Google Places "New Interpretations" for descriptions and attribute fields

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Sorry if I am reinventing the wheel again, but this was news to me. While in a google help forum I, I found that in the places listing the description field must not contain any part of your business name, address, or category. This will penalize your ranking. Apparently, this "new" enforcement starts with new or newly edited listings. Older listings have not been enforced yet, but a minor change may result in a major ranking tumble.

That is very interesting information - could you please give a link to that forum post? Searching Google's Place Pages Help, I found a discussion that mentions that this is a common misinterpretation, but that there is no evidence of a Google employee ever confirming it.That is found in this thread.
Google's guidelines are clear that the description should not be "keyword stuffed" into the business name, but the guidelines, themselves, do not indicate that the business name should not appear in the description.

I am looking at mine, since the other fields in google places asks the other information, you really don't have need to put it in the description (it's been a while since I added the info so trying to recall the steps). Name, address and business type are asked in other areas. Pls post a link to where that info is from so we can verify, thanks!
Here is ours
Description: Lovely Queen Anne located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. 15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, Roanoke or Smith Mountain Lake. Central to everything! Private baths, TV's, 130' porch, WIFI

That is very interesting information - could you please give a link to that forum post? Searching Google's Place Pages Help, I found a discussion that mentions that this is a common misinterpretation, but that there is no evidence of a Google employee ever confirming it.That is found in this thread.
Google's guidelines are clear that the description should not be "keyword stuffed" into the business name, but the guidelines, themselves, do not indicate that the business name should not appear in the description..
Here is where I found the discussion: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Places/thread?tid=7ce53857f8957ee6&hl=en

Google's guidelines are clear that the description should not be "keyword stuffed" into the business name, but the guidelines, themselves, do not indicate that the business name should not appear in the description..
Here is where I found the discussion: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Places/thread?tid=7ce53857f8957ee6&hl=en
Thanks - I had seen that thread, but wasn't sure it was the one you referred to, as no official Google statement supports the opinion of the poster. His recommendations are reasonable, if you accept his interpretation of "additiional information" being the same as Google's interpretation of it. We just don't know for certain if Google sees it the same way.
Still, if you make a change, being very careful is certainly good advice.

Thanks - I had seen that thread, but wasn't sure it was the one you referred to, as no official Google statement supports the opinion of the poster. His recommendations are reasonable, if you accept his interpretation of "additiional information" being the same as Google's interpretation of it. We just don't know for certain if Google sees it the same way.
Still, if you make a change, being very careful is certainly good advice.
I thought it best to be safe rather than sorry. Just passing this on for what it is worth.

Back