Google+ and SEO

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is completely illogical and unscientific, but knowing the power behind google, I decided to go against the grain a long time ago and use a blogger blog, vs my own. They now allow you to have it as part of your own URL, so that is good. So it is now building content to the website as well. But I have been adding key words (not not stuffing, I don't stuff) and writing articles, and adding captions...knowing they "own" what we now call the search engine. Sure people use other search engines, but they don't even skim the surface.
So i followed advice and added myself and business to google+, no they are not on the same playing field as Facebook, not even close, but I soon found if you google+ your name you will come up first place in google search in your google+ account/id. How fair is this and legal? I am not sure, will their be lawsuits? Could be.
For that reason, I went in and added a few more people to my circles and posted a few blog articles (on google+). There is just no way to manage all these social media accounts, there is not enough time in a day, and do I want them all linked together? Not really. So I will roll with the punches and if one seems to be more necessary I will go with that one. For now. ps I still HATE facebook. end of ps.
(if anyone ever finds out more info on this please share with us)

JB, as of right now, in my opinion Google+ is only beneficial for SEO.
Check out this infographic for a more telling story: http://socialtimes.com/files/2011/12/who_is_using_google_plus.png
Yes, it has 40 million users, but only 17% are actually active. And activity seems to be declining.
Other than in the tech industry, I have very few friends actively using Google+ (and I'm part of Gen Y). Sure some signed up to see what the buzz was, but it just doesn't offer any value that justifies spending time on it. For the average person it does nothing that Facebook or Twitter doesn't already dominate.
That being said, because it is Google and because of the importantance of SEO I would highly recommend creating a Google+ business page and linking it to your inn's website. You should add links from your G+ profile to your website pages (home page, rooms, attractions, reservations, contact, facebook profile, twitter profile, etc). If you have a blog you should share links to your posts. Add a bunch of pictures of your inn. In other words fill out your profile, completely.
These all increase your visibility in Google, which of course is worth the little time it takes. In addition, it's assumed Google+ pages will soon replace Google Local Listings, so better to get on the bandwagon now.
I wouldn't however worry about trying to engage with consumers the way you do on Facebook and Twitter. The fact is that most consumers just aren't using it right now. That may change in the future, but only if Google finds a way to differentiate and create more value. Right now it's just duplicating what other platforms already offer.
My prediction is Google+ will continue to impact search results. It will be kind of an umbrella network for all of Google's products (search, gmail, youtube, docs, etc.). Google put all their eggs in this basket so it's not going to just fade away, but I'm skeptical it will ever be a powerful consumer engagement platform like Facebook and Twitter. For that to happen Google will need to get creative.
Like you mentioned, for most average users it's just social overload. It's hard enough reading updates from Facebook and Twitter, last thing anyone wants is another network to check everyday.

I have to get the hang of going into the biz profile, right now I can't seem to add any posts or links, only in my personal., I will work it out, thanks for that article I have my code to add to the website.

I have to get the hang of going into the biz profile, right now I can't seem to add any posts or links, only in my personal., I will work it out, thanks for that article I have my code to add to the website..
Make sure that you're switching over and using it as a page, similar to Facebook. I did another blog post on Google+ that explains this a little here: http://www.trippoinc.com/marketing/getting-the-most-from-google-plus-for-your-bb/

Wow that manage your pages was hard to find, I got it thanks!! I am working on adding the link to the header, it is looking internally for the page on the website so I need to tweak it..
THANKS DAVID!

Joey,
Have you tried Google Places and Google Maps? We plugged in our B&Bs into these and have found them to be super effective. They catapult you to the top of organic search results and we've even gotten a lot of guests in town who happen to Google "panama B&B" from their smartphone, find our details, call us, and book a room last minute. May not be the most powerful trick in the book, but it certainly can't hurt considering they're free and take about 10 minutes to submit.
- Matt
B&B Marketing Report: 54 free and inexpensive ways to generate bookings for your Bed and Breakfast.

Back