Got a Doozy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Yesterday I was contacted by a detective in the sheriff's office of the 'big city' a couple hours away. She wanted to know some information about a charge she found for our place while doing a criminal investigation. The deposit happened a few months before their actual stay with us.
Before giving any information, I made sure that she was who she said she was. I googled the sheriff's dept in their town and asked for the detective, because I'm not going to give out private guest information to just anyone who calls!
I can't get into any real detail, but let's just say that the actual date the guests stayed was HIS 18th birthday! SHE was/is a HS teacher. YIKES! Their stay was a few years ago.
We have no legal difficulties with this situation, but there is a slim chance I may have to testify if it comes to trial. By the way, I have no memory of these guests, I only have what is in my reservation system.
Geez...what next?!

Yup, that's a doozy for sure!
I wonder if she's now involved with an underage kid and they're gathering evidence of a long-term penchant for teen boys.

Ask if an affividavit would suffice, expecially considering that you don't remember anything. You are nicer than I am, unless it involved a real crime, I would have made him provide me with legal paperwork before even checking... not wanting to end up being called to testify being one of the top reasons.

Wow, sorry to hear that, we have those questionable guests at times, the later arrivals and all of us wonder, always wonder...I hope it works out for you to be out of the loop.
I used to drive past the Purdy WOmens Corrections in Gig Harbor every day to work for a couple years where mary kay letournow (spelled wrong on purpose) was held up and with child from said kid. The rest if history
I am glad they are looking into it! GOD BLESS OUR SHERIFFS DEPT's!

We had an incident with a Community College Softball coach in our previous life. Turns out he was using his position for his procurement purposes. Unlike her predecessors, our daughter blew the whistle. I was very proud of her.
When the AD called me, he actually asked, "What do you want?" I think he was waiting to hear how many zeroes. Instead, I told him they were lucky some girl had not put her head in the oven - the way atheletes are coddled they are just short of being neurotic. I told him my daughter was of legal age, that was a separate issue and a non-issue. I then said he used his position of trust wrongly and I wanted him fired in such a way that he could never EVER be in that position again - anywhere! He told my daughter she had one smart Mother. She has been in my corner ever since. A coach was God and an AD was higher than a coash.

I hate having to go to court to testify. I have had to go testify for and against preivous clients with my current job (the one that pays). It never gets easy. I hate getting that summons!

Sunshine, you're right. Testifying stinks. I had to testify in court about 6 years ago regarding a dog shooting incident. It's so weird...I lived in Los Angeles for 25 years and never had an incident, then I get to the country where 'neighbors' are 1/2 mile apart and THAT'S when I witness something? Geez.
More than likely I'll never be called again for this case, but I hope at the very least, she lose her job and can't teach kids anymore.
JB - My first thought was MaryK also!

Back