Good News: Travel Loyalty Program Membership is Shrinking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does this mean those of us who offer discounts to loyal guests are out in left field and giving away money? Would guests rather have the upgrade or the free coffee mug rather than the discount? I think so. I'm sensing that our guests who received the coffee mugs really liked them, and they remembered that long after they forgot the discount.
Do any of you call your guests to make sure they got home ok? To me, that is not sincere from a hotel POV. You know that is a 'job' that will be assigned to someone who may not even have met the guest. And if we won't even call or email that something was left behind, why would we call to see if they arrived home and who knows WHEN they'll be arriving home!

So does this mean those of us who offer discounts to loyal guests are out in left field and giving away money? Would guests rather have the upgrade or the free coffee mug rather than the discount? I think so. I'm sensing that our guests who received the coffee mugs really liked them, and they remembered that long after they forgot the discount.
Do any of you call your guests to make sure they got home ok? To me, that is not sincere from a hotel POV. You know that is a 'job' that will be assigned to someone who may not even have met the guest. And if we won't even call or email that something was left behind, why would we call to see if they arrived home and who knows WHEN they'll be arriving home!.
My guests care about the discount. They could care less about getting a mug or something to tote home.
I have guests that call or email ME to let me know that they got home OK. It's cute.
Of course, all the guests get a thank you email, too.

Okay here is my sentiment and most of you will disagree for some odd reason, and that is okay. It is one of those times the forum is a enigma to rational thinking. LOL
People like saving money. I know that is hard to fathom, but they do! People, all of them, everywhere. People shop sales, don't all of you innkeepers want something on sale versus full price?
People sticker dicker at car dealerships - thus the term to dicker. Yes even the luxury vehicles. Having said that, it is typically the average joe who tips around here and appears to appreciate everything more, not the elite. But the elite are just as apt to want to save a few bucks on their rooms as anyone else.

Bree said:
My 'cash' guy was cherry as could be this AM. Dickering is in his blood, no harm no foul because he didn't get more off. AND, they are coming back in Oct. So, yes, guests like discounts. But, only a few of them have ever specifically mentioned the discount when booking or checking in. But a lot more talk about the mugs they got and how much they like using them and remembering their vacation. Everyone who got a mug also got the discount.
And a lot of guests who have been coming for years have said they would come without the discount. So, maybe those are the converts!
Let me proceed further...the converts are there because? I mean why are they there, an event or to do something, like shop an annual sale? Just curious. Yes we can convert plenty...
I am totally different, I never stay at the same place twice, never vacation the same place twice. Too much to see and do out there!

Bree said:
My 'cash' guy was cherry as could be this AM. Dickering is in his blood, no harm no foul because he didn't get more off. AND, they are coming back in Oct. So, yes, guests like discounts. But, only a few of them have ever specifically mentioned the discount when booking or checking in. But a lot more talk about the mugs they got and how much they like using them and remembering their vacation. Everyone who got a mug also got the discount.
And a lot of guests who have been coming for years have said they would come without the discount. So, maybe those are the converts!
Let me proceed further...the converts are there because? I mean why are they there, an event or to do something, like shop an annual sale? Just curious. Yes we can convert plenty...
I am totally different, I never stay at the same place twice, never vacation the same place twice. Too much to see and do out there!.
We don't have 'events' per se other than college stuff. They come to this town because they are on their way someplace else (ouch, that hurts but it's true) or they come to shop or take short day trips and this town has a lot of stuff in walking distance at night when they're sick of the car.
They're converts to this particular B&B vs other places in town they went before. But I'm not sure it's the discount. It might be hubs. He just got a very nice review online.
I think a lot of guests stop here because it's convenient to get to somewhere else from here and they know us and know what to expect.
Why they continue to come to the same town, tho, I don't know. All I can explain is why I did it...I needed a place I could go to get away where I didn't need the car once I arrived, it was close driving distance to where I lived (in case my kids needed me back quickly), felt comfortable on my own, knew where everything was and knew there were things to do that I like to do. I just wanted a beach I could walk on and I did not want a honky tonk beach. That narrows it down quite a bit!

Okay here is my sentiment and most of you will disagree for some odd reason, and that is okay. It is one of those times the forum is a enigma to rational thinking. LOL
People like saving money. I know that is hard to fathom, but they do! People, all of them, everywhere. People shop sales, don't all of you innkeepers want something on sale versus full price?
People sticker dicker at car dealerships - thus the term to dicker. Yes even the luxury vehicles. Having said that, it is typically the average joe who tips around here and appears to appreciate everything more, not the elite. But the elite are just as apt to want to save a few bucks on their rooms as anyone else..
My 'cash' guy was cheery as could be this AM. Dickering is in his blood, no harm no foul because he didn't get more off. AND, they are coming back in Oct. So, yes, guests like discounts. But, only a few of them have ever specifically mentioned the discount when booking or checking in. But a lot more talk about the mugs they got and how much they like using them and remembering their vacation. Everyone who got a mug also got the discount.

People sticker dicker at car dealerships - thus the term to dicker. Yes even the luxury vehicles. Having said that, it is typically the average joe who tips around here and appears to appreciate everything more, not the elite. But the elite are just as apt to want to save a few bucks on their rooms as anyone else..
My 'cash' guy was cheery as could be this AM. Dickering is in his blood, no harm no foul because he didn't get more off. AND, they are coming back in Oct. So, yes, guests like discounts. But, only a few of them have ever specifically mentioned the discount when booking or checking in. But a lot more talk about the mugs they got and how much they like using them and remembering their vacation. Everyone who got a mug also got the discount.
Bree said:
I think that's a good way to do it: discount (small) with tangible gift.
People might like a discount, but it's fleeting, whereas gifts stay with people, reminding them of their vacation.
Gifts also tend to have a higher perceived value than monetary discounts. If a guest gets a $20 discount, the perceived value is usually less than $20 for the simple reason that market value of a commodity is whatever someone is will to pay and someone is willing to sell for. Ie, the rack rate appears inflated.
A guest rarely knows the actual value of a tangible gift, and they perceive the value based on its usefulness and longevity as well as sentimental reasons (a momento of their trip), which is generally higher than the actual cost to the innkeeper.

Bree said:
I think that's a good way to do it: discount (small) with tangible gift.
People might like a discount, but it's fleeting, whereas gifts stay with people, reminding them of their vacation.
Gifts also tend to have a higher perceived value than monetary discounts. If a guest gets a $20 discount, the perceived value is usually less than $20 for the simple reason that market value of a commodity is whatever someone is will to pay and someone is willing to sell for. Ie, the rack rate appears inflated.
A guest rarely knows the actual value of a tangible gift, and they perceive the value based on its usefulness and longevity as well as sentimental reasons (a momento of their trip), which is generally higher than the actual cost to the innkeeper.
I have given away tangible gifts as well. They couldn't care a hoot about it. On the other hand, the repeats have said, "You have such a wonderful place here and we are so happy that you gave a discount for x reason! We were thinking about one of the 'budget' alternatives but with your discount we so appreciate it because every little bit helps!" I get this from people that live in million dollar plus homes and regular Joes. Heck, I guest who flew here in their PRIVATE JET told me that!
I have people here for multiple days. A one night stay is very rare. My rates start at $165 to $215. There are guests who tell me I should raise them, too. I agree with Joe Bloggs....everyone loves a discount and if they have great perceived value on top of it, that's a bonus.

Back