Gotta laugh or else I'll cry (or scream and pull my hair out)!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that friends of this morning's egg guest just arrived and said they didn't care what we were makng everything is wonderful here. And their 10 yo kid ran in and said, 'We're back!' in her native language. She keeps trying to get me to speak it to her each time they come. Luckily for me her English gets better every year!

Interesting that friends of this morning's egg guest just arrived and said they didn't care what we were makng everything is wonderful here. And their 10 yo kid ran in and said, 'We're back!' in her native language. She keeps trying to get me to speak it to her each time they come. Luckily for me her English gets better every year!.
Maybe they will straighten out the Egg man!

I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened)..
Absolutely no one minds when the issue is 'real'. It is not for me to determine what is 'real' but in our case the past few weeks, it has been mostly 'when I feel like it' dietary issues. Like, 'I can't have gluen, but just give me one slice of french toast.' My daughter doubles over in pain and has to lie down if she eats 'bread'. That's a 'real' issue.
The vegan who doesn't get catered to who 'cheats'. Vegan is a choice, not 'real'.
There is a 'no eggs' coming next week. Can't eat them? Doesn't like the looks of them? Which? My dad can't eat eggs. He gets violently sick. That's an issue.
Our neighbor's son who is temporarily living with them which is 29 years old has a severe reaction to eggs.. Just touching a spoon that hasn't been cleaned that touched egg will give him huge boils all over. They gave us a box of pasta because on the ingredients it says "egg". They said it looked like the box, same colors and everything, of what they normally buy but got home and discovered it wasn't. Very serious stuff if they are allergic to something.
Maybe a good thing to ask, rather than special diets.. would be "Allergies?, what?".
Jon

Nothing to do with brekkie but I am ready for August to be done. One email at 3:15 yesterday canceling last night. One phone call at 10 PM saying they didn't know we took dogs and they're allergic. Another cancellation. There have been a couple of others and I'm just done with listening to it all.

Nothing to do with brekkie but I am ready for August to be done. One email at 3:15 yesterday canceling last night. One phone call at 10 PM saying they didn't know we took dogs and they're allergic. Another cancellation. There have been a couple of others and I'm just done with listening to it all..
I hear you. I don't like to wish the summer away, but the type of guests we get changes dramatically after Labor Day, to a demographic I *mostly* like better. Here's hoping!

I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened)..
Absolutely no one minds when the issue is 'real'. It is not for me to determine what is 'real' but in our case the past few weeks, it has been mostly 'when I feel like it' dietary issues. Like, 'I can't have gluen, but just give me one slice of french toast.' My daughter doubles over in pain and has to lie down if she eats 'bread'. That's a 'real' issue.
The vegan who doesn't get catered to who 'cheats'. Vegan is a choice, not 'real'.
There is a 'no eggs' coming next week. Can't eat them? Doesn't like the looks of them? Which? My dad can't eat eggs. He gets violently sick. That's an issue.
Our neighbor's son who is temporarily living with them which is 29 years old has a severe reaction to eggs.. Just touching a spoon that hasn't been cleaned that touched egg will give him huge boils all over. They gave us a box of pasta because on the ingredients it says "egg". They said it looked like the box, same colors and everything, of what they normally buy but got home and discovered it wasn't. Very serious stuff if they are allergic to something.
Maybe a good thing to ask, rather than special diets.. would be "Allergies?, what?".
Jon
jonedwste said:
Jon
We ask "Do either of you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions? Anything we shouldn't feed you while you're here?". And I swear, problems here at breakfast are non-existent.

We all ask about allergies first. We always try to nip it in the bud. We don't want to waste food, we don't want to make our guests unhappy. That is the main thing. Allergies. Then dietary restrictions, meaning Muslim, Jewish, 7th Day Adventist, Vegetarian...
Coming to this forum and reading frustrations from innkeepers is always a hard line. This forum is a place for innkeepers to let off steam. Please do not think this occurs near or with the guests. Just an fyi for anyone new here. We treat our guests with uttmost respect and courtesy even AS THEY HAND THE PLATE back to us and say "Oh no, I won't eat eggs!" and we have 15 other guests sitting there. :)

We all ask about allergies first. We always try to nip it in the bud. We don't want to waste food, we don't want to make our guests unhappy. That is the main thing. Allergies. Then dietary restrictions, meaning Muslim, Jewish, 7th Day Adventist, Vegetarian...
Coming to this forum and reading frustrations from innkeepers is always a hard line. This forum is a place for innkeepers to let off steam. Please do not think this occurs near or with the guests. Just an fyi for anyone new here. We treat our guests with uttmost respect and courtesy even AS THEY HAND THE PLATE back to us and say "Oh no, I won't eat eggs!" and we have 15 other guests sitting there. :)

One of these days one of is going to go off like the Jet Blue flight attendant.
"You won't eat eggs? Well F___You!" The only problem is that we don't have a chute to slide out of the breakfast room.

"You won't eat eggs? Well F___You!" The only problem is that we don't have a chute to slide out of the breakfast room..
Proud Texan said:
"You won't eat eggs? Well F___You!" The only problem is that we don't have a chute to slide out of the breakfast room.
Ha Ha! Instead, grab the guest's toast and OJ and head out to the porch.

Coming to this forum and reading frustrations from innkeepers is always a hard line. This forum is a place for innkeepers to let off steam. Please do not think this occurs near or with the guests. Just an fyi for anyone new here. We treat our guests with uttmost respect and courtesy even AS THEY HAND THE PLATE back to us and say "Oh no, I won't eat eggs!" and we have 15 other guests sitting there. :).
Other dietary restrictions are doctor indications that SOME people (the one I live with for example) actually follow. For salt, fat, or sugar to cross is lips is like pork to some religions. Only he thinks it will kill him (you have my permission to laugh considering he had a motorcycle accident at 24 that should have killed him plus medical situations that should have killed him and he just turned 70!). SOMETHING is going to kill him, perhaps ME!!!

"You won't eat eggs? Well F___You!" The only problem is that we don't have a chute to slide out of the breakfast room..
Proud Texan said:
That was great......
I did this to my mom this past spring.......I had cooked Sunday dinner....she was ranting and screaming.......I can't eat that, blah, blah, blah........
I took her plate.......threw the food in the garbage.......dish in the washer......took out a bowl, package of instand oatmeal a little water....in the microwave....................here, maybe you can eat this.

One day does your mother live in the Bay Area of CA? I had a guest like this last year, two couples. Nice as pie - the rest of the couple and couples. She had her 5 page list of what she couldn't eat and finally I asked what she could.
I served up this fruit filled yummy breakfast and put her agreed to oatmeal in front of her. She looked around at the other plates and said, and I repeat, "Where are MY blueberries?" The table guests covered their mouths as to NOT laugh.
So I just got a gluten free booking for tomorrow night. The booking is from Canada, the name is Nordic, it says One person. It has ONE name on the booking, A different name on the cc details and yet a THIRD DIFFERENT name on the email address. All with the same last name.
I will wait til they are here. Looking at sail boats, it said. I will work it out then. At least one person it gluten free. :) My system defaults to TWO guests so they have to specify ONE.

Jon
jonedwste said:
Jon
We ask "Do either of you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions? Anything we shouldn't feed you while you're here?". And I swear, problems here at breakfast are non-existent.
This is exactly how we phrase it as well, and typically no problemo. But this week, I don't know...maybe it's because tomorrow is Friday the 13th!

lol no.......not from Ca....
I guess it's more about advanced age.......and whether her teeth are in her mouth.

Jon
jonedwste said:
Jon
This is exactly how we phrase it as well, and typically no problemo. But this week, I don't know...maybe it's because tomorrow is Friday the 13th!
Rupert said:
Gomez told me to write this down. We are starting tomorrow with, 'Do you have any food allergies? Any restrictions on eating meat?' And that is it. That should cover vegetarians, religious restrictions on pork and shellfish and people who will die if we feed them peanuts. We have been too open-ended with the questions. Too nice as some would say.
At least no one asked me for wilted spinach for breakfast like a friend just emailed about!

"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?.
We serve toast every other day with the eggs. But we don't ever have muffins or bagels. Unless it's a group and we have the buffet set up.
See, I would be the one that would say, "Please hold the toast!" haha.....

"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?.
We serve toast every other day with the eggs. But we don't ever have muffins or bagels. Unless it's a group and we have the buffet set up.
Samster said:
I don't even ask about the toast anymore. Once we get the whole 'allergy/ meat restrictions' query in place, I won't ask about meat in the morning, either. If you didn't tell me when you booked, tough toenails.

Samster said:
I don't even ask about the toast anymore. Once we get the whole 'allergy/ meat restrictions' query in place, I won't ask about meat in the morning, either. If you didn't tell me when you booked, tough toenails.
I just don't care for toast as a rule, unless eating over easy eggs....to sop up the yolk. Or....if there is some absolutely fantastic homemade local preserves or jam that's offered. Otherwise, I'd rather save the carbs for something else. ;-) Like gelato.... hee hee....

Samster said:
I just don't care for toast as a rule, unless eating over easy eggs....to sop up the yolk. Or....if there is some absolutely fantastic homemade local preserves or jam that's offered. Otherwise, I'd rather save the carbs for something else. ;-) Like gelato.... hee hee....
A fair amount comes back. Odd, because I do ask if they'd like jam to go with the toast! That's when to mention they don't want the toast, but most say, 'Oh, yes!' or, 'No thanks, butter is enough for me,' and then the toast comes back. Whole wheat always, we don't mess around with different kinds of toast. And if anyone asks about toast it's always to make sure it is whole wheat.
Maybe next year we'll just do a menu. Gomez is getting really good at hash slinging, so it might work out.

Back