Google Authenticator

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
What is it? Is there something that needs to be done with this for websites? Will it help? Hurt? Be neutral?

It looks like it's similar to what banks and others use for added security. Like to access your bank account for the first time from a new computer, in addition to entering your username and password, they also send a special code to your e-mail address of record, or a text to your phone number of record. You enter the code along with the username and password, and that new computer is "authenticated", meaning they know YOU are the one using it, rather than someone who stole your username and password. Then in the future only your username and password are needed on that computer.

It looks like it's similar to what banks and others use for added security. Like to access your bank account for the first time from a new computer, in addition to entering your username and password, they also send a special code to your e-mail address of record, or a text to your phone number of record. You enter the code along with the username and password, and that new computer is "authenticated", meaning they know YOU are the one using it, rather than someone who stole your username and password. Then in the future only your username and password are needed on that computer..
I asked because a friend was told that their website had to be authenticated. I couldn't find anything about that anywhere. Their webhost said it was no big deal but didn't explain it to them. So of course I had to ask!

If you sign up for Google WebMaster Tools (which I recommend), they give you a couple different ways to "authenticate" that you are indeed the webmaster of each site that you register with them, such as placing a special file in the website's root directory, etc...

Madeleine said:
What is it? Is there something that needs to be done with this for websites? Will it help? Hurt? Be neutral?
Your friend was likely referring to site verification on Google Webmaster Tools. Adding your site to GWT provides significant benefits to you as a site owner and/or webmaster (technical monitoring, troubleshooting issues, analytics, etc.). It's also a way of letting Google know that your site is legitimate. For your guidance, you may refer to the following GWT support articles:
Hope that helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Back