Gooey Cinnamon Biscuits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
cinnamon-biscuits7.jpg
Saw this today and I thought that this would make an interesting item to serve at breakfast instead of cinnamon buns, which take much longer to make. Of course, I can't make it... I've never seen cinnamon chips in my life. I wonder what would replace them? Sugar and cinnamon mixed?
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/gooey-cinnamon-biscuits/

UGH! When you buy them you have them for life! haha
and so for those short-cut suzies, use frozen biscuits. I am not a fan of a mouthful of cinnamon, even though I like cinnamon. That is why those chips are not that appealing to me. I used to sprinkle them into banana nut bread (gee I guess I have not made that for a couple years now).
PS I just appreciate the mason jar of milk they added to the photo.
cheers.gif

I've seen the cinnamon chips...but not in this city. Sounds good and even super easier if you substitute the frozen biscuits as JB suggested.

and so for those short-cut suzies, use frozen biscuits. I am not a fan of a mouthful of cinnamon, even though I like cinnamon. That is why those chips are not that appealing to me. I used to sprinkle them into banana nut bread (gee I guess I have not made that for a couple years now).
cheers.gif
Lots of Pillsbury stuff around here, but no biscuits. They aren't very well known around here.... not a local food. Now, if you wanted creme fraiche, no problem. Cretons? Tortiere? All easily available... but no biscuits. Heck, I'm not even sure I can get bisquick.

These Giant Gooey Cinnamon Biscuits sound yummy and very much like a "southern comfort" food ;) The pic on the website had my mouth watering...seriously! So, I have put it into my recipe arsenal! Thanks for the post, Eric!
Hershey's makes a Cinnamon Chip, but I have a recipe for making them that is easy and every bit as good, if not better, in my opinion. I use them when making scones.
HOMEMADE CINNAMON CHIPS:
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons shortening
  • 2 teaspoons corn syrup
Preheat oven to 250F
Combine sugar, cinnamon, shortening and corn syrup in a bowl and stir with a fork until crumbly and evenly blended. Pour mixture out onto a foil-lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until melted and bubbly. Cool completely; break up into small pieces.

These Giant Gooey Cinnamon Biscuits sound yummy and very much like a "southern comfort" food ;) The pic on the website had my mouth watering...seriously! So, I have put it into my recipe arsenal! Thanks for the post, Eric!
Hershey's makes a Cinnamon Chip, but I have a recipe for making them that is easy and every bit as good, if not better, in my opinion. I use them when making scones.
HOMEMADE CINNAMON CHIPS:
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons shortening
  • 2 teaspoons corn syrup
Preheat oven to 250F
Combine sugar, cinnamon, shortening and corn syrup in a bowl and stir with a fork until crumbly and evenly blended. Pour mixture out onto a foil-lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until melted and bubbly. Cool completely; break up into small pieces..
Thanks. Put it in my springpad.
I might wait until I visit the US and get some premade biscuit dough to try this.

cheers.gif
Lots of Pillsbury stuff around here, but no biscuits. They aren't very well known around here.... not a local food. Now, if you wanted creme fraiche, no problem. Cretons? Tortiere? All easily available... but no biscuits. Heck, I'm not even sure I can get bisquick.
AH come on.... just make your own biscuit dough. So simple. Why do we always have to depend on prepackaged stuff???
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
[h2]Directions[/h2]
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)
Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

cheers.gif
AH come on.... just make your own biscuit dough. So simple. Why do we always have to depend on prepackaged stuff???
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
[h2]Directions[/h2]
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)
I never use shortening, I assume I can use butter instead? Can I use sour cream for buttermilk or soured milk? Will unbleached flour do?

cheers.gif
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
[h2]Directions[/h2]
I never use shortening, I assume I can use butter instead? Can I use sour cream for buttermilk or soured milk? Will unbleached flour do?
Yes you can use butter. Paula Deen will love you :) yes, make your own soured milk.

cheers.gif
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
[h2]Directions[/h2]
I don't ever use shortening and I agree with others that YES you can use butter, expecially since you are not counting on these kind of buiscuits to rise real high.
Yes for the soured milk, yes for sour cream (I don't know if when substituting with sc if you need to dilute it a bit with water or milk? Does anyone else know?)
Aaand yes! =) to the unbleached flour, although I think they could be made with spelt which would add a little bit of a grainier taste - that's the kind of flour I am going to try using when I make the - 3/4 spelt 1/4 unbleached.

cheers.gif
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
[h2]Directions[/h2]
CATLADY SAID: "AH come on.... just make your own biscuit dough. So simple. Why do we always have to depend on prepackaged stuff???"
I'm with you. I understand the need for simplifying breakfast but, I don't think this is the place to cut corners. I can't think of a prepackaged biscuit dough that I would consider anywheres near as GOOD as a homemade biscuit. Maybe once I am actually up at 5 in the morning making breakfast for 10 people I may will my mind. But as of today - I vote with the catlady.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
cinnamon-biscuits7.jpg
I've never seen cinnamon chips in my life.
Amazon.com has them. Do they ship to Canada?.
Not food. We go to Costco, Price Chopper and Hannaford in Vermont from time to time. (We never use a credit card at Hannaford though... once burnt, twice shy.) The thing with Vermont is that not everything makes it up this way. I've never looked for cinnamon chips, so I don't even know if they carry them.

cheers.gif
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
[h2]Directions[/h2]
CATLADY SAID: "AH come on.... just make your own biscuit dough. So simple. Why do we always have to depend on prepackaged stuff???"
I'm with you. I understand the need for simplifying breakfast but, I don't think this is the place to cut corners. I can't think of a prepackaged biscuit dough that I would consider anywheres near as GOOD as a homemade biscuit. Maybe once I am actually up at 5 in the morning making breakfast for 10 people I may will my mind. But as of today - I vote with the catlady.
Yeah, SSC, when you have a few hundred breakfasts under your belt, check back with us here.
regular_smile.gif

Back