Google Maps

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Okay so it has come to this.
You type in an address in google maps and up comes the image of the address, albeit wrong many times. I had to get a zip for some guests and google maps came up first in google. I clicked and there is their house.
I thought, hm, put in my address, and sure enough up pops a photo down the street.
I then put in my parents and lo and behold up pops a photo of a single wide in a grassy field! This is NOT their house, btw. If you click on the small image it populates the entire window. Oh and the window shows DRIVE, not ROAD like I put in, so I have no idea where this photo is taken. This is really gonna mess up someone's life...like future in-laws or something after they see a photo like this at that address. GOOD ONE GOOGLE.
poke.gif

PS Has anyone had any luck contacting google to correct a marker for an address yet? If so how do we go about it?
On ours if you click on the little BED marker for bed and breakfast it brings up this gorgeous photo that is NOT the same as the house they have pictured, it is of course, the real house, the real B&B.

I found this - http://www.goo gle.com/sup port/forum/p/earth/thread?tid=5745ee0a41b36a9a&hl=en
"the best you can do is upload modern images to panoramio.com - those will usually beshown along side streetview - in Google Maps at least - not used in Google earth yet. "

UGGGG!!! Just did my address and it does not show a picture only and A with my address.... further up the road (not in the correct spot) on the map says "copperhead B&B" with the little bed. Click on that and up pops my (wonderful
angry_smile.gif
) neighbors thrown together garage (looks like an old deserted cabin)
cry_smile.gif

I typed in several addresses and NEVER got any photos. I feel left out :-( Do you have to choose a particular setting like street? Photos?

PS Has anyone had any luck contacting google to correct a marker for an address yet? If so how do we go about it?
On ours if you click on the little BED marker for bed and breakfast it brings up this gorgeous photo that is NOT the same as the house they have pictured, it is of course, the real house, the real B&B..
You make this newbie feel not so bad. In addtion to these issues, they keep re-setting the zip code to the wrong town. I have sent an email in report an error, but it always defaults to move the marker wrong, and give the wrong zip. It IS close, so I have moved on. Information at least gives correct contact info. Will try the new upload image site.

Joey Bloggs said:
... lo and behold up pops a photo of a single wide in a grassy field! .... This is really gonna mess up someone's life...like future in-laws or something after they see a photo like this at that address. GOOD ONE GOOGLE.
poke.gif
Around here that would probably improve a young man's prospects...especially if they're cooking meth.
tounge_smile.gif

When we first opened, it was impossible to find us with a GPS because our county devised their own address system that was out of sync with the rest of the planet.
After much hunting on Google's site, I located the mapping services that Google uses and sent them emails with our GPS coordinates. We now show up at a exactly the right spot and have a nifty little bed icon associated with Google Maps. Sometimes, you gotta take matters into your own hands.

I found this - http://www.goo gle.com/sup port/forum/p/earth/thread?tid=5745ee0a41b36a9a&hl=en
"the best you can do is upload modern images to panoramio.com - those will usually beshown along side streetview - in Google Maps at least - not used in Google earth yet. ".
Thanks for posting this, I have uploaded some photos, and place some more markers. MY marker has once again been moved to it's default, but my zip code is finally right! Small Victory!

No need to contact google. Look up the address on Google Maps for your listing. You should have the options of "Report a problem" or "Move marker". If you do report a problem, there is a box for having them contact you. And I can tell you that I have in fact heard back from them a while later when they went through the updates.
I have a picture posted in Panaramio. It took a bit of time for it to show up. Originally it just showed up as a picture. Eventually Google actually aligned the photo so that when you mouse-over it flips the picture exactly over it, showing the house in the summer, versus Google Streetview, which was done in the late fall.

CL Try it without a zip, just an address, you can use mine if you wish, you will see it is not our place. But then the 77 reviews and B&B infor show this NICE LITTLE PHOTO. Wonder if people think it is a bait and switch tactic!

No need to contact google. Look up the address on Google Maps for your listing. You should have the options of "Report a problem" or "Move marker". If you do report a problem, there is a box for having them contact you. And I can tell you that I have in fact heard back from them a while later when they went through the updates.
I have a picture posted in Panaramio. It took a bit of time for it to show up. Originally it just showed up as a picture. Eventually Google actually aligned the photo so that when you mouse-over it flips the picture exactly over it, showing the house in the summer, versus Google Streetview, which was done in the late fall..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have a picture posted in Panaramio. It took a bit of time for it to show up. Originally it just showed up as a picture. Eventually Google actually aligned the photo so that when you mouse-over it flips the picture exactly over it, showing the house in the summer, versus Google Streetview, which was done in the late fall.
I did the report a problem already to move a marker.

OK, I tried yours. I get the map. A little pop up box with the inn info and a link to the reviews, same I see on mine. Is that pop up box what you're talking about? Or are you seeing something else altogether?

OK, I tried yours. I get the map. A little pop up box with the inn info and a link to the reviews, same I see on mine. Is that pop up box what you're talking about? Or are you seeing something else altogether?.
Alibi Ike said:
OK, I tried yours. I get the map. A little pop up box with the inn info and a link to the reviews, same I see on mine. Is that pop up box what you're talking about? Or are you seeing something else altogether?
click here - see the image at the left - that is not us. When you CLICK on that image it brings up a larger image and then click on the little bed - which is not in front of our place as a marker at all...then all our google info we feed in like reviews and biz listing shows up in that little pop up window.
PS On the first clcik to the bigger map you see a STAR that IS US, then the marker "A" that is not us. As we have asked for it to be corrected before.

OK, I tried yours. I get the map. A little pop up box with the inn info and a link to the reviews, same I see on mine. Is that pop up box what you're talking about? Or are you seeing something else altogether?.
Alibi Ike said:
click here - see the image at the left - that is not us. When you CLICK on that image it brings up a larger image and then click on the little bed - which is not in front of our place as a marker at all...then all our google info we feed in like reviews and biz listing shows up in that little pop up window.
PS On the first clcik to the bigger map you see a STAR that IS US, then the marker "A" that is not us. As we have asked for it to be corrected before.
Yeah, you have to scroll down and around to actually find you and of course no one would know to do that. Guess no one has taken photos in our town and there aren't any that I can find. I changed a position for one of my clients a long while ago. But guess what I talked to someone from Google the other day because they called about selling me something. I told them we closed 4 years ago and to remove us. She said they would..but it has been a week and our place is still there :-(

Alibi Ike said:
The addresses in Google are off. You are listed as being close to 75 on that street. Report the problem, they will fix it.

Alibi Ike said:
The addresses in Google are off. You are listed as being close to 75 on that street. Report the problem, they will fix it.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes, I did. I did before and I did again yesterday. We are a weather station monitor and had to make sure the info was correct for that, so we did it then as well. It is just the PHOTO really that is wrong. But there are some people who are REALLY into that.
Odd how it is that way, when you TYPE IN 185 you get a photo of 75. If you scroll up the street 4 houses up you can find out place. UGH how I hate the winter photos... At least it is not showing a single wide. haha

Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes, I did. I did before and I did again yesterday. We are a weather station monitor and had to make sure the info was correct for that, so we did it then as well. It is just the PHOTO really that is wrong. But there are some people who are REALLY into that.
Odd how it is that way, when you TYPE IN 185 you get a photo of 75. If you scroll up the street 4 houses up you can find out place. UGH how I hate the winter photos... At least it is not showing a single wide. haha
Google is usually pretty good with that, but maybe it has to do with the number of updates that I send them. So, I added my voice to the pack as well, to see if they can fix it for you. It might need reprogramming, which can take longer.

Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Google is usually pretty good with that, but maybe it has to do with the number of updates that I send them. So, I added my voice to the pack as well, to see if they can fix it for you. It might need reprogramming, which can take longer.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thanks, appreciate it!

Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thanks, appreciate it!
Not a problem. I have a confirmation from Google in my inbox. If you want a copy, just send me a note and I'll forward the copy to you.
PS: When you reported your problem, were you logged on with the account you used to create your Google Listing? Because your listing is owner verified, that will certainly carry more weight.

Hi guys - follow up on the problem with my business placement on Google Maps. -
To get this clear if you search my B&B by name, city, state or address, city, state, the red bubble with the A and pic icon show up on the map in the correct location... BUT the business name and bed symbol is located down the street and the street view shows my neighbor's leanto shed/garage... obviously NOT the view I want people to see when they search my place.
So, I contacted them (Monday) both through my account listing and as a general user providing the GPS coord. of my real location... Monday evening I recieved an email notification as a general user saying they will be checking it...
Today I recieved a call asking to verify my business address, then I started to explain the details of my request. It sounded as though he was telling me that they had corrected everything. He spoke with very broken English so even though I asked 2-3 times, his answer was the same and still difficult to know for sure...
Just checked the placement, the biz name and bed icon remain in the wrong location
cry_smile.gif
... I may be viewing through a server that has not been refreshed so will give it a day or two. Just wanted to give you the status update and to say they seem to be very quick to "work" on these issues. Now waiting to see if they really WORKED!

Back