Goodbye

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
"Suggestion: Do an attitude adjustment or kiss us off."
Based on the above reply, I will say my goodbyes. There are some very nice people and interesting information on these forums, however there is a sense of aggressivity and anger that just amazes me.
For those of you who wish to contact me privately, you know where I am, and please feel free to do so.
SWIRT, please remove my user id. Thanks.

This is the complete post. The italics was what was being responded to in case folks do not see the entire post since it is on another thread. This was taken out of context. The italics are the ENTIRE post that was being responded to. Once again it appears that the regulars on the Forum are being nasty. Methinks someone is very good at making everyone else the "bad" guy while "poor little me is innocent".
I was going to answer this but would probably get slammed so I will just say nothing.
It would have done everyone better if you had said nothing rather than this.
IF you feel you are going to get "slammed" by the "sharks" when you post, my question is WHY do you hang around? I think many here have gone out of their way to try to welcome you, have extended an "olive branch" only to get their hand and the olive branch cut off with a chain saw. If I felt that way about the regulars on the Forum I do not believe I would stay around.
Suggestion: Do an attitude adjustment or kiss us off.

This is the complete post. The italics was what was being responded to in case folks do not see the entire post since it is on another thread. This was taken out of context. The italics are the ENTIRE post that was being responded to. Once again it appears that the regulars on the Forum are being nasty. Methinks someone is very good at making everyone else the "bad" guy while "poor little me is innocent".
I was going to answer this but would probably get slammed so I will just say nothing.
It would have done everyone better if you had said nothing rather than this.
IF you feel you are going to get "slammed" by the "sharks" when you post, my question is WHY do you hang around? I think many here have gone out of their way to try to welcome you, have extended an "olive branch" only to get their hand and the olive branch cut off with a chain saw. If I felt that way about the regulars on the Forum I do not believe I would stay around.
Suggestion: Do an attitude adjustment or kiss us off..
I won't miss the attitude.
Riki

I don't see anything in the italics that warrantly that drastic a response.
Remember, "attitude adjustment" advice goes both ways.

Enough. We ALL just need to take a break and remember why we are here.
We are not here to tell people how to act. We are not here to point fingers. We are not here to decide who has a right to be offended and who does not. We are not here to declare who needs to apologise to whom (to be offended for others). When any of these things happen, and they tend to happen at the same time, the place loses its tone and helpfulness.
We are here to share what we know from our own perspective and share our ups and downs. We all may not agree with each others perspective. And in some cases we will try to discern fact from assumption, or fact from annecdote. There is a terms of use that I follow to decide when action must be taken.

agoodman said:
Your user Id will remain active and in your control. It remains your choice to use it or not. I only remove access to people who have violated the terms of use and you have not done that. Though continually referring to a group as "sharks" does begin getting close to name calling even if not directed at a specific person.

We are not here to tell people how to act. We are not here to point fingers. We are not here to decide who has a right to be offended and who does not. We are not here to declare who needs to apologise to whom (to be offended for others). When any of these things happen, and they tend to happen at the same time, the place loses its tone and helpfulness.
We are here to share what we know from our own perspective and share our ups and downs. We all may not agree with each others perspective. And in some cases we will try to discern fact from assumption, or fact from annecdote. There is a terms of use that I follow to decide when action must be taken..
I am sorry!! Properly chastised.

We are here to share what we know from our own perspective and share our ups and downs. We all may not agree with each others perspective. And in some cases we will try to discern fact from assumption, or fact from annecdote. There is a terms of use that I follow to decide when action must be taken..
Thanks, but I did not intend for anyONE to feel chastised. I just want us ALL to take a nice cleansing breath, and then another, and then another...
regular_smile.gif

agoodman said:
Your user Id will remain active and in your control. It remains your choice to use it or not. I only remove access to people who have violated the terms of use and you have not done that. Though continually referring to a group as "sharks" does begin getting close to name calling even if not directed at a specific person..
I tend to think of us more as salmon heading up stream.
tounge_smile.gif

Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion.
They're even entitled to hold it strongly.
And we all benefit when we have a variety of opinions expressed.
As I said when I first joined at the other place... I take what I can use, disregard the rest, try to be of use when I post. If I don't agree, or someone doesn't agree with me, so what? Every B&B is different and we all have to run our own in the way that works best for us.
And taking lots of deep breaths is good for all of us.
=)
Kk.

well, i hope people don't leave because of heated discussions.
ag i cannot email you off forum because i don't know where you are. plus i tend not to do that.
i belong to a few different forums and communicating this way has its challenges. we can't look at each other's faces and see a smile or a smirk or a tear behind the words ... we can't hear one another's voices, we can only read (and interpret or misinterpret) what we see. i didn't even notice the words that make ag want to go. i admit to 'skimming' through posts sometimes.
we can easily get our feelings hurt or hurt someone else's feelings or get fuming angry or come across in a way we never intended. there are personality clashes and there are warm and fuzzy feelings between posters ...
i have my favorites ... who doesn't?
but a good mix of people is best.

Thanks, but I did not intend for anyONE to feel chastised. I just want us ALL to take a nice cleansing breath, and then another, and then another...
regular_smile.gif

I know. Iwas just passived to the point of aggressive - and it was my hand that got chain sawed!

regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
I read that too fast the rist time and I thought you said that we all need to take a nice, cleansing BATH, not breath!

I am sorry that you are leaving....you have a wealth of experience that could be shared with everyone. Give it a few days and think about it before you log off for good
sad_smile.gif

Just returned to the forum after our vacation and opened this thread first. AG - please do not leave, you have a wealth of information to share. I do not know what stirred this up and hope I do not find the tread that did. If a certain poster bothers you, do what others have done and hit ignore posts from this poster.
There are times I have read a post that I feel was too harsh, at times it was directed to me. I have learned to brush it off as a comment of strong conviction over that topic or as a statement made after a very long, stressful day. And do to this tread, I too have realized that I have 'put off' others due to stating my backgound prior to sharing my thoughts on a topic. (I thought it would be helpful, GEE)
Each of us come from different backgounds and different things to share. We will not all agree with each others take on all matters but it is because of fourms such as this one that can make us open our eyes to ideas we never though of before. Some of the ideas shared here help me immensely while others I just disregard as we all do things differently, if we were all the same the charm of a B&B stay would be no more.
As SWIRT said - Just breath!

Just returned to the forum after our vacation and opened this thread first. AG - please do not leave, you have a wealth of information to share. I do not know what stirred this up and hope I do not find the tread that did. If a certain poster bothers you, do what others have done and hit ignore posts from this poster.
There are times I have read a post that I feel was too harsh, at times it was directed to me. I have learned to brush it off as a comment of strong conviction over that topic or as a statement made after a very long, stressful day. And do to this tread, I too have realized that I have 'put off' others due to stating my backgound prior to sharing my thoughts on a topic. (I thought it would be helpful, GEE)
Each of us come from different backgounds and different things to share. We will not all agree with each others take on all matters but it is because of fourms such as this one that can make us open our eyes to ideas we never though of before. Some of the ideas shared here help me immensely while others I just disregard as we all do things differently, if we were all the same the charm of a B&B stay would be no more.
As SWIRT said - Just breath!.
Welcome back Copperhead, and well said.
regular_smile.gif

You know...it must be something in the air....this is not the only forum having these issues amongst its members.
Actually, I think the stress of the economy, elections, etc. has really gotten to all of us. There is another forum on which I am a very active participant - the Hatteras Owners’ Forum. Those guys over there are like family to each other (and to me - they’ve taught me darn near everything I know about diesel mechanics and complex marine systems) because we all have an undescribable passion for our classic Hatteras boats/yachts. We are a really tight bunch and always bend over backwards to help out each in our time of need - perfect example was the number of volunteers who traveled hundreds of miles to help one member who had to cross the Gulf of Mexico on one engine, with the possibility putting their own lives in danger, and each bringing something of importance like a life raft, an EPIRB (that that electronic thing that alerts the Coast Guard of your position when ya sink), etc. - and they had never even met that member in person until it was time to make the trip in an effort to get the crippled boat home. That’s just how tight we are.
Right after the election results, I noticed more and more arguments being had and things being said that were on the level of personal attacks and surprisingly to the point of racist remarks, something we had never seen over there. We had pretty much stopped talking about boats and boating. Some members packed their bags and left the forum in anger. No, the election didn’t go the way we ("we" as in the collective group of Hatteras owners) wanted it to go, and I think that’s when people just exploded, tempers flared at the wrong places and wrong times and for the wrong reasons, and the stress that had been bottled up in everyone finally found its release; unfortunately, we lashed out on those we love and hurt each other in the process, and it was like a chemical reaction that couldn't be stopped. I even caught myself "reaching out to slap someone" for something he said.
I think this behavior will pass in time, and those who "leave home" will surely return. We had this happen at the Hatteras forum once before. They have all returned. So, hang in there!

Back