Good thing they decided only to give her a stroke and not to kill her...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
6 AM, wake up to a voice message from 9 pm last night from a guest who is checking in today for 2 nights. So sorry, my M-I-L has had a stroke and is in the hospital, we'll need to cancel. Please can we move our reservation to a different date?
I email to say thank you, received your call and will open up your room, as is outlined in your confirmation (attached below), cancellations within 7 days of stay do result in full charges. Should we be able to re-book the room for both nights we will refund the charges less our processing fee.
8 AM, phone call, oh she's doing much better, we've decided to come.
WHEE!!!!!!!!!

Every time I think I have a handle on this, something else comes up to slap me senseless...we had a new grandchild born this week. He was put into the NICU almost immediately with breathing problems. Grandpa took off in the morning to go see his daughter -as she was alone! Baby in NICU, her husband with baby, her older child with babysitter...there sits mom, post partum and alone! Dad to the rescue. (Baby out of NICU but cannot go home until he completes a course of antibiotics which means next week sometime.)
I'm holding down the fort here. My mother calls...my dad in the ER, rushed there via ambulance with chest pains. She tells me not to worry, before he got into the ambulance he was feeling better. Oy.
I totally understand how life smacks us between the eyes.
But, yes, good thing she only had the stroke, they would have been hard-pressed to revive her had they claimed she died!
wink_smile.gif

Every time I think I have a handle on this, something else comes up to slap me senseless...we had a new grandchild born this week. He was put into the NICU almost immediately with breathing problems. Grandpa took off in the morning to go see his daughter -as she was alone! Baby in NICU, her husband with baby, her older child with babysitter...there sits mom, post partum and alone! Dad to the rescue. (Baby out of NICU but cannot go home until he completes a course of antibiotics which means next week sometime.)
I'm holding down the fort here. My mother calls...my dad in the ER, rushed there via ambulance with chest pains. She tells me not to worry, before he got into the ambulance he was feeling better. Oy.
But, yes, good thing she only had the stroke, they would have been hard-pressed to revive her had they claimed she died!
wink_smile.gif
Hope you get continued good news from both hospitals, and nice people to help your solo flight go easier...

wink_smile.gif
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this stress. Blessings to all in your family and Congratulations on your new grandchild!

wink_smile.gif
Hope you get continued good news from both hospitals, and nice people to help your solo flight go easier...
Grandpa is back home so I'm not on my own. Baby is in the nursery, mom is climbing the walls but otherwise they're ok. Dad is home, too. I have to call him...'Dude. Chill,' he stresses and brings on these pains. Altho mom said he actually told her to call 9-1-1, so that in itself means he was scared.

Guess if she had died they could have held an immediate wake!
whattha.gif

Seriously, as we have mentioned before those with real emergencies would not have the time or desire to worry about such things.
After this discussion last year and the mention of travel insurance, I placed a brief statement in our confirmation letter after our cancellation policy it reads "It is suggested that guests look into travelers insurance to cover any costs that may be lost due to unexpected travel problems."
I can't say that it works 100% of the time, but it is there for them to ponder over and for me to remind them of if they squawk over being charged. With this I feel they agreed to my policies and I offered a method to safe guard from the unknown.

Two winters ago, 2 UK couples booked one night at the Lodge as a bridge to renting a condo. Funny, delightful people. Gave DW bunches of grief because we didn't serve cake. "Nigel loves cake." All in good fun, finally promised them cake.
Well, heavy snows and an avalanche closed the pass the day they were scheduled to arrive. They called all apologetic from the freeway, and we told them to find a motel on the interstate, that we didn't charge guests for Acts of God. Flippantly told them that we were also sorry Nigel would miss the cake. Long story short: they decided to go the long way around--an extra 2.5 hour drive--so that Nigel could have his cake.
Dammit! I baked a chocolate cake at 9 p.m. Guests arrived at 11. Nigel got his cake.
Tom

Two winters ago, 2 UK couples booked one night at the Lodge as a bridge to renting a condo. Funny, delightful people. Gave DW bunches of grief because we didn't serve cake. "Nigel loves cake." All in good fun, finally promised them cake.
Well, heavy snows and an avalanche closed the pass the day they were scheduled to arrive. They called all apologetic from the freeway, and we told them to find a motel on the interstate, that we didn't charge guests for Acts of God. Flippantly told them that we were also sorry Nigel would miss the cake. Long story short: they decided to go the long way around--an extra 2.5 hour drive--so that Nigel could have his cake.
Dammit! I baked a chocolate cake at 9 p.m. Guests arrived at 11. Nigel got his cake.
Tom.
Lucky Nigel! That's really funny.

Tom.
You don't get between Brits and there cake there could be bloodshed!

Tom.
You don't get between Brits and there cake there could be bloodshed!
British legal definition of cake.... something that gets hard over time, versus the definition of a biscuit or cookie, which gets soft over time.
Quick question... does that make Prince Philip a cake or a biscuit?

Back