and got the laser print for print both sides - ink smears on side 2 if you do not use a laser printer. I print both sides for my City biz card (one side for City Clerk and the other side is Tourist Information Center), only use one side for Rail-Trail Exec Dir, but for the B & B I use one side for contact info and the other side lists what we offer. So it depends on where I am going to be which ones I print and how many.

I know I am in a quandry about advertising with I know Yorkshire it costs $120 a month but the results are supposed to be excellent but I am torn as it is a lot of money and you have to sign up for a year but if I got 2 more bookings it per month it would pay for itself. my friend bev has had good results with them but I am on the fence at the moment.
Do you get advertorial with it? Another reason I do the bike magazine is I get to write an article for each issue I advertise in. I use it to write about our rail-trail and my city including something about the B & B of course. I do not use it as a blah-blah-blah about the B & B because I do not want anyone to look at it as just a commercial.
That is a chunk of change! Can you try a smaller ad for less? The bike magazine is the size of a newspaper like the Chicago Sun-Times or a paper you may have seen - the National Inquirer. The horse magazine is small - like a standard sheet of paper folded in half to give you an idea of the different sizes of the ads. A half page in the horse magazine is smaller than 1/4th page in the bike publication. Distribution is different also.

Do you get advertorial with it? Another reason I do the bike magazine is I get to write an article for each issue I advertise in. I use it to write about our rail-trail and my city including something about the B & B of course. I do not use it as a blah-blah-blah about the B & B because I do not want anyone to look at it as just a commercial.
That is a chunk of change! Can you try a smaller ad for less? The bike magazine is the size of a newspaper like the Chicago Sun-Times or a paper you may have seen - the National Inquirer. The horse magazine is small - like a standard sheet of paper folded in half to give you an idea of the different sizes of the ads. A half page in the horse magazine is smaller than 1/4th page in the bike publication. Distribution is different also.
sorry my fault I wasn't clear I know yorkshire is a web site directory it fields enquiries to you and you can tie it up to your online booking with it. a few other people that I know use it with good effect but it is a lot of money over the year.

sorry my fault I wasn't clear I know yorkshire is a web site directory it fields enquiries to you and you can tie it up to your online booking with it. a few other people that I know use it with good effect but it is a lot of money over the year.
It is more than a lot of money - it is BIG money. $120 per month is even a bigger blood suck than the 800 lb gorilla!

It is more than a lot of money - it is BIG money. $120 per month is even a bigger blood suck than the 800 lb gorilla!
Yes but it does make a lot of money but I am just trying to assess whether it is enough money to balance out. For example if I get 3 more bookings a month from it then that's it paid for and then I am into profit.

Yes but it does make a lot of money but I am just trying to assess whether it is enough money to balance out. For example if I get 3 more bookings a month from it then that's it paid for and then I am into profit.
Yes, that is the Russian Roulette we play with our marketing - IF this does x more...... Sometimes you just have to say Bugger, and do it and then celebrate or cry at the end.

Yes, that is the Russian Roulette we play with our marketing - IF this does x more...... Sometimes you just have to say Bugger, and do it and then celebrate or cry at the end.
exactly trouble is you have to sign up for a year if I could do 3 months to try I would do it in a flash but 12 months is a lot to commit to.

exactly trouble is you have to sign up for a year if I could do 3 months to try I would do it in a flash but 12 months is a lot to commit to.
What did you decide to do?

Back