Google Analytics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I assume that many others use Google Analytics like I do. I was wondering though about my direct traffic, sometimes.
In the last month, about 20% of my traffic is direct traffic. And over 6% says that it's referal from my own domain. Why am I showing as my own referer? Anyone else have this?

I haven't seen that one on GA. Can't think why that would happen. Unless you have stored some of your pages in different sub directories on your site. Would that do it?

I do have my website in two different directories, one is /en and the other is /fr so that we have the same website but with two different languages. Why would that do it? It's the same website, just a directory below.

Doesn't direct mean they typed in your address and went directly to your home page? And a referral from your site I thought meant they clicked a link somewhere else in the site which took them back to your home page? I may be wrong but that was how I interpreted it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about GA can tell us.
I just searched and found this:
"Do you have redirects on your site?. It may appear as a self-referral if there is a redirect. Also, frames may also result in self-referrals. This is because a frame in your site may be used to load another webpage. Make sure that all pages of your site have the tracking code. If the tracking code is not installed on all of your webpages, Google Analytics will not be able to track the referral webpage and will assume the previous page to be a referral.

I do have my website in two different directories, one is /en and the other is /fr so that we have the same website but with two different languages. Why would that do it? It's the same website, just a directory below..
Totally a guess.

In addition to what CatLady already listed, a link from a subdomain of yours to a different subdomain of your own site would also register as a referral.

In addition to what CatLady already listed, a link from a subdomain of yours to a different subdomain of your own site would also register as a referral..
I guess then maybe I need to rework the site with name-e.htm and name-f.htm instead in the long run. Thanks.

Back