Good deed or chump?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Without getting into the whole story, we have long time repeat guests coming in tonight a week early. They have rescheduled because her mother died unexpectedly and they need to go home (we're 'on the way' from their vacation home to their house). I had a variety of rooms open but I decided to give her our best room at her 'usual' room price because this room is off the beaten path and she can avoid the other guests if she chooses to.
We discussed whether we would even charge them at all, but because they already had the rez for next week we went with the discounted price on the best room.

I vote good deed. They are repeat and in this instance you KNOW the Mother died.

I strongly believe in paying it forward. Explain what you have done and why and then tell them to pay it forward. At that point, you can just let it go, knowing that you have added one more good deed to the world.

I'm going against the grain here. She would have paid for a room next week - right? I'm assuming you aren't charging her for that cancellation so this is an expected expense. I would upgrade her but still charge her "usual rate"

I'm going against the grain here. She would have paid for a room next week - right? I'm assuming you aren't charging her for that cancellation so this is an expected expense. I would upgrade her but still charge her "usual rate".
Right, altho she's inside the cancel period, I'm not charging for next week.
They're here. Love the 'new' room (they ALWAYS take the same room). They've gotten it at a good discount. And I feel fine about it. I still have lower-priced rooms I could have given them 'last minute' but this sits well with me.

I'm going against the grain here. She would have paid for a room next week - right? I'm assuming you aren't charging her for that cancellation so this is an expected expense. I would upgrade her but still charge her "usual rate".
They're here. Love the 'new' room (they ALWAYS take the same room). They've gotten it at a good discount. And I feel fine about it. I still have lower-priced rooms I could have given them 'last minute' but this sits well with me.
The "feeling" of doing what is right with you and yourself is worth more than the money that may have been generated. They will remember your kindness.

I agree. You did the right thing.

Alibi Ike said:
They're here. Love the 'new' room (they ALWAYS take the same room). They've gotten it at a good discount. And I feel fine about it.
There's your answer right there.
Good deed! It will be interesting to see if they do the upgrade on their next visit.

Alibi Ike said:
this sits well with me.
I think this is all that matters!

See - to me it's the perfect solution. You really know them and they are multiple repeat guests. SO no second thoughts on charges for the date change, despite your policy, which really helped them out.
They got to stay somewhere they feel comfortable (much needed) and you got to show your concern (as a business owner) by doing something good for them.
They may upgrade themselves to that room next time .... and at very least they have another room to tell people about when they recommend you.
You feel good .... they feel nurtured ....
I upgrade a lot (or at least offer the option) and more often than not they have booked the upgraded room on return trips (or friends have booked that room when they visit for the first time).

Back