Good or bad? Police car across the street

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How would you feel about this, a police car parked across the street when the policeman is at home off duty. We believe he just moved into the apartments there.
Do you feel this is good, a good presence or a negative one with guests thinking something is going on over there?

I wouldn't mind it. I think it is pretty common in fairly rural areas like ours. They drive their cars home...some places are cutting back on this practice I have heard.

First reaction is, 'What's going on over there?' Because you don't get a lot of walkins, might not ever be a guest issue. If guests do mention it, it's your chance to handle it with a snappy comeback or however you want to handle it.
If I were to see an empty police car, no radio on, no lights, I would assume the car lives there. It's when the lights are going and the radio is on that there's a problem.

Joey Bloggs said:
How would you feel about this, a police car parked across the street when the policeman is at home off duty. We believe he just moved into the apartments there.
Do you feel this is good, a good presence or a negative one with guests thinking something is going on over there?
Across the street is ok in my opinion. What grinds my gears is our local cops park on our side street right next to the Inn and watch for speeders coming down the hill. Because we are a rural location, with plenty of tree cover, you can't see the police car until you drive past it. This I feel puts our Inn in a negative light. I have asked them on many occassions to please not park there, but they still do. Maybe I will bait them with muffins next time....

Joey Bloggs said:
Across the street is ok in my opinion. What grinds my gears is our local cops park on our side street right next to the Inn and watch for speeders coming down the hill. Because we are a rural location, with plenty of tree cover, you can't see the police car until you drive past it. This I feel puts our Inn in a negative light. I have asked them on many occassions to please not park there, but they still do. Maybe I will bait them with muffins next time.....
just make sure you "warn" your guests ahead of time...save them the cost of a speeding ticket:)

police car parked normally on the road or in a driveway is fine. would actually make me feel safe. i'd see it, figure someone lived there.
growing up, a few policemen were dads in my neighborhood ... their cars were there when they were home ... sort of mayberryish. and i liked it. actually, a woman police officer lives across from where i am now and she drives her patrol car home if she's on call or however it works.
ps do you know your neighbors? can you go over and meet the driver?

I would not think anything of it if there were no police activity and the car was parked, no lights etc... This is common practice around here too.

I think some guests might wonder what's up with that. I'd make sure to let them know, in as light a manner as possible, that they're in the safest B&B around - with a cop living just across the street!

I think take-home squads are pretty common today. I doubt if anyone would think twice about it - unless the bubblegum machine was spinning. THAT might make them think about it if there was no car sitting in front of it.

I wouldn't worry about it being an issue...if there are no lights and no siren I doubt most people would even notice it.
I would try to go introduce yourself though, never know when it might come in handy to be friends with the neighborhood police officer!

I wouldn't worry about it being an issue...if there are no lights and no siren I doubt most people would even notice it.
I would try to go introduce yourself though, never know when it might come in handy to be friends with the neighborhood police officer!.
I can tell you from experience that I love having a cop next door!

First reaction is, 'What's going on over there?' Because you don't get a lot of walkins, might not ever be a guest issue. If guests do mention it, it's your chance to handle it with a snappy comeback or however you want to handle it.
If I were to see an empty police car, no radio on, no lights, I would assume the car lives there. It's when the lights are going and the radio is on that there's a problem..
Bree said:
If I were to see an empty police car, no radio on, no lights, I would assume the car lives there. It's when the lights are going and the radio is on that there's a problem.
I agree completely. An empy, parked police car shouldn't scare anyone off.

I would try to go introduce yourself though, never know when it might come in handy to be friends with the neighborhood police officer!.
Yeah we know all the town police and the sheriff's dept personally here. This is a new rookie. I like rookies - they have the barnie fife complex - you know punk with a badge and are always on the look out for someone to bust! Works for me esp when there are apartments over there in three old houses side by side. :)

I think some guests might wonder what's up with that. I'd make sure to let them know, in as light a manner as possible, that they're in the safest B&B around - with a cop living just across the street!.
Innkeeper To Go said:
...I'd make sure to let them know, in as light a manner as possible, that they're in the safest B&B around - with a cop living just across the street!
That's a great way to casually inform your guests.
seashanty said:
bring over some cookies!
Unless you're certain that they've just moved into that apartment very recently, do not do this unless you want to be branded as a suck up by the policeman.

I think some guests might wonder what's up with that. I'd make sure to let them know, in as light a manner as possible, that they're in the safest B&B around - with a cop living just across the street!.
Innkeeper To Go said:
...I'd make sure to let them know, in as light a manner as possible, that they're in the safest B&B around - with a cop living just across the street!
seashanty said:
bring over some cookies!
Unless you're certain that they've just moved into that apartment very recently, do not do this unless you want to be branded as a suck up by the policeman.
I'm sorry, but it's never too early to be nice to a new neighbor, or to let a cop know that you appreciate the job they do, especially as a business owner.

Innkeeper To Go said:
seashanty said:
bring over some cookies!
I'm sorry, but it's never too early to be nice to a new neighbor, or to let a cop know that you appreciate the job they do, especially as a business owner.
thumbs_up.gif
I agree, I don't think any new neighbor would see you as being a "suck up", cop or no.

a suck up? that's harsh. what is wrong with welcoming a new neighbor? especially one who puts his/her life on the line for me? i also bring cupcakes to the local firestation because they don't leave at mealtime.
guess i won't be inviting you to my neighborhood cookie swap.

Back