Goodbye shams

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
I have made the executive decision to get rid of the shammed pillows in the guest rooms. This came up at one of the PAII workshops - credit to Sandy Soule and Marti Mayne - as a recommendation for eliminating some of the 'clutter' in a guest room. I don't do turndown service and it is really a pain to find a place to put them. I have been making my beds with four pillowcased pillows on the bed, two spares in the armoire, and two shammed pillows on the bed, with one or two strictly decorative pillows in the rooms. I'm wondering if anyone else does this, and if so, any recommendations on how to place the remaining pillows?
My starting position is to make the bed with the bedspread over one pair of pillows, with the second pair (patterned to match the sheets) on top of those over the bedspread. A decorative pillow then is propped against them.

I use two pillows with pillow cases and two with shams. (One room has a third decorative pillow, one room has four shams.) Spare pillows (in cases) are in the closet.
Getting rid of the shams sounds tempting, but I don't think it would look as nice.
=)
Kk.

The recommendation was for four pillows, non-shammed. We have six counting the spares. The shams just really get in the way, and to be really hygienic they should be washed after every guest. They end up on the floor because there's really no good place to put them at night. I don't really want to do that.
I think they look nice but I'm not sure the spare-er look with just decorative pillowcases isn't the way to go. A little more modern, maybe. Anyway, I'm going to try it for awhile and see what happens. I still have the shams, so they can always go back.

All I can say is SHAM WOW!
shades_smile.gif

I am a person who loves extra pillows on the bed. I noticed your four pillows per bed, and really appreciated them.
The shams are decorative for the most part, I agree, esp if there is not a closet to put them in people trip over them. I have two rooms with TWO SETS of SHAMS! I have a coverlet sham and the quilt sham, plus pillows and spares in the closets.
I like the sleeker cleaner look without them, I will admit. But I have them so use them still. Plus I double them up with two pillows per.

The recommendation was for four pillows, non-shammed. We have six counting the spares. The shams just really get in the way, and to be really hygienic they should be washed after every guest. They end up on the floor because there's really no good place to put them at night. I don't really want to do that.
I think they look nice but I'm not sure the spare-er look with just decorative pillowcases isn't the way to go. A little more modern, maybe. Anyway, I'm going to try it for awhile and see what happens. I still have the shams, so they can always go back..
If you're going with the 4 pillows instead, I'd stack them instead of leaning them against the headboard. Don't put them under the bedpsread, just on top.

I have the 4 unshammed pillows but feel the bed is nekkid like that. I have several rooms with shammed pillows and one room with just 2 additional, small, decorative pillows. I made more shams for one room but I'm not liking how they came out so back to the drawing board on that.
I was going to get rid of the shammed pillows years ago as they were so hard to keep clean. But, now they're just on the cleaning sched with everything else. I feel I need them as all of the headboards here are metal scrollwork and if you want to sit up and read, it's tough going!
Yes, they end up on the floor.

I have the 4 unshammed pillows but feel the bed is nekkid like that. I have several rooms with shammed pillows and one room with just 2 additional, small, decorative pillows. I made more shams for one room but I'm not liking how they came out so back to the drawing board on that.
I was going to get rid of the shammed pillows years ago as they were so hard to keep clean. But, now they're just on the cleaning sched with everything else. I feel I need them as all of the headboards here are metal scrollwork and if you want to sit up and read, it's tough going!
Yes, they end up on the floor..
I agree that to go totally unshammed, you end up with a nekkid-looking bed.
I do 4 unshammed pillows and just 1 shammed pillow in the center. Granted, you still have the issue of that pillow ending up on the floor. But it keeps the nekked problem at bay and with only 1 sham to wash, it's not such a big deal.
I don't like using decorative pillows instead of shams unless they have removable/washable covers. And then you have the same cleaning problem as the shams...

Since I have always had the where do I put them problem when i come upon a "shammed" bed, the shams that came with my duvets were polded up and put on the shelf for the next owner. I have 2 pillows on each bed and 2 pillows in the dresser drawers in each room if the guest wants extra pillows.

I think they look nice but I'm not sure the spare-er look with just decorative pillowcases isn't the way to go. A little more modern, maybe. Anyway, I'm going to try it for awhile and see what happens. I still have the shams, so they can always go back..
If you're going with the 4 pillows instead, I'd stack them instead of leaning them against the headboard. Don't put them under the bedpsread, just on top.
Ditto, Ditto. There was a thread a few months back about pillows, and I decided then to go for the stacked pillow look, with a 5th decorative pillow in front of them. I like the more modern look. Out with the shams and in with the stacks.
however
When I am staying at an inn I also like having those shammed pillows around to bulk up the back when I am sitting up reading or on my laptop. In my bedroom I have one of those giant body pillows that they were selling at costco and I actually thought about getting one for each room, but I didn't. If there are some beefy pillows, it doesn't matter, but when the inn gives me wimpy pillows the shams are welcomed, but still end up on the floor when I go to sleep.
That probably helps you - not at all.
confused_smile.gif

They are stacked, although my innsitter did themwhile I was gone, over the top of the bedspread, against the headboards, three deep pillows - 2 pillowcased and one shammed. Honestly, now when I go into a room, I prefer the less cluttered look with fewer pillows. I'm just not willing to spend my energy washing shams with every turn.

Ditto, Ditto. There was a thread a few months back about pillows, and I decided then to go for the stacked pillow look, with a 5th decorative pillow in front of them. I like the more modern look. Out with the shams and in with the stacks.
however
When I am staying at an inn I also like having those shammed pillows around to bulk up the back when I am sitting up reading or on my laptop. In my bedroom I have one of those giant body pillows that they were selling at costco and I actually thought about getting one for each room, but I didn't. If there are some beefy pillows, it doesn't matter, but when the inn gives me wimpy pillows the shams are welcomed, but still end up on the floor when I go to sleep.
confused_smile.gif

I agree about having the shams if there aren't enough pillows. If you're only going to give me two pillows on the bed, then I want shams or extra pillows for leaning on and they will go on the floor at night right before I go to sleep. Actually at B&Bs I will try to find a place to put them. But...there are six pillows total in the room. That should be enough for leaning and sleeping, right? On a queen bed?
I take what you mean by looking nekkid but I'm afraid that I think that because I've been trained to look for shams at a B&B. Maybe our guests don't want that look anymore? It does look a lot less cluttered.
The decorative pillows are small and only decorative - not really suitable for sleeping. They are washable but don't need to be washed as frequently as shams, and they are small enough to stick on the couch or the chair in the evening.

however
confused_smile.gif

I agree about having the shams if there aren't enough pillows. If you're only going to give me two pillows on the bed, then I want shams or extra pillows for leaning on and they will go on the floor at night right before I go to sleep. Actually at B&Bs I will try to find a place to put them. But...there are six pillows total in the room. That should be enough for leaning and sleeping, right? On a queen bed?
I take what you mean by looking nekkid but I'm afraid that I think that because I've been trained to look for shams at a B&B. Maybe our guests don't want that look anymore? It does look a lot less cluttered.
The decorative pillows are small and only decorative - not really suitable for sleeping. They are washable but don't need to be washed as frequently as shams, and they are small enough to stick on the couch or the chair in the evening.
muirford said:
I had 2 decorative pillows on the chairs and one day I threw them on the bed instead and really liked that look. They can (and have) been washed so I look for more of the same when I shop. Or, just any old pillow in the right shape, I can make the covers.

Actually, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it had to do with bleach. Bleach on shams makes me cry as I say, "Goodbye sham. I'll never find a match to the other one..."
=)
Kk.

I think I'm going to get rid of mine as well. They are fading much faster than the spreads and it's starting to show.
RIki

I won't say I wash decorative pillows often. You know me and honesty, I will say I don't. This is part of the discussion and perhaps why I am not into decorative pillows that much.

however
confused_smile.gif

aieechihuahua said:
confused_smile.gif
Not so - I took a look at your website to see how you placed them. Thanks!

however
confused_smile.gif

aieechihuahua said:
confused_smile.gif
Those are old pics!

however
confused_smile.gif

aieechihuahua said:
confused_smile.gif
Those are old pics!

I think some decorative touches are what differentiate B&Bs from hotels/motels. I hate to see all of them go by the wayside. :-(
After staying in several B&Bs recently, I have to say that having 4 pillows on the bed is almost a must for the middle-aged traveling public. Having a couple extra in the room is very helpful (my dh suffers from gastric reflux sometimes). One pillow in a sham and/or a decorative pillow is not that big a deal to put on a chair. Pillows look better to me when they are not stacked but placed upright.
We did turndown service and I really appreciated it as a guest. It was so nice to come back from dinner with the bed turned down, a few lights on, music on, chocolates on the pillow, and cold water on the nightstands. What a treat! And an amenity that I think many folks might expect when the room approaches $200/night.
I also liked it when there wasn't turndown that the bed was turned down at the top when it was made up and the sheets were pulled nice & snug. Made it look nice and neat and clean.

I think some decorative touches are what differentiate B&Bs from hotels/motels. I hate to see all of them go by the wayside. :-(
After staying in several B&Bs recently, I have to say that having 4 pillows on the bed is almost a must for the middle-aged traveling public. Having a couple extra in the room is very helpful (my dh suffers from gastric reflux sometimes). One pillow in a sham and/or a decorative pillow is not that big a deal to put on a chair. Pillows look better to me when they are not stacked but placed upright.
We did turndown service and I really appreciated it as a guest. It was so nice to come back from dinner with the bed turned down, a few lights on, music on, chocolates on the pillow, and cold water on the nightstands. What a treat! And an amenity that I think many folks might expect when the room approaches $200/night.
I also liked it when there wasn't turndown that the bed was turned down at the top when it was made up and the sheets were pulled nice & snug. Made it look nice and neat and clean.

Back