Google rankings vary by computer??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InnBloom

Reaction score
Perhaps some of you web-savvy folks can explain this. I was just checking to see where I come up on google listings for my city, so I googled 'my city' followed by search terms like hotels, accommodations, lodging, bed breakfast. It seemed like I had slipped a bit on the results that weren't B&B specific, so I was looking closer. That's when I discovered that I got different listings depending on what computer I was using.
I ended up doing the same google searches on my husband's computer and got different results than on my own.
For example, if I googled "'my city' bed breakfast" on HIS computer, our inn listed first beneath the map. Terrific, that's what I'm used to seeing. But on MY computer, same search terms, we came up NINTH -- (barely on the first page)--and behind BB.com and bbonline and etc.
Any ideas why this would be?? Does the order of listings change depending on what sites you've visited before?

It depends on if you are logged in to your google account, or if he is logged in to his. If you are logged in, search history plays a bit of a role.

Not in your case, but for others, location can play into what results you get.

Yes.
All it takes it DH to spend some time on this pc like he did last night to change things up a bit on my results on everything.

This is fascinating. So when someone is talking about how their SEO work has changed ranking, one needs to be aware to check on more than one computer....and/or make sure nobody's logged into a google account.

This is fascinating. So when someone is talking about how their SEO work has changed ranking, one needs to be aware to check on more than one computer....and/or make sure nobody's logged into a google account..
Just log out of your google account and repeat the search. No reason to switch computers.

Back