Google Search Optimization

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
Is there anyway to do a search so that Google is less inclined to tailor it to you?
So far, the only thing I know to do is to do the search when I am not signed in to Google. When I sign in, I think it gives me a different result. I would like to know what someone from -say- San Jose - gets when they type in hawaii bed and breakfast (s) and how that is different from when I do the search here.
Does anyone else even think about these things?

It never occurred to me that I would not get the same result as someone from 'away'. I'll do your search and see if I can post the results. Then you'll know what someone from VERY far away gets!
Using 'hawaii bed and breakfast' I don't know how this is going to format when I hit save but the the 'sponsored links' that show up at the top of this page are the ones on the right side of the actual page. Here's the link to what I got:
http://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+bed+and+breakfast&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-13,GGGL:en
Results 1 - 10 of about 16,000,000 for hawaii bed and breakfast. (0.31 seconds)
[tr]Sponsored Links[/h2]
  1. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    symres:sb_safeannotation.png
    [/h3]Ocean Views & First Class Service
    at our Tropical Hawaiian Getaway.
    www.HolualoaInn.com
  2. [h3]Ka'awa Loa Plantation
    symres:sb_unknownannotation.png
    [/h3]Luxurious Hawaiian accommodations
    above Kealakekua Bay.Book now!
    www.kaawaloaplantation.com
  3. [h3]Hawaiian B & B on Maui
    [/h3]Elegant Maui Bed & Breakfast
    Ocean View Rooms with Private Decks
    www.GardenGatebb.com/Hawaii
  4. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    symres:sb_safeshopannotation.png
    [/h3]Low Rates & Savings on hotels.
    Check with Hotels.com first.
    www.hotels.com
  5. [h3]Hawaii Bed & Breakfasts
    [/h3]Bed and Breakfasts in Hawaii
    Gift Certificates Available
    www.BnBFinder.com
  6. [h3]Hawaii Bed & Breakfast
    [/h3]Three Night Special-$99 per night
    Mar.1-May 31/09
    www.macadamiameadows.com
  7. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    [/h3]Great Hawaii Bed And Breakfast Rates!
    Plan your Getaway today and Save.
    Kayak.com/Hawaii
  8. [h3]Hawaii Inns
    [/h3]Find the Perfect B&B or Inn. View
    Photos, Guest Reviews, & More!
    www.BedandBreakfast.com
More Sponsored Links »
[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][/tr][/table]Sponsored Links[/h2]
  1. [h3]Bed & Breakfast on Hawaii
    [/h3]www.Waianuhea.com Private Big Island B&B Retreat with Gourmet Breakfast & Luxury Suites.
  2. [h3]Heaven on Earth - Hawaii
    [/h3]www.volcanovillagelodge.com Perfect Blend of Natural Beauty & Luxurious Peace in Volcano $175-275
  3. [h3]Luana Inn Bed & Breakfast
    [/h3]www.luanainn.com Vast ocean view in South Kona Walk to Kealakekua Bay
Search Results[/h2]
  1. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast, Country Inn - Bed & Breakfasts
    [/h3]The leading directory of Hawaii bed and breakfasts since 1995. Over 5000 B&Bs and country inns. BBOnline has been awarded INNSTAR's highest rating -- 5 ...
    www.bbonline.com/hi/ - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
  2. Hawaii Best Bed and Breakfast, BnB's, B&B rentals
    [/h3]Hawaii bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals on Hawaiian islands of Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai and Big Island of Hawaii.
    Big Island of Hawaii - Oahu - Maui - Kauai
    www.bestbnb.com/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
  3. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns. Find HI B&B's & Lodging Listings.
    [/h3]Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns & B&B directory. Find the perfect Hawaii Bed and Breakfast lodging accommodations.
    www.bedandbreakfast.com/hawaii.html - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
  4. USA Bed and Breakfast Inns Listings. Find the perfect unique B&B's ...
    [/h3]Find the perfect unique B&B's and Inns on Bed and Breakfast.com. ... Search over 6500 B&B's and book Bed and Breakfast Inns online. Read guest reviews and ...
    www.bedandbreakfast.com/usa.html - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
    More results from www.bedandbreakfast.com »
  5. Hawaii Island Bed & Breakfast Association, on the Big Island of ...
    [/h3]Our forty plus members provide the personal experience and quality-inspected Bed and Breakfasts, Bed and Breakfast Cottages, and Small Inns, ...
    www.stayhawaii.com/ - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
  6. Hawaii Bed & Breakfast, Hawaii B&B
    [/h3]Legendary Dagonfly Ranch: Hawaii Bed and Breakfast,Kona Hawaii bed and breakfast and Kona Hawaii Vacation Rental, caters to a kinder, gentler tourist ...
    www.dragonflyranch.com/ - 43k - Cached - Similar pages
  7. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns, HI B&B Gift Certificates - Most ...
    [/h3]Searchable listings of Bed and Breakfast accommodations grouped by island and locale.
    www.bnbfinder.com/Hawaii-Bed-and-Breakfast - 88k - Cached - Similar pages
  8. Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast - Oceanfront in Hilo on the Big ...
    [/h3]Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast - Oceanfront accommodations, delicious breakfasts, and a spectacular view of the Pacific and Hilo Bay - Located in Hilo on ...[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]Show map of 111 Honolii Pl, Hilo, HI 96720
    www.halekaihawaii.com/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages
  9. Maui Bed and Breakfast -- Lahaina Bed and Breakfast -- Garden Gate ...
    [/h3]Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast offers the finest Maui Lodging at affordable rates. As a Lahaina, Maui Bed and Breakfast we are members of numerous Hawaii bed ...[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]Show map of 67 Kaniau Rd, Lahaina, HI 96761
    www.gardengatebb.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
  10. Coconut Cottage - A Big Island Pahoa Hawaii Bed and Breakfast
    [/h3]Coconut Cottage is a Big Island Hawaii Bed and Breakfast between Hilo and Volcanoes National Park.
    www.coconutcottagehawaii.com/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
.suggestion { font-size: 83%; padding: 0 30px 6px 0; vertical-align: top }Related searches:[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr]oahu bed and breakfast[/td]maui bed and breakfast[/td]kauai bed and breakfast[/td][/tr][/table]

It never occurred to me that I would not get the same result as someone from 'away'. I'll do your search and see if I can post the results. Then you'll know what someone from VERY far away gets!
Using 'hawaii bed and breakfast' I don't know how this is going to format when I hit save but the the 'sponsored links' that show up at the top of this page are the ones on the right side of the actual page. Here's the link to what I got:
http://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+bed+and+breakfast&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-13,GGGL:en
Results 1 - 10 of about 16,000,000 for hawaii bed and breakfast. (0.31 seconds)
[tr]Sponsored Links[/h2]
  1. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    [/h3]Ocean Views & First Class Service
    at our Tropical Hawaiian Getaway.
    www.HolualoaInn.com
  2. [h3]Ka'awa Loa Plantation
    [/h3]Luxurious Hawaiian accommodations
    above Kealakekua Bay.Book now!
    www.kaawaloaplantation.com
  3. [h3]Hawaiian B & B on Maui
    [/h3]Elegant Maui Bed & Breakfast
    Ocean View Rooms with Private Decks
    www.GardenGatebb.com/Hawaii
  4. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    [/h3]Low Rates & Savings on hotels.
    Check with Hotels.com first.
    www.hotels.com
  5. [h3]Hawaii Bed & Breakfasts
    [/h3]Bed and Breakfasts in Hawaii
    Gift Certificates Available
    www.BnBFinder.com
  6. [h3]Hawaii Bed & Breakfast
    [/h3]Three Night Special-$99 per night
    Mar.1-May 31/09
    www.macadamiameadows.com
  7. [h3]Hawaii Bed And Breakfast
    [/h3]Great Hawaii Bed And Breakfast Rates!
    Plan your Getaway today and Save.
    Kayak.com/Hawaii
  8. [h3]Hawaii Inns
    [/h3]Find the Perfect B&B or Inn. View
    Photos, Guest Reviews, & More!
    www.BedandBreakfast.com
More Sponsored Links »
[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][/tr][/table]Sponsored Links[/h2]
  1. [h3]Bed & Breakfast on Hawaii
    [/h3]www.Waianuhea.com Private Big Island B&B Retreat with Gourmet Breakfast & Luxury Suites.
  2. [h3]Heaven on Earth - Hawaii
    [/h3]www.volcanovillagelodge.com Perfect Blend of Natural Beauty & Luxurious Peace in Volcano $175-275
  3. [h3]Luana Inn Bed & Breakfast
    [/h3]www.luanainn.com Vast ocean view in South Kona Walk to Kealakekua Bay
Search Results[/h2]
  1. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast, Country Inn - Bed & Breakfasts
    [/h3]The leading directory of Hawaii bed and breakfasts since 1995. Over 5000 B&Bs and country inns. BBOnline has been awarded INNSTAR's highest rating -- 5 ...
  2. Hawaii Best Bed and Breakfast, BnB's, B&B rentals
    [/h3]Hawaii bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals on Hawaiian islands of Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai and Big Island of Hawaii.
    Big Island of Hawaii - Oahu - Maui - Kauai
    www.bestbnb.com/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
  3. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns. Find HI B&B's & Lodging Listings.
    [/h3]Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns & B&B directory. Find the perfect Hawaii Bed and Breakfast lodging accommodations.
    www.bedandbreakfast.com/hawaii.html - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
  4. USA Bed and Breakfast Inns Listings. Find the perfect unique B&B's ...
    [/h3]Find the perfect unique B&B's and Inns on Bed and Breakfast.com. ... Search over 6500 B&B's and book Bed and Breakfast Inns online. Read guest reviews and ...
    www.bedandbreakfast.com/usa.html - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
    More results from www.bedandbreakfast.com »
  5. Hawaii Island Bed & Breakfast Association, on the Big Island of ...
    [/h3]Our forty plus members provide the personal experience and quality-inspected Bed and Breakfasts, Bed and Breakfast Cottages, and Small Inns, ...
    www.stayhawaii.com/ - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
  6. Hawaii Bed & Breakfast, Hawaii B&B
    [/h3]Legendary Dagonfly Ranch: Hawaii Bed and Breakfast,Kona Hawaii bed and breakfast and Kona Hawaii Vacation Rental, caters to a kinder, gentler tourist ...
    www.dragonflyranch.com/ - 43k - Cached - Similar pages
  7. Hawaii Bed and Breakfast Inns, HI B&B Gift Certificates - Most ...
    [/h3]Searchable listings of Bed and Breakfast accommodations grouped by island and locale.
    www.bnbfinder.com/Hawaii-Bed-and-Breakfast - 88k - Cached - Similar pages
  8. Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast - Oceanfront in Hilo on the Big ...
    [/h3]Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast - Oceanfront accommodations, delicious breakfasts, and a spectacular view of the Pacific and Hilo Bay - Located in Hilo on ...[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]Show map of 111 Honolii Pl, Hilo, HI 96720
    www.halekaihawaii.com/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages
  9. Maui Bed and Breakfast -- Lahaina Bed and Breakfast -- Garden Gate ...
    [/h3]Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast offers the finest Maui Lodging at affordable rates. As a Lahaina, Maui Bed and Breakfast we are members of numerous Hawaii bed ...[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]Show map of 67 Kaniau Rd, Lahaina, HI 96761
    www.gardengatebb.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
  10. Coconut Cottage - A Big Island Pahoa Hawaii Bed and Breakfast
    [/h3]Coconut Cottage is a Big Island Hawaii Bed and Breakfast between Hilo and Volcanoes National Park.
    www.coconutcottagehawaii.com/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
.suggestion { font-size: 83%; padding: 0 30px 6px 0; vertical-align: top }Related searches:[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr]oahu bed and breakfast[/td]maui bed and breakfast[/td]kauai bed and breakfast[/td][/tr][/table].
Fascinating! It is really amazing what you can find out. I noticed some differences in the adwords immediately- because you can run an ad in specific geographical areas. I am going to take a closer look and compare.

Google has options for advertising in specific geographic areas - usually by state or city - and so does tailors the ads it shows you depending on where it 'thinks' you are. I presume this is by information in your IP address or something - don't know that bit.

Google has options for advertising in specific geographic areas - usually by state or city - and so does tailors the ads it shows you depending on where it 'thinks' you are. I presume this is by information in your IP address or something - don't know that bit..
Sorry, I got of track a bit- Its the google search results that I am curious about.
The ads are not such a mystery

I did some research and found that the 7 8 and 9 positions were different and that there was an extra page for bbonline on the first page.
Bree- I would love to know what the second page gave you.
If nothing else, it confirms which online rez directs to use.

knkbnb said:
LOL <sarcasm> Have you met me??? </sarcasm>
Google does have the potential to tailor organic results both if you are signed into your google account, if you are running some options/add-ons to the Google toolbar and by your geolocation pulled from your IP address.
The ip address influence mainly comes into play with local suggestions if/when you do a search for something without including the area. So if you search for "pizza" it may give you local pizza restaurants even though you didn't specify your location.
It also comes into play if you are using google from another country. Google.de will give you different results than google.ca
Though for a specific region search there are usually only minor variations which are similar to the kind of variations you see from one datacenter to another (they are often the secondary listings that differ as those are often marginal).
Google in general has been pretty slow (thankfully) to impliment major alterations for search based on region of search history.

knkbnb said:
LOL <sarcasm> Have you met me??? </sarcasm>
Google does have the potential to tailor organic results both if you are signed into your google account, if you are running some options/add-ons to the Google toolbar and by your geolocation pulled from your IP address.
The ip address influence mainly comes into play with local suggestions if/when you do a search for something without including the area. So if you search for "pizza" it may give you local pizza restaurants even though you didn't specify your location.
It also comes into play if you are using google from another country. Google.de will give you different results than google.ca
Though for a specific region search there are usually only minor variations which are similar to the kind of variations you see from one datacenter to another (they are often the secondary listings that differ as those are often marginal).
Google in general has been pretty slow (thankfully) to impliment major alterations for search based on region of search history..
thanks for the great feedback swirt
this all came about because we started showing up on the first page of my searches that I do for the most common search for our market. I wondered if the fact that I was doing these occasional searches was somehow influences my results, since I have been goin to our website more often than usual while I was working on it.

search: hawaii bed and breakfast
Results, from Ashland, Ohio (not including pink sponsored links at the top):
The leading directory of Hawaii bed and breakfasts since 1995. Over 5000 B&Bs and country inns. BBOnline has been awarded INNSTAR's highest rating -- 5 ...

The leading directory of Hawaii bed and breakfasts since 1995. Over 5000 B&Bs and country inns. BBOnline has been awarded INNSTAR's highest rating -- 5 ...
What an education!
We have many many inns competing for a spot on the search for those words. It is heavily advertised on and getting on the first page is a big deal for us.
I have to say that there is no way I would have been able to make any progress without some help and I thank everyone for helping.
I hope folks won't mind if I single out swirt for a special thanks and NW BB for an independent look at how the site feels.
I am excited because I haven't done a lot of things yet, so there is room to do even better.
Regarding the search, it does seem that, with a few minor differences, that the sites and their order are reliable enough to assume you are getting an approximate result similar to what someone in Ashland gets.
regular_smile.gif
I have some more reviewing to do!

What an education!
We have many many inns competing for a spot on the search for those words. It is heavily advertised on and getting on the first page is a big deal for us.
I have to say that there is no way I would have been able to make any progress without some help and I thank everyone for helping.
I hope folks won't mind if I single out swirt for a special thanks and NW BB for an independent look at how the site feels.
I am excited because I haven't done a lot of things yet, so there is room to do even better.
Regarding the search, it does seem that, with a few minor differences, that the sites and their order are reliable enough to assume you are getting an approximate result similar to what someone in Ashland gets.
regular_smile.gif
Do you really want to come up high on 'Hawaii B&B' or would it be more profitable to come up first on YOUR area? This you would know. Do guests coming to the islands just want to go to Hawaii, or do they want to go someplace in particular?
Here, a lot of guests want a particular place so my coming up on page one of a state search might lead to a lot of clicks, but no more bookings than coming up well in my area.

What an education!
regular_smile.gif
Do you really want to come up high on 'Hawaii B&B' or would it be more profitable to come up first on YOUR area? This you would know. Do guests coming to the islands just want to go to Hawaii, or do they want to go someplace in particular?
Here, a lot of guests want a particular place so my coming up on page one of a state search might lead to a lot of clicks, but no more bookings than coming up well in my area.
Yeah - I think it is very different here. We are on Hawaii Island in the state of Hawaii. Our island has the most favorable laws supporting B&B's- so a high number of inns are concentrated here. We do come up in our local area but that is an uncommon search.
Being an island, most folks make some assumptions about lodging that are off target. We have to try to catch the visitor when they are first looking. There are other searches that are decent, but this term, singular and plural, is by far the most important. There are other great seach terms, but when it comes to bed and breakfast people, this is one of their first searches. Moreover, if they search O`ahu Bed and Breakfast, they may not find as many options as they expected and would move up to the next most general search they can think of- Hawaii. It is amazing how many people start out thinking they are going to do one island and end up doing two. It has been interesting to hear from some of our guests how they ended up on our island.

What an education!
regular_smile.gif
Yeah - I think it is very different here. We are on Hawaii Island in the state of Hawaii. Our island has the most favorable laws supporting B&B's- so a high number of inns are concentrated here. We do come up in our local area but that is an uncommon search.
Being an island, most folks make some assumptions about lodging that are off target. We have to try to catch the visitor when they are first looking. There are other searches that are decent, but this term, singular and plural, is by far the most important. There are other great seach terms, but when it comes to bed and breakfast people, this is one of their first searches. Moreover, if they search O`ahu Bed and Breakfast, they may not find as many options as they expected and would move up to the next most general search they can think of- Hawaii. It is amazing how many people start out thinking they are going to do one island and end up doing two. It has been interesting to hear from some of our guests how they ended up on our island.
Ah, because you ARE on the big island, it's best you come up for that search.

What an education!
regular_smile.gif
Ah, because you ARE on the big island, it's best you come up for that search.
It's true that that is another good search, but it is a little more complicated that how it seems. There are some cultural things that we are trying to move back towards and we have to factor that in. The term, BIG ISLAND, is one of those things.

Back