Got yellow whites?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
I am at a place here in MI that is using something I've never heard of, but thought I'd share as it may be something someone is interested in. It is called Mrs. Stewarts Liquid Bluing. It evidently works better than clorox and doesn't make things yellow over time. And if something is yellow you might be surprised at the results! It is a concentrate and this owner just mixes it with her regular liquid detergent for whites. If you have heard of it, please share what works for you as I am still in the learning process.

I used it a few years ago when I lived with city water that had a lot of iron and minerals in it . Yes it kept my whites white. I used it to soak our white or cream colour l aprons. It is sold over here too.

Isn't that what they do to old ladies' hair to make it look better?
Blueing has been in use for a long time.

Isn't that what they do to old ladies' hair to make it look better?
Blueing has been in use for a long time..
Ahhh...thus the name "blue haired ladies". But I had never heard of it for laundry b4. I was born in the basement and never brought up.

Your children can also use it to make a "crystal garden." Directions are on the bottle. Stuff's awesome.
Tom

Essentially, the bluing counteracts the yellowing. You still use bleach with it. There is also a product called Tintex Whitex that does the same thing. Of course, this could be only available in Canada. I have two boxes on my desk.
whitex.jpg

Just used it on my son's turkey feathers to brighten them up for show at the county fair this week. It's EASY to over-use it, though. Be cautious with it. One or two drops per GALLON of water.... wait, that's for poultry feathers. Might be a different ratio for laundry ;)

Just used it on my son's turkey feathers to brighten them up for show at the county fair this week. It's EASY to over-use it, though. Be cautious with it. One or two drops per GALLON of water.... wait, that's for poultry feathers. Might be a different ratio for laundry ;).
Penelope said:
Just used it on my son's turkey feathers to brighten them up for show at the county fair this week. It's EASY to over-use it, though. Be cautious with it. One or two drops per GALLON of water.... wait, that's for poultry feathers. Might be a different ratio for laundry ;)
Your son is a turkey? Is his name "jake?"
Wait, so that means your husband is named "tom"

[tr]

[/td]
What did the mother turkey say to her disobedient children?
If your father could see you now, he'd turn over in his gravy!
[/td]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

Just used it on my son's turkey feathers to brighten them up for show at the county fair this week. It's EASY to over-use it, though. Be cautious with it. One or two drops per GALLON of water.... wait, that's for poultry feathers. Might be a different ratio for laundry ;).
Penelope said:

[tr]

[/td]
[/td]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:

[tr]

[/td]
[/td]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
You make me laugh! :)

Penelope said:

[tr]

[/td]
[/td]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:

[tr]

[/td]
[/td]
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
And her name is Pen, the hen

Your children can also use it to make a "crystal garden." Directions are on the bottle. Stuff's awesome.
Tom.
It's a wonderful old fashioned product and although it seems very counter intuitive it works - but YES - use it in moderation.
p.s. - the crystal garden thing is something else I grew up with as a kid - very cool.

That bluing product is ages old. I hadn't thought of it until now. When I was a kid and had show horses, I uses to wash the white parts of the legs with that and they came out sparkling white. It's good stuff!

Back