Gotta laugh or else I'll cry (or scream and pull my hair out)!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened)..
I wold be eternally grateful to you for telling me about the Parmesan problem. I put cheddar, romano, and parmesan in my egg bake - BUT it is no problem to leave it out if told about the problem.
DH tells everyone ad nauseum about HIS diet - and the SOB sticks to it strictly (other than taking a taste of MY food which he has commented about being so full of grease or sugar or whatever he does not approve of as he tries to live forever!).

It's just killing me that two of the people who all of a sudden have this huge "cannot eat" list have stayed here 8 times in the past 4 years!! I flat out told her "You need to give me a list right now of what you can't eat, I don't want to keep wasting so much food".
The one vegetarian actually pulled me aside and APOLOGIZED for causing me extra work because she saw how yesterday when I brought she and her hubs the side of scrambled eggs instead of bacon that then the whole table wanted them...I just laughed, and told her YOU are no problem, thanks for letting me know in advance!
At the end of the day I'm glad scrambled eggs solved all the problems 'cause it's not a big deal, but geez Louise people, help me out a little bit!.
Instead of asking what they CAN'T eat, have them tell you what they CAN eat. The list will be shorter! :) Good grief......

and again, we are not their dietetions, nor their mommies. as said, diabetes is real, and kills...but the number of them who walk over and grab a coca cola ....nuff said, bye off to make carne asade for dinner..
Went to Texas and all dh got was a tee shirt from a TX bbq restaurant with the restaurant name on the front & on the back it says in big yellow letters, "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!". Even though he eats very healthy as a rule, he thought it was pretty funny. Viva carne asade! ;-)

Great. The Today Show just reported that the latest craze in Hollywood and such is Gluten Free. And mentioned Chelsey's wedding cake was gluten free. Here we go....lucky I have a local Hungarian Baker at the farmer's market that does FAB gluten free coffee cakes and muffins.
I did find a gluten free pancake recipe to adjust my pancakes. Are gluten frees okay to eat macadamia nuts? It's just the wheats and flours, right?
RIki

Great. The Today Show just reported that the latest craze in Hollywood and such is Gluten Free. And mentioned Chelsey's wedding cake was gluten free. Here we go....lucky I have a local Hungarian Baker at the farmer's market that does FAB gluten free coffee cakes and muffins.
I did find a gluten free pancake recipe to adjust my pancakes. Are gluten frees okay to eat macadamia nuts? It's just the wheats and flours, right?
RIki.
I keep Pamela's gluten-free baking mix in my pantry. It can be used for muffins, waffles, pancakes and in my Cheesy Potato Pie recipe without any problems and is fine to be served to all guests, not just the gluten-free ones. Our local division of Giant grocery stores sells it, but if you can't find it around you, Amazon.com also carries it.

I haven't had any luck with any of the gluten free bake mixes except the Duncan Hines lemon cupcakes which are really good. Our grocery store carries frozen gluten free blueberry muffins that have gone over well, I'd much rather keep them on hand than try to bake something for the whole house that might go awry (as happened with my infamous gluten free brownie fiasco)!

OK, today I almost lost it in the dining room. Am serving a table of four (not traveling together) and one of the 4 asks if she can just have toast. Not a big deal. Then her husband says, 'And I'll have scrambled eggs with my toast.'
No, eggs were not on the agenda for today so they both ate their toast in silence and walked off. And they are REPEATS. They know how we handle breakfast.

OK, today I almost lost it in the dining room. Am serving a table of four (not traveling together) and one of the 4 asks if she can just have toast. Not a big deal. Then her husband says, 'And I'll have scrambled eggs with my toast.'
No, eggs were not on the agenda for today so they both ate their toast in silence and walked off. And they are REPEATS. They know how we handle breakfast..
Ever feel like saying "We don't have any bread. Or eggs. Cereal? Yes, but no milk." Gawd! People!

one morning as I was serving the entree, a guest requested toast instead of the muffins that was served. When I told we didn't have that he looked at me like I was crazy (that's besides the point). We rarely use sliced bread and when we do, it goes bad before we can finish the loaf. Guess we will be getting some to keep in the freezer.

"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?

one morning as I was serving the entree, a guest requested toast instead of the muffins that was served. When I told we didn't have that he looked at me like I was crazy (that's besides the point). We rarely use sliced bread and when we do, it goes bad before we can finish the loaf. Guess we will be getting some to keep in the freezer..
We've had this happen too. We are not big toast or sandwich eaters so rarely have sliced loaves of bread here. We buy fresh loaves of unsliced Italian or French bread as needed for our entrees, but sometimes it is tough to come up with toast. So we've taken to keeping a loaf frozen for the occasional toast request. Then they have to wait for us to defrost it and toast it, it takes forever. But they want it so they'll wait!

No, eggs were not on the agenda for today so they both ate their toast in silence and walked off. And they are REPEATS. They know how we handle breakfast..
Sorry to have passed on my PITA repeater karma to you Mort...but that is so rude for the guy to say "I'll have scrambled eggs"...um, did anyone offer you scrambled eggs? Does this look like a diner? Grrrr.....
DH did make me laugh out loud today, he pulled a serving dish of butter out to soften even though we were not serving anything that would require butter today...I asked why he did it and he said "Just in case anyone decides to go rogue today during breakfast...." Luckily no one went rogue, they all ate what they were served happily...phew!

When the loaves of English muffin bread are put on the bread plates, no one has EVER asked for toast!
I make all the bread here and because it is usually for DH used to be whole wheat when that was the dietician designated "best bread" but now, due to a program on PBS, rye bread is the bread of choice. Since I rarely eat bread it is made (other thn his) only when I need French bread for dinners or for sandwiches for packed lunches for guest packages. I would be hard-put to come up with toast.

"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?.
We serve toast every other day with the eggs. But we don't ever have muffins or bagels. Unless it's a group and we have the buffet set up.

Sorry to have passed on my PITA repeater karma to you Mort...but that is so rude for the guy to say "I'll have scrambled eggs"...um, did anyone offer you scrambled eggs? Does this look like a diner? Grrrr.....
DH did make me laugh out loud today, he pulled a serving dish of butter out to soften even though we were not serving anything that would require butter today...I asked why he did it and he said "Just in case anyone decides to go rogue today during breakfast...." Luckily no one went rogue, they all ate what they were served happily...phew!
Rup, "go rogue".....that's a great expression. Gotta have a sense of humor! I'll never forget when I had a full house of renowned international musicians. Had a plan for breakfast and they all went rogue on me. "I'll just have tea and fruit" "I'll just have wheat toast with jam and coffee". Luckily, I could punt. Then, they sat at the dining room table and told travel and hotel horror stories. That's a confidance booster right there! By the last couple of days of their stay, they were eating breakfast. :) Best compliment I ever had....unless their stay turned into horror stories elsewhere? haha...

Last weekend I had a "GPS" stay and as I was bringing in the plate of sausages into the dining room, I lost control of the plate and everything hit the deck! I said, "I guess you don't want sauage this morning."

Last weekend I had a "GPS" stay and as I was bringing in the plate of sausages into the dining room, I lost control of the plate and everything hit the deck! I said, "I guess you don't want sauage this morning.".
gillumhouse said:
Last weekend I had a "GPS" stay and as I was bringing in the plate of sausages into the dining room, I lost control of the plate and everything hit the deck! I said, "I guess you don't want sauage this morning."
Whatever happened to the "3 second" rule?

Last weekend I had a "GPS" stay and as I was bringing in the plate of sausages into the dining room, I lost control of the plate and everything hit the deck! I said, "I guess you don't want sauage this morning.".
gillumhouse said:
They were sitting there!
A couple weeks ago as I was serving the English muffin bread, it went flying to the carpet and the lady at the table said "5 second rule!"

I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened)..
Absolutely no one minds when the issue is 'real'. It is not for me to determine what is 'real' but in our case the past few weeks, it has been mostly 'when I feel like it' dietary issues. Like, 'I can't have gluen, but just give me one slice of french toast.' My daughter doubles over in pain and has to lie down if she eats 'bread'. That's a 'real' issue.
The vegan who doesn't get catered to who 'cheats'. Vegan is a choice, not 'real'.
There is a 'no eggs' coming next week. Can't eat them? Doesn't like the looks of them? Which? My dad can't eat eggs. He gets violently sick. That's an issue.
Morticia said:
Absolutely no one minds when the issue is 'real'.
Glad to hear that ;)
It's worried me since then....

gillumhouse said:
They were sitting there!
A couple weeks ago as I was serving the English muffin bread, it went flying to the carpet and the lady at the table said "5 second rule!"
gillumhouse said:
They were sitting there!
You must have slower germs.

Back