Good hotel coffee starts with ice - Hotel tip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we're on a well, we offer filtered water for our in room coffee makers. Our well water is wonderful, but just has a high mineral content that will do a number on the coffee pots.

This is info for YOU when you travel, not for your guests.
wink_smile.gif
We only serve the best, we know that.

cooking with a coffee pot - I'll have to explore that website some more. My sister's well water will not go thru a coffee filter -too many minerals. they have to use bottled water for their coffee making. :-(

wow! now, THAT is a GREAT TIP.
i was thinking to myself ... before reading it, hotels don't have great coffee .... what could this be about?

Good tip...if the coffee maker is clean. I'll never use a hotel coffee maker again after watching those scary videos about how they clean them..... blech.

Good tip...if the coffee maker is clean. I'll never use a hotel coffee maker again after watching those scary videos about how they clean them..... blech..
Samster said:
Good tip...if the coffee maker is clean. I'll never use a hotel coffee maker again after watching those scary videos about how they clean them..... blech.
In my room cleaning kit, I have Dawn dishwashing liquid, bleach and a clean dish towel. After I have disinfected the sink, I wash ALL the cups, coffee pot, wine glasses etc. in hot soapy water with a bleach pre-rinse and then hot water rinse.
I've seen those same videos. yuk! When it comes to innkeeping, do unto others....

Good tip...if the coffee maker is clean. I'll never use a hotel coffee maker again after watching those scary videos about how they clean them..... blech..
Samster said:
In my room cleaning kit, I have Dawn dishwashing liquid, bleach and a clean dish towel. After I have disinfected the sink, I wash ALL the cups, coffee pot, wine glasses etc. in hot soapy water with a bleach pre-rinse and then hot water rinse.
I've seen those same videos. yuk! When it comes to innkeeping, do unto others....
I put everything into the dishwashers, including the glass coffee maker carafes, when folks checked out. For stayovers, I did what you did with the coffee carafes. Used glasses, mugs, etc. got removed from the rooms and went in the dishwasher. That's how I roll.....

Samster said:
I put everything into the dishwashers, including the glass coffee maker carafes, when folks checked out. For stayovers, I did what you did with the coffee carafes. Used glasses, mugs, etc. got removed from the rooms and went in the dishwasher. That's how I roll.....
Samster said:
Our B&B evolved from our "weekend" home. Subsequently, we have a small galley kitchen and wash everything by hand. Our cottages are 100 yards from the main cabin. It's much easier to wash everything in situ than to lug it back and forth.

Samster said:
Samster said:
Our B&B evolved from our "weekend" home. Subsequently, we have a small galley kitchen and wash everything by hand. Our cottages are 100 yards from the main cabin. It's much easier to wash everything in situ than to lug it back and forth.
Yep, I hear you....I had to lug plenty of stuff to and from our second house next door. :)

Samster said:
State regs around here require doing what you're doing in reverse...hot, soapy wash first, clean water rinse and bleach rinse after. No other rinsing after that.
We put it all in the dishwasher. But I don't have to 'go' anywhere to get the dirty dishes like you do.

Samster said:
State regs around here require doing what you're doing in reverse...hot, soapy wash first, clean water rinse and bleach rinse after. No other rinsing after that.
We put it all in the dishwasher. But I don't have to 'go' anywhere to get the dirty dishes like you do.
Morticia said:
No rinse after the bleach?? Wouldn't there be bleach residue?

Samster said:
Morticia said:
That's why you don't use a lot of bleach in the rinse water. It's a 'sanitizing' amount. And then the dishes have to be air dried. No towel-drying allowed.
That's the '3 bay sink' method of washing dishes if there is no dishwasher handy.

Samster said:
Morticia said:
That's why you don't use a lot of bleach in the rinse water. It's a 'sanitizing' amount. And then the dishes have to be air dried. No towel-drying allowed.
That's the '3 bay sink' method of washing dishes if there is no dishwasher handy.
Also the camping method of washing dishes. :)

Samster said:
Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
Morticia said:
We do that, too. It's a tbsp of bleach into a sink full of water.

the bleach to disinfect is just a small amount ... like 10% bleach, 90% water. i had to have testing strips on hand at the b&b in case my dishwasher with steri cycle wasn't working or in case i was washing by hand to show that i was properly sterilizing with the solution i used it in the big coffee urns. worked great to get the stains out.
i just saw Dawn plus bleach alternative - my niece was using it to clean baby bottles, etc. by hand. i don't know why, because it says right on the product info that it doesn't contain any form of bleach and it does not disinfect. and the antibacterial one says it removes bacteria from hands when used for hand washing but not from dishes? but i would never challenge a new mom's choices.

Samster said:
Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
Morticia said:
We do that, too. It's a tbsp of bleach into a sink full of water.
We do not have a dishwasher other than DH. We use a plastic tub for our third sink. Per the Health Dept videos - 1 tablespoon of water per one gallon or TEPID (lukewarm) water. Hot water kills the bleach.
Soapy water wash, hot water rinse, and a minimum of one minute in the bleach rinse before air dry.

cooking with a coffee pot - I'll have to explore that website some more. My sister's well water will not go thru a coffee filter -too many minerals. they have to use bottled water for their coffee making. :-(.
Well...if this guy claims you can get "homestyle" cooking from the warmer plate of a coffee maker...it makes me a little sad for what he associates with "homestyle cooking."

Samster said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Depending on your water quality, you'll still have to wipe them down to remove water spots. So, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
We are in weird county. No health regulations regarding a B&B. The state leaves it to the County Health Department. Fortunately, I've had some food handling training and it's just good business to do things the right way. I could let sooooo much slide, but that would be just stupid.

One of the biggest frustrations when traveling is staying organized in your hotel room. An over-the-door shoe organizer is one of the most helpful items you can pack. www.uggs-hot-boots.com/uk/index.html After you check-in, hang this on the bathroom door and fill it with all of your toiletries or other items – yes, even shoes. The clear plastic variety is the best, so you can see the contents – and so can everyone else in your traveling party.It works great for toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair brushes/combs, hairspray, aspirin, rain ponchos, etc. Everything is at your fingertips!

Back