Google Analytics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Swirt...or someone...
Recently I installed google analytics on my website along with opentracker to compare the two (yup, renewal date coming up). Is there any way to have GA break out traffic from the same referrer? IE...which visitors came through because of the bb.com's for sale page, our main listing page or our secondary city page? Opentracker does, but I don't see how to do it on GA...GA just shows them all as bb.com.

Have you clicked on the bb.com referral in GA to drill down? It sometimes gives you multiple referring pages that way. Did you test it yourself by clicking in from each of those pages?

If I click on bb.com in my GA listing of referrers I get this list: (sorry, can't get it to cut and paste correctly)
  1. My listing (state-town-inn name)
  2. City listing
  3. Search (not sure what that means)
  4. Reviews
  5. Photo
  6. My listing + reviews
  7. Photo
  8. Photo
  9. Photo
You should have a similar list showing the individual pages that someone clicked thru from.

Aha...thanks. That seemed to make sense, but I was clicking on the link at left instead, which just sent me to their site.

Aha...thanks. That seemed to make sense, but I was clicking on the link at left instead, which just sent me to their site..
Little Blue said:
Aha...thanks. That seemed to make sense, but I was clicking on the link at left instead, which just sent me to their site.
Bingo! That link is useful but it doesn't always take you where you think it will. Sometimes you just end up at the home page of the site and not the exact page the referral came from.
I was looking at referrals while I was getting this info and found 2 clicks from another B&B. One I'd never heard of. Went to the page and cannot figure out how someone clicked from them to me, there's nothing on that page that refers to me at all.

Here's another one
Is there any way to see the links that people are using to leave my site or to look at things offsite?

Here's another one
Is there any way to see the links that people are using to leave my site or to look at things offsite?.
I started with Google Analitics then added stat counter. I like the simplicity of Statcounter. It will give you the links to the site coming & going. I'll try to post one of them for you. I hope it is OK Swirt?
Bill
Videotron Ltee (74.58.126.29) [Label IP Address]
ca.png
Quebec, Canada, 0 returning visits
[tr]Date[/td]Time[/td]Type[/td]WebPage[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:52:11[/td]Page View[/td]www.peleeisland.com/winery/winery_relatedlinks.php
www.mckinnonsbb.com/[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:52:45[/td]Page View[/td]www.mckinnonsbb.com/rooms.html
www.mckinnonsbb.com/rooms.html[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:52:48[/td]Page View[/td]www.mckinnonsbb.com/
www.mckinnonsbb.com/rooms.html#Hawks Nest Retreat[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:53:16[/td]Exit Link[/td]http://www.bbcanada.com/11365.html?showpage=2[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:57:02[/td]Page View[/td]www.peleeisland.com/winery/winery_relatedlinks.php
www.mckinnonsbb.com/[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:57:11[/td]Page View[/td]www.mckinnonsbb.com/
www.mckinnonsbb.com/rooms.html[/td][/tr][tr]28th November 2009[/td]20:57:38[/td]Exit Link[/td]http://www.bbcanada.com/11365.html?showpage=2[/td][/tr][/table]

Here's another one
Is there any way to see the links that people are using to leave my site or to look at things offsite?.
Little Blue said:
Here's another one
Is there any way to see the links that people are using to leave my site or to look at things offsite?
Are you asking what outgoing links on your site people are using?
If you want to know which links you have on your site (things to do, that sort of thing) that people are using you can attach a line of code to it and it will show up in GA. Hang on while I round that up...
An example... It's the 'onClick...' section you need to add. I added the 'npr' so I would know what link they clicked on to leave the site. The 'outgoing' makes it easy to find in Navigation Summary on GA. So, I look for 'outgoing' and then I can see what got clicked on.
Code:
<a target="event" href="http://www.npr.org/abouttown.html"
                     onClick="javascript:urchinTracker('/outgoing/npr');">

Here's another one
Morticia's answer is basically correct. You need to add an extra bit of code to outgoing links to have them be tracked. However, her sample code is only valid if you are using the older version of analytics.
Here is a document from Google that shows the code for the newer version and provides the method for figuring out which version you are using.
http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55527

Here's another one
Morticia's answer is basically correct. You need to add an extra bit of code to outgoing links to have them be tracked. However, her sample code is only valid if you are using the older version of analytics.
Here is a document from Google that shows the code for the newer version and provides the method for figuring out which version you are using.
http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55527
There's always something...I forgot about the newer code.

Back