Good presentation on attracting tourism

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Link to very good PDF presentation developed by state of Illinois regarding attracting tourists (especially baby boomers) to small towns. http://goo.gl/dCozm
Some characteristics it lists of Boomers:
  • Like "quick, easy, and convenient"
  • Like site-doing vs. site-seeing
  • Like intellectually stimulating travel
  • Like to meet people
  • See themselves as young
  • Want fun, unique experiences
  • Want "bragging rights"
  • Will pay for luxury, expertise, and convenience
  • Like being with people like themselves

The list isn't up for debate is it? Just got a call from a DR so and so who called to say "I booked two rooms and only got $10 off one of them!"
*You must enter the code to receive online discounts "BOOKONLINE" $10 off is valid for one night, and once per reservation/party.
"Will pay for luxury, expertise, and convenience"

The list isn't up for debate is it? Just got a call from a DR so and so who called to say "I booked two rooms and only got $10 off one of them!"
*You must enter the code to receive online discounts "BOOKONLINE" $10 off is valid for one night, and once per reservation/party.
"Will pay for luxury, expertise, and convenience".
Here, everything is up for debate! There are always exceptions, and you draw more than your share!
In the presentation, it says "they will pay more, but demand value". I guess that means if it looks like it's worth the money, they have the money and will spend it. Another plug for adding more value rather than cutting prices.
The presentation also shows that boomers are about 25% of the travelers, and Gen X'ers are about 50%.

Here, everything is up for debate! There are always exceptions, and you draw more than your share!
In the presentation, it says "they will pay more, but demand value". I guess that means if it looks like it's worth the money, they have the money and will spend it. Another plug for adding more value rather than cutting prices.
The presentation also shows that boomers are about 25% of the travelers, and Gen X'ers are about 50%.
I have found (in my experience) the boomers get super rates and then put three bubbles on TA for VALUE. It happens every time, when, as you know, we give them everything including the kitchen sink! (Which we all agree we need to stop doing!) :)
and btw thanks for sharing this Arkie.

I have found (in my experience) the boomers get super rates and then put three bubbles on TA for VALUE. It happens every time, when, as you know, we give them everything including the kitchen sink! (Which we all agree we need to stop doing!) :)
Yes, I think when they rate value, they give 3 bubbles if they think it's a fair deal. From there, they go down if they think it wasn't worth all they paid, and up if they think they got more than their money's worth.
A top rating from them only comes if they think they got a GREAT deal that was REALLY cheap. That doesn't come along often.

I'll never understand what is valuable to anyone. We have had guests comment on what was lacking in their previous B&B (oh, goody, we have that here!) and how much more it cost them there than here, then see the review show less than 5 bubbles for value, the same rating they gave the high-priced place that charged them extra for what they got here for free!
They can't all be scrolling errors.
As for the % of travelers- reversed here. More like 75% boomers and up and 25% kids of boomers.

I'll never understand what is valuable to anyone. We have had guests comment on what was lacking in their previous B&B (oh, goody, we have that here!) and how much more it cost them there than here, then see the review show less than 5 bubbles for value, the same rating they gave the high-priced place that charged them extra for what they got here for free!
They can't all be scrolling errors.
As for the % of travelers- reversed here. More like 75% boomers and up and 25% kids of boomers.
Madeleine said:
I guess these stats would be percent of travelers overall, not percent staying at B&Bs. Perhaps boomer travelers are more likely to stay at a B&B and Gen X travelers are more likely to stay at a hotel.

Yes, I think when they rate value, they give 3 bubbles if they think it's a fair deal. From there, they go down if they think it wasn't worth all they paid, and up if they think they got more than their money's worth.
A top rating from them only comes if they think they got a GREAT deal that was REALLY cheap. That doesn't come along often.
Arkansawyer said:
But it do it do!
How about a BOGO? Is that not a great value? Seriousely. If you got ONE NIGHT FREE at a B&B would you be inclined to say "HEY THAT WAS A GREAT DEAL!"
- Stash Tea BOGO
- iloveinns BOGO
Those are two national BOGO that many of us have participated in, there may be regional as well.

as a gen x person (I think) I rank it on what I get for my money however I think gen Y people are less realistic about what things cost as they remember what prices were 20 years ago and think they should stay the same.

as a gen x person (I think) I rank it on what I get for my money however I think gen Y people are less realistic about what things cost as they remember what prices were 20 years ago and think they should stay the same..
as a gen x person (I think) I rank it on what I get for my money however I think gen Y people are less realistic about what things cost as they remember what prices were 20 years ago and think they should stay the same.
I know what prices are because I shop and see the prices of food and gas and utilities rise. I think the young are the ones who really have no idea (I mean the recent college group) because their parents were paying for everything and they just got whatever they wanted. This is as much a generalization as any of the group categories are. You just CHARGE IT.
I get a lot of calls asking my rates and a shocked response when I tell them. I guess they think because I am in WV the prices should be dirt cheap.
This group has given me the impetus to raise my rates. I still have one "budget room" under 100, but find they will pay for the "best room. I made the shared queen available as a private bath for $5 less than the ensuite - they popped for the extra $5 per night. It was funny, making the rez for the queen shared she asked about private bath and I told her we can make it a private bath for... Oh I guess for $5 more I will take the other room. YES!!!!!!!

Our more expensive rooms are always booked first and more often. Baby boomers are probably our biggest group. But if the age range stays the same that should change in the next five years or so.

as a gen x person (I think) I rank it on what I get for my money however I think gen Y people are less realistic about what things cost as they remember what prices were 20 years ago and think they should stay the same..
I know what prices are because I shop and see the prices of food and gas and utilities rise. I think the young are the ones who really have no idea (I mean the recent college group) because their parents were paying for everything and they just got whatever they wanted. This is as much a generalization as any of the group categories are. You just CHARGE IT.
I get a lot of calls asking my rates and a shocked response when I tell them. I guess they think because I am in WV the prices should be dirt cheap.
This group has given me the impetus to raise my rates. I still have one "budget room" under 100, but find they will pay for the "best room. I made the shared queen available as a private bath for $5 less than the ensuite - they popped for the extra $5 per night. It was funny, making the rez for the queen shared she asked about private bath and I told her we can make it a private bath for... Oh I guess for $5 more I will take the other room. YES!!!!!!!
Just had a lady check in who had been booked out to me from a big hotel (really nice lady) had come last minute for the conference and was struggling to find anywhere and then when she got to the travel lodge they said sorry we are over booked this is where you are going. They told her i was more expensive and that they would pay the difference they had charged her £85 on booking and i only asked for £80 so that was a lie and I told her! she loves her room and will be staying with us next year. bloody hotels have a fricking cheek! 3 conferences overlap today its a complete zoo! I only had a room cos last night 9pm a room for 2 nights cancelled but I resold in 20 mins and another woman rang and cancelled this morning for tonight for 2 nights so just charged the 1st night of each and resold everything commission free for more money!

Just had a lady check in who had been booked out to me from a big hotel (really nice lady) had come last minute for the conference and was struggling to find anywhere and then when she got to the travel lodge they said sorry we are over booked this is where you are going. They told her i was more expensive and that they would pay the difference they had charged her £85 on booking and i only asked for £80 so that was a lie and I told her! she loves her room and will be staying with us next year. bloody hotels have a fricking cheek! 3 conferences overlap today its a complete zoo! I only had a room cos last night 9pm a room for 2 nights cancelled but I resold in 20 mins and another woman rang and cancelled this morning for tonight for 2 nights so just charged the 1st night of each and resold everything commission free for more money!
I love Commission free - good for you. And more money is wonderful.
BTW, we have gottem us to over 10k in the voting. Stuck in #17 right now. Maybe we can bring it up while everyone is destracvted with the holiday - I hope.

Back