Got Leaves?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Please post 'em when you do! We would love to see your leaf colors in your neck of the woods.
(Removed orig pix as they were last year, will post new ones from this year shortly...end of Oct)

WOW you do have leaves. Hope Tony is having fun raking them all up :) Our are no where near that color or falling. We have had some blowing off the trees but the color is no where near what you have yet. Not sure it will be this year.

I love those pics SO much! Beautiful. We are not getting any color change this year, they are just falling off as the drought was too much for them. The acorns and walnuts are falling in abundance however, been raking those by the wagon full.

I love those pics SO much! Beautiful. We are not getting any color change this year, they are just falling off as the drought was too much for them. The acorns and walnuts are falling in abundance however, been raking those by the wagon full..
Don Draper said:
I love those pics SO much! Beautiful. We are not getting any color change this year, they are just falling off as the drought was too much for them. The acorns and walnuts are falling in abundance however, been raking those by the wagon full.
I always wonder in my farmer's almanac sort of wondering does that mean harsher winter since the animals will have more food stored away with the abundance of acorns/nuts? Or does that mean we will have a heavier rain with them being pushed into the soil to germinate in the spring?
Gotta dodge those squirrels tho as they toss them down on your head! We have two large pecan trees and they will take your eye out!

I love those pics SO much! Beautiful. We are not getting any color change this year, they are just falling off as the drought was too much for them. The acorns and walnuts are falling in abundance however, been raking those by the wagon full..
Don Draper said:
I always wonder in my farmer's almanac sort of wondering does that mean harsher winter since the animals will have more food stored away with the abundance of acorns/nuts? Or does that mean we will have a heavier rain with them being pushed into the soil to germinate in the spring?
Gotta dodge those squirrels tho as they toss them down on your head! We have two large pecan trees and they will take your eye out!
The general rule of thumb here is the more nuts the worse the winter (long, cold, snowy). Our egg farmer told me his almanac is predicting an early winter this year but then an early spring next year...guess we'll take it!

Don Draper said:
Around here, the Amish collect the walnuts (black, preferably) and sell them to the walnut people. The going rate is $10/100lbs of UNSHELLED walnuts. 100 lbs of unshelled black walnuts is A LOT of shell. The size of the meat vs the amount of shell is almost absurd.
I take my friend to the walnut sheller every year and she comes out of there with $40 or so. It would seem to me that the amount of work that she and her family put into the collection of them is NOT worth the money.

What great photos! Our colors are coming into peak now. I love this time of year.

I have seen black walnut furniture it is beautiful! And eaten black walnut ice cream, but they are in abundance around here and I was curious to know why as the residents just let them drop to the ground and discolor everything... the background on them is interesting. Not much can grow under or near a black walnut tree, they have a toxin like some pine needles (Allelopathy) which means it puts out a chemical into the air and soil so nothing will be able to compete for nutrients or root space.
So some plant these for weed control, esp areas where their are ticks that like tall grasses.

We have black walnut trees everywhere and I curse them year round. They are a filthy tree, always dropping SOMETHING, and now the gigantic walnuts.
The nuts are incredibly time consuming to try to harvest, you all but have to drive a car over them to crack the outer shell, then you need to wade through the black goop that gives them their name (and it stains EVERYTHING, including your hands, PERMANENTLY). Then get to the inner nut, crack it and find your very tiny (but delicious) black walnut inside.
So that's why this owner lets them drop to the ground and spends days raking them up and getting rid of them. And they don't all fall at once, so this is basically every free moment you have in October
teeth_smile.gif

But YES, the wood is gorgeous and quite valuable...I wish someone would buy mine and come chop them down.

We have black walnut trees everywhere and I curse them year round. They are a filthy tree, always dropping SOMETHING, and now the gigantic walnuts.
The nuts are incredibly time consuming to try to harvest, you all but have to drive a car over them to crack the outer shell, then you need to wade through the black goop that gives them their name (and it stains EVERYTHING, including your hands, PERMANENTLY). Then get to the inner nut, crack it and find your very tiny (but delicious) black walnut inside.
So that's why this owner lets them drop to the ground and spends days raking them up and getting rid of them. And they don't all fall at once, so this is basically every free moment you have in October
teeth_smile.gif

But YES, the wood is gorgeous and quite valuable...I wish someone would buy mine and come chop them down..
Don Draper said:
I wish someone would buy mine and come chop them down.
Truly, I bet if you adveritised they were for sale, they'd be snatched up right quick

Back