Got butterMILK?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Never use a whole carton of buttermilk? Freeze it into cubes. Do this with chicken broth and tomato paste also.
click here

Speaking of buttermilk, some show I watched recently was saying the buttermilk we buy in stores now is not real buttermilk. It's something they whip up in a factory from things added to regular milk.
They said to get authentic buttermilk now, you have to buy powered buttermilk and add water. We found it at the grocery store and have been using it to make cornbread. It's good. Once opened you're supposed to keep the powder in the refrigerator but it takes up a lot less space than a carton of buttermilk, and for the amount of buttermilk it makes up, it's cheaper than buttermilk in a carton.

Speaking of buttermilk, some show I watched recently was saying the buttermilk we buy in stores now is not real buttermilk. It's something they whip up in a factory from things added to regular milk.
They said to get authentic buttermilk now, you have to buy powered buttermilk and add water. We found it at the grocery store and have been using it to make cornbread. It's good. Once opened you're supposed to keep the powder in the refrigerator but it takes up a lot less space than a carton of buttermilk, and for the amount of buttermilk it makes up, it's cheaper than buttermilk in a carton..
That's the one I use because no recipe uses a whole carton. The can in the fridge is a magical thing.

Buttermilk these days is actually more like yogurt - it's a cultured product with live bacteria. Good stuff.
I substitute buttermilk in just about any baked good that calls for milk.

Buttermilk these days is actually more like yogurt - it's a cultured product with live bacteria. Good stuff.
I substitute buttermilk in just about any baked good that calls for milk..
One of my recipe books says if you haven't got buttermilk use half milk, half yogurt. That's what I do when I make my buttermilk rolls for breakfast.

One of my recipe books says if you haven't got buttermilk use half milk, half yogurt. That's what I do when I make my buttermilk rolls for breakfast.
If a recipe calls for buttermilk, 1 cup of milk + 1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice is what I have always used. Never used buttermilk.

If a recipe calls for buttermilk, 1 cup of milk + 1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice is what I have always used. Never used buttermilk.
EmptyNest said:
Never used buttermilk.
My sympathy to you.

It's a replacement, but not an equivalent. Buttermilk has a certain texture and taste that is very different. Buttermilk is cultured, like yogurt.

It's a replacement, but not an equivalent. Buttermilk has a certain texture and taste that is very different. Buttermilk is cultured, like yogurt.
Yes, a replacement. But it works well if someone does not have buttermilk. Since I never had a use for it, I never bought it and because the replacement worked just fine. I see no need for the extra purchase.

Yes, a replacement. But it works well if someone does not have buttermilk. Since I never had a use for it, I never bought it and because the replacement worked just fine. I see no need for the extra purchase.
I grew up on a farm. We had cows so had plenty of cream and churned our butter. I grew up having REAL buttermilk. Mom was always baking. I can never remember using anything other than milk with vinegar for recipes needing sour milk or buttermilk.

I grew up on a farm. We had cows so had plenty of cream and churned our butter. I grew up having REAL buttermilk. Mom was always baking. I can never remember using anything other than milk with vinegar for recipes needing sour milk or buttermilk.
gillumhouse said:
I can never remember using anything other than milk with vinegar for recipes needing sour milk or buttermilk.
My sympathy to you.
teeth_smile.gif

All this talk about buttermilk is making me hungry! How about pancakes?
1 egg
2 Tbs melted butter
3/4 cup buttermilk +1/4 cup milk
(1/2 teas almond extract if making pear pancakes)
1 cup flour
2 teas. sugar
1 Tb. baking powder
(1/2 teas cinnamon if making apple pancakes)
1/4 teas salt
Combine the wet ingredients, add the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and fold in fruit of choice. Cook on hot griddle with butter.
Serve hot with butter and Vermont Maple syrup (because you probably won't find the Canadian stuff!)
wink_smile.gif

Back