Got Snow?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Our guests cancelled for this weekend due to the snow, even though our roads are fine. But where they live they got ICE on top of the snow and lost power.
I had to laugh when I saw this "8 feet of snow" as a guest last month told me twice how they NEVER GET SNOW IN CAL. Yeah you can guess which part of CALF she is referring to, "THE ONLY PART OF CA THAT EXISTS IN HER MIND" even tho, oddly enough I also lived in Julian CALF which are the mountains for "THAT ONLY PART OF CA THAT EXISTS" and had tons and tons of snow every year.
I mentioned to her "The Donner party" and "the highest mountain peak in the continental US" all that and she just stared back at me.
Think we've had a lot of snow? Sierra Mtns of Calf expect up to 8 feet of snow over the weekend! http://fb.me/wD5z3rEahttp://fb.me/wD5z3rEa

Oh ICE is much worse! Down go the power lines...This town SHUTS DOWN with ice, completely.

We've been getting the prettiest snows, 1-2 inches which requires very little clean up, and all on days with no guests here. So it's just pretty and no hassle.

We had just the slightest dusting here yesterday. Hardly noticable. However, when the guests got here (5 hours late!!), the man was walking very slowly, carrying too much stuff AND a cane besides (not elderly). I found out this morning that he was in a bad motorcycle accident. So, I sent DH out last night to completely salt/sand everything!!
Also found out this morning that the man does EVERYTHING slowly!! In fact, so slowly that it's now almost 10am and I'm still waiting for him to come in for breakfast. Lady was already in, ate her breakfast and is now upstairs getting a massage! I can understand people who move a bit slower than others, but really!!?? At this point, most of breakfast is not salvagable. I'll have to start all over if he decides that he wants to eat...whenever that might be!
wow.gif

We had just the slightest dusting here yesterday. Hardly noticable. However, when the guests got here (5 hours late!!), the man was walking very slowly, carrying too much stuff AND a cane besides (not elderly). I found out this morning that he was in a bad motorcycle accident. So, I sent DH out last night to completely salt/sand everything!!
Also found out this morning that the man does EVERYTHING slowly!! In fact, so slowly that it's now almost 10am and I'm still waiting for him to come in for breakfast. Lady was already in, ate her breakfast and is now upstairs getting a massage! I can understand people who move a bit slower than others, but really!!?? At this point, most of breakfast is not salvagable. I'll have to start all over if he decides that he wants to eat...whenever that might be!
wow.gif
Sorry, that is rough. As innkeepers we are taskmasters (I am!) or nothing would ever get done around here, multitasking, slam bam thank you ma'am. It's difficult when one is soooooooo slowwwwwwwwww.... HANG IN THERE!

we don't have snow but do have ice which in some ways is worce..
we don't have snow but do have ice which in some ways is worce.
Not in some ways - in all ways, ice is worse. It downs power lines, brings trees down, and there is NO control on ice unless you have spikes. 4-wheel drive is just as useluss.
Last December we had so much snow that it was easier to walk to Chapel duty than to clean off the car and drive (it is only about 5 or 6 blocks). walked in the street because it was plowed although it was still snowing. I am rolling along at my normal pace when about a block from the Chapel I slid a bit. It was then that I realized that UNDER that snow was a sheet of ice! I baby-stepped home.
We know how to deal with snow here but they will close schools if we get 3 or 4 inches. Not because the roads are impassable, but because of all the consolidations, the places the school buses have to go (and worse turn around) are not safe. And if there may be ice UNDER that snow.....

We are lucky we are only round the corner from our large supermarket so we just walk when the weather is bad.
I always say we look like sherpas in the snow with our shopping bags.

We've been getting the prettiest snows, 1-2 inches which requires very little clean up, and all on days with no guests here. So it's just pretty and no hassle..
Don Draper said:
We've been getting the prettiest snows, 1-2 inches which requires very little clean up, and all on days with no guests here. So it's just pretty and no hassle.
Sounds like the perfect snowfall to me!

Still a bit here but it is worce in the south (usually we get it worce than them) the southerners arn't as used to it as we are so they tend to panic a bit but it is mainly a case of being as sensible as possible ie not driving more than you need to and not long distances and so on. We have the biggest problem with people just being stupid ie driving too fast, thinking they can drive anywhere cos they have a 4 by 4 (and can't) people just go stupid.

Still a bit here but it is worce in the south (usually we get it worce than them) the southerners arn't as used to it as we are so they tend to panic a bit but it is mainly a case of being as sensible as possible ie not driving more than you need to and not long distances and so on. We have the biggest problem with people just being stupid ie driving too fast, thinking they can drive anywhere cos they have a 4 by 4 (and can't) people just go stupid..
We have the biggest problem with people just being stupid ie driving too fast, thinking they can drive anywhere cos they have a 4 by 4 (and can't) people just go stupid.
It is the same everywhere. We do get snow here - sometimes heavy snow - but the girst snow of the year you would think they never saw it before. They forget.
Love you guys in Canada, but you may take your weather back any time now! I am accustomed (now) to winter lows in the teens and twenties, not as daytime temps. We were so used to frigid that we spent our first winter here in Spring/Fall jackets. The second winter we were in winter coats again. Amazing how fast one can acclimate!

Back