Good Luck copperhead and all

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Just wanting to wish good luck and no damage to all in the path of Isaac!
I feel guilty hoping the storm will bring us much-needed rain up here in Arkansas.

Batten down the hatches and stay safe all of you in the deep south!.
It has skirted off West of us but we have been getting some rain. Some pretty good winds on Monday when we were on vacation so my housesitter took everything down on the porch and secured everything pretty well.
I feel deeply for all the folks who are going through this in the NOLA area yet again after 7 years ago.....

Just got home about 4:15 AM. Just came on hoping to hear if Copperhead was OK. Here is hoping she come through unscathed.

Lots of power outages down there. May be a week or more offline except maybe by cell phone.

She posted on her FB page yesterday around 6:00 a.m. - they were waiting on the second landfall at that time. Haven't heard anything since.

Just got home about 4:15 AM. Just came on hoping to hear if Copperhead was OK. Here is hoping she come through unscathed..
They have gotten a huge amount of rainfall and power outages are up to almost a million in the entire area.
Yep they have alot of flooded areas in her town especially in South and downtown. No power, hospital on generator. Lots of folks evacuated. But my brother in law says they are still high and dry but water all around. They have a generator from their RV they are using.

There has been a copperhead sighting, so alive and power on I guess!

I have been trying to post to this thread for a couple of days. Just informed it may have been due to an update of Fi reFo x.
Thank you all for thinking of me and all in the path.
To give you the skinny.... We are fine, no water and do have power as of Friday night (hallelujah). This storm was a storm that kept pounding. The area received over 10" of rain and then as the storm finally moved north west the rain started comming down all the lakes and streams which caused flooding in my city south of me (not the BIG city) and has threatened breaches into 2 dams to the west of us. River near us (2-3 blocks over) is cresting tomorrow at 5 feet above flood stage which may affect homes downstream and close to the river.
We were fortunate that we were not affected by the water, the wind however did some minor damage and some electrical issues as well as lost all food (2 refrigerators and 3 freezers) due to loss of power.
Glad to see this rain maker pouring down in areas which could have used all that it had to offer. Meanwhile we are back up and open for business! And as we say down here: "Laissez les bon temps rouler"!

It's always so sad to have to throw out food after a power outage. At least our own power outages tend to come due to winter storms so we can often store stuff outside in sub-freezing weather and save it. For some reason, though, ice cream won't survive, we think, so must be eaten right away!
We've solved our outage problem with a generator, but that's not so practical if outages are rare.
Glad you rode it out so well. Indeed, let the good times roll!

It's always so sad to have to throw out food after a power outage. At least our own power outages tend to come due to winter storms so we can often store stuff outside in sub-freezing weather and save it. For some reason, though, ice cream won't survive, we think, so must be eaten right away!
We've solved our outage problem with a generator, but that's not so practical if outages are rare.
Glad you rode it out so well. Indeed, let the good times roll!.
Arkansawyer said:
Generators are more flaky than women! DH worked on 2 of them (generators that is, lol) for 2 days prior to the storm and finally got one to turn over and it was generating power.... When we cranked it up after the power went off, while it ran, it did not produce any juice.

Arkansawyer said:
Generators are more flaky than women! DH worked on 2 of them (generators that is, lol) for 2 days prior to the storm and finally got one to turn over and it was generating power.... When we cranked it up after the power went off, while it ran, it did not produce any juice.
CH, that happened to us after we installed a new generator. Turned on, but no juice to house. I made some frantic calls and it turned out we had to flip a switch. I'll double check with DH what switch that was a let you know. Who knows, it might help.
Our old hard-wired generator finally bit the dust and we installed a newer, bigger one. Once we got it working in the last power failure, it worked like a charm and we can now power the whole property. Before, we had to turn off electric hot water heaters, etc. It was a chunk of change, but we need it here in the country with the winter storms. We pump in our own water, so no power, no water=no guests$$$$$$

Arkansawyer said:
CH, that happened to us after we installed a new generator. Turned on, but no juice to house. I made some frantic calls and it turned out we had to flip a switch. I'll double check with DH what switch that was a let you know. Who knows, it might help.
Our old hard-wired generator finally bit the dust and we installed a newer, bigger one. Once we got it working in the last power failure, it worked like a charm and we can now power the whole property. Before, we had to turn off electric hot water heaters, etc. It was a chunk of change, but we need it here in the country with the winter storms. We pump in our own water, so no power, no water=no guests$$$$$$
Breakfast Diva said:
Hey BD, sounds like you have the fancy deluxe model ;). Ours are protable ones which are as I said flaky at best - even though they are the more expensive ones. Portable ones are prefered here due to the wind issues - we can store them more securely then move them in place. These do have a switch as well, still did not turn on the juice. We are now in line for a service call to have it looked at & be prepared if another one comes our way. We too pump our own water, no power, no water = no $$$ you are so right.

Arkansawyer said:
That is too bad they didn't work. Do you do regular maintenance on them, Put in new gas with stabilizer in it? Etc. We've had one for many years and we have never had it fail us. It is a portable, but all set up in it's own little outdoor storage so that it can be started and then plugs right into the elec. panel and voila...water pump, well and lights and heat from our oil fired old furnace back up if we need it.

Back