Google Ads

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestBB

Reaction score
If I search google using my county and "bed and breakfast" my listing will show up. If I search google using the nearest city and "bed and breakfast" I see a lot of hotels showing up and a few bed and breakfasts that are way further away from the city then we are and we don't show up at all.

Is that because the other B&Bs are using OTAs and the OTAs are paying for advertising? In other words, should i consider some paid advertising on Google in order to show up on all the search results in the area?

You need to work on SEO. Are you using a plug-in such as Yoast? I don't see any meta descriptions or snippets.
Your title is only the name of the B&B. You are wasting valuable real estate. Should include the town and state, nearby attractions, other key search words or descriptors.
Missing:
<meta property="og:title" content="
<meta property="og:description" content="

You need to work on SEO. Are you using a plug-in such as Yoast? I don't see any meta descriptions or snippets.
Your title is only the name of the B&B. You are wasting valuable real estate. Should include the town and state, nearby attractions, other key search words or descriptors.
Missing:
<meta property="og:description" content=".
I haven't even started working on SEO on the site as I'm still working on the site. But I don't think SEO has anything to do with why we're not showing up on the map of B&B's and hotels in google. I think it has something to do with them only displaying the paid ads for certain things.
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:

Missing:
I haven't even started working on SEO on the site as I'm still working on the site. But I don't think SEO has anything to do with why we're not showing up on the map of B&B's and hotels in google. I think it has something to do with them only displaying the paid ads for certain things.
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:
Hmm, did you specifically mention Maps? Do you have a Google Business Account? That's how you show up on maps.
But SEO is going to help you show up in the 3Pack as well. All is synergistic.

Yes we have a google business account and a bing business account and we're on yelp. There is something going on with the google results where hotels show when you search for a B&B and not all B&B's show on the maps.

I am suspicious of google.
My son in laws family has a family floral business with three locations they have been in business for decades and jumped onto the internet when it started. They pay top dollar for their websites the website
Yet If you search for them by name a national chain comes up ahead of them

Missing:
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:
Someone who is not fluent in the ways of the internet will not understand your comment. Can you translate? What is SEO, what is Yoast? What are meta descriptions and snippets?

I am suspicious of google.
My son in laws family has a family floral business with three locations they have been in business for decades and jumped onto the internet when it started. They pay top dollar for their websites the website
Yet If you search for them by name a national chain comes up ahead of them.
Deepest pockets wins when it comes to online advertising.
But the other side of this coin... you pay more if you don't do your comparisons properly.

Missing:
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:
Someone who is not fluent in the ways of the internet will not understand your comment. Can you translate? What is SEO, what is Yoast? What are meta descriptions and snippets?
TheBeachHouse said:
What is SEO, what is Yoast? What are meta descriptions and snippets?
Google it.

Missing:
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:
TheBeachHouse said:
Momma Smurf said:
Missing:
I knew MNV was internet savvy and has a WordPress site, so was not explicit. Yoast is a Search Optimization Plugin for WP that allows you to create SEO meta titles and descriptions for each of your web pages.

It's kinda weird to start thinking about paying for PPC when you haven't even started with SEO.
That's like having a really bad sports team, and instead of focusing on training, you try to bribe the referees to win you the matches :)

It's kinda weird to start thinking about paying for PPC when you haven't even started with SEO.
That's like having a really bad sports team, and instead of focusing on training, you try to bribe the referees to win you the matches :).
Not weird at all. As an entrepreneur I am constantly researching and evaluating ideas.
Besides, SEO has nothing to do with the results I was seeing in Google.
dumitru said:
That's like having a really bad sports team, and instead of focusing on training, you try to bribe the referees to win you the matches :)

That's like having a really bad sports team, and instead of focusing on training, you try to bribe the referees to win you the matches :).
Not weird at all. As an entrepreneur I am constantly researching and evaluating ideas.
dumitru said:
MNVineyardBB said:
OK.

MNVineyardBB said:
If I search google using my county and "bed and breakfast" my listing will show up. If I search google using the nearest city and "bed and breakfast" I see a lot of hotels showing up and a few bed and breakfasts that are way further away from the city then we are and we don't show up at all.
MNV, can you clarify this search method above? Are you speaking specifically about Google search results? Cause that has everything to do with SEO, as Google is a Search Engine that needs Optimization.

MNVineyardBB said:
MNV, can you clarify this search method above? Are you speaking specifically about Google search results? Cause that has everything to do with SEO, as Google is a Search Engine that needs Optimization..
I had to laugh when you told me Google is a search engine and mentioned SEO as if I know nothing about it. :) I'm hubspot inbound marketing certified and trained in SEO and I do SEO consulting. :) My last web site got 300,000 unique visitors a month.
Anyway...I'll show you the issue. Go to google and type in "Ohio Bed and Breakfast" Notice on the map that some B&B's show as a blue dot while other locations show up with a blue marker sign containing the price.
When I first encountered the "problem" and posted a question here that day, it was not evident what was going on with Google. The blue marker dot for our B&B was missing nor did I see other B&Bs I know to be in the area.
It's now clear that Google was broken that day. Google is working more properly today as the results I'm seeing are vastly different. One day Google was sending my guests to a field in the next County and telling people to walk to our B&B. Google has been a lot more inconsistent in the last year. Stuff is breaking frequently.
Now I see that those locations with the prominent blue sign markers on the map are paying for advertising indirectly through an OTA. For my B&B to show like that, I would likely need to purchase Google Hotel Ads since I'm not on any OTA. That or I can look to see if Google has an API that would enable me to write my own Feed to them to show up that way. I'll need to research more when I have more time. But at least now I know what was going on.
Momma Smurf said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNV, can you clarify this search method above? Are you speaking specifically about Google search results? Cause that has everything to do with SEO, as Google is a Search Engine that needs Optimization.

Not the 3-pack. I'm talking this type of display:

https://bit.ly/2E0nPQs

There were B&B's missing entirely from the map even when you zoomed to the specific location. It's fixed now.

Momma Smurf said:
What you did not note in your original post was that you were speaking specifically about the Google Map results above the 3 Pack. I will tell you this, I appear in the #1 spot for our State's Bed and Breakfasts in the 3 Pack, and many other relevant Pack searches, and it does have to do with SEO.

MNVineyardBB said:
MNV, can you clarify this search method above? Are you speaking specifically about Google search results? Cause that has everything to do with SEO, as Google is a Search Engine that needs Optimization..
I had to laugh when you told me Google is a search engine and mentioned SEO as if I know nothing about it. :) I'm hubspot inbound marketing certified and trained in SEO and I do SEO consulting. :) My last web site got 300,000 unique visitors a month.
Anyway...I'll show you the issue. Go to google and type in "Ohio Bed and Breakfast" Notice on the map that some B&B's show as a blue dot while other locations show up with a blue marker sign containing the price.
When I first encountered the "problem" and posted a question here that day, it was not evident what was going on with Google. The blue marker dot for our B&B was missing nor did I see other B&Bs I know to be in the area.
It's now clear that Google was broken that day. Google is working more properly today as the results I'm seeing are vastly different. One day Google was sending my guests to a field in the next County and telling people to walk to our B&B. Google has been a lot more inconsistent in the last year. Stuff is breaking frequently.
Now I see that those locations with the prominent blue sign markers on the map are paying for advertising indirectly through an OTA. For my B&B to show like that, I would likely need to purchase Google Hotel Ads since I'm not on any OTA. That or I can look to see if Google has an API that would enable me to write my own Feed to them to show up that way. I'll need to research more when I have more time. But at least now I know what was going on.
Momma Smurf said:
MNVineyardBB said:
MNVineyardBB said:
Notice on the MAP ......that some B&B's show as a blue dot while other locations show up with a blue marker sign containing the price.
I expected you to laugh, cause I know full well that you know this already! What you did not note in your original post was that you were speaking specifically about the Google Map results above the 3 Pack. I will tell you this, I appear in the #1 spot for our State's Bed and Breakfasts in the 3 Pack, and many other relevant Pack searches, and it does have to do with SEO. Many moons ago, when the ever morphing "packs" were in their infancy, I worked with the now legendary SEO guru Mike Blumenthal (pre-guru days) developing SEO strategies for said pack placement. That said, yes, in order to have pricing appear, you need an OTA-like association, cause there is no other way for Google to know. My listing simply appears in the 3 Pack sans price, which forces folks DIRECTLY to my site to book. No commissions, no middle man, etc.
Getting in the 3 Pack is the ultimate reward for all, whilst appearing in a sea of properties on the map with a price tag has insignificant impact.
In response to your TA Trip Connect query on another thread, by using TC my prices do show in TA and subsequently we place higher in their results. Again, all direct bookings.

The new generation is widely using internet for almost everything from buying the stuff to sharing their emotions. For them internet is like their best friend. And the businesses can take advantage from this thinking and should try to attract them for purchasing their services or products. I use Face book marketing and Adwords Management for this purpose.

And once you've got your snippets and meta descriptions down...
Have you considered also creating a blog to rank for topics beyond "bed and breakfast in [your destination]"? That way people can find you in all stages of their booking decision—even when they're searching for activities, restaurants, or events in your destination.
It's a great way to increase your organic traffic and be the first accommodation provider that people see because you're getting their attention while they're still doing their research about the area—before they start poking around for accommodations.
#4 on this list explains more: https://guesthook.com/bed-and-breakfast-marketing/

If you need SEO or SEM marketing or just consulting, we have all neccessary tools for keywords research and advertising campaigns planning, you would be supprised how many people search for something and there isn't good content for their search queries and you can easily get your self in top 10 Google SERP for relevant keywords ;)

Back