Google Instant - search RESULTS while you type

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting info. Thanks Scott.
For those of you who blog, it's important to use those google terms/phrases in your blog post title and also in your first paragraph.
For example:
If you're writing about an event in your area called the "XYZ festival", go to google and type in "xyz festival" and see what the drop down menu says. It will give you the different search terms that people use. If it's not there, don't use that title. Try entering in other search terms to see what's being searched on that could be used for that event.
After you pick the title with good search results, then use that term with a link to your b&b website that best suits it. If you are writing about something in your area, then link it back to your activities page, etc. This will definitely help your blog post ranking on google searches.

Is this true or are the search terms populating in the drop down from your OWN previous searches (history)?
I just did bed and b...and it brought up my state, then local. I fact all of them that populated were near me.

Is this true or are the search terms populating in the drop down from your OWN previous searches (history)?
I just did bed and b...and it brought up my state, then local. I fact all of them that populated were near me..
Joey Bloggs said:
I just did bed and b...and it brought up my state, then local. I fact all of them that populated were near me.
It is more likely using your location based on your ip address more than your search history.

Interesting info. Thanks Scott.
For those of you who blog, it's important to use those google terms/phrases in your blog post title and also in your first paragraph.
For example:
If you're writing about an event in your area called the "XYZ festival", go to google and type in "xyz festival" and see what the drop down menu says. It will give you the different search terms that people use. If it's not there, don't use that title. Try entering in other search terms to see what's being searched on that could be used for that event.
After you pick the title with good search results, then use that term with a link to your b&b website that best suits it. If you are writing about something in your area, then link it back to your activities page, etc. This will definitely help your blog post ranking on google searches..
Breakfast Diva said:
After you pick the title with good search results, then use that term with a link to your b&b website that best suits it. If you are writing about something in your area, then link it back to your activities page, etc. This will definitely help your blog post ranking on google searches.
Make sure that you aren't signed in to your goo gle account when you do this. It'll use your ip to tailor searches.

I am never in my google account doing other stuff, I figured that one a long time ago, that is something google needs to get a grip on in this WORLD wide web, we really don't want to search only in our area. Just like the flippin' bbq grill, dh looked one up t compare a price and now every ad is for a grill...leave me be, please!

I just did bed and b...and it brought up my state, then local. I fact all of them that populated were near me..
Joey Bloggs said:
It is more likely using your location based on your ip address more than your search history.
Actually it depends on whether or not you are signed in to a google account. If not, it is using location (based on your IP address). If you are logged in, it is using both location and your search history.

Joey Bloggs said:
Actually it depends on whether or not you are signed in to a google account. If not, it is using location (based on your IP address). If you are logged in, it is using both location and your search history.
In theory, but one is more heavilly weighted than the other right now. Emphasis on the words "right now" because google will likely fiddle with the balance as this moves along. Here is a little demo to try
  1. Sign into your google account
  2. Do a search for some city in a different part of the country than your current location
  3. Then erase that and start typing Bed and breakfast.
  4. Before you finish the word breakfast, scroll down and see if there are any B&B info related to your first city search. Mainly I am getting generic results and the few specific ones that show up are specific to my current location.
I've tried this with a lot of searches and never once has it returned travel related search for a previous location, only my current location.
If you have one where you are seeing it return previous search related results, please let me know so we can disect this further.

You can also use the google keyword tool to help you figure out what keywords people are searching for.
My original point was that you need to use keywords that have meaning so your post will rank higher. It doesn't help you to do a post on a local event that only a few people have ever searched for. Change your wording to use keywords that people DO search for, then get them interested in your local event.

Joey Bloggs said:
In theory, but one is more heavilly weighted than the other right now. Emphasis on the words "right now" because google will likely fiddle with the balance as this moves along. Here is a little demo to try
  2. Do a search for some city in a different part of the country than your current location
  4. Before you finish the word breakfast, scroll down and see if there are any B&B info related to your first city search. Mainly I am getting generic results and the few specific ones that show up are specific to my current location.
I've tried this with a lot of searches and never once has it returned travel related search for a previous location, only my current location.
If you have one where you are seeing it return previous search related results, please let me know so we can disect this further.
I know what you're saying and I think that is true - your location is weighted more heavily than recent search history, but I also noticed that the volume of search history has a heavy preponderance, too.
For example, I (like most of us) tend to search for B&B's. Try searching for "bed and bath supplies" and as you type "bed &" or "bed and" you get "breakfast" added because of your search volume. No amount of current searches for bath will change that until you've searched for bath a significant number of times.

Joey Bloggs said:
I know what you're saying and I think that is true - your location is weighted more heavily than recent search history, but I also noticed that the volume of search history has a heavy preponderance, too.
For example, I (like most of us) tend to search for B&B's. Try searching for "bed and bath supplies" and as you type "bed &" or "bed and" you get "breakfast" added because of your search volume. No amount of current searches for bath will change that until you've searched for bath a significant number of times.
Scott said:
Interesting. I'm not seeing that. If I use a clean slate computer through a proxy browser and not logged in to Google, I still get bed and breakfast when typing "bed and" with now sign of "bath". I think it has to do with search volume of the total userbase, not my search volume.

Back