Gotta laugh or else I'll cry (or scream and pull my hair out)!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
We are full just about to capacity this week with 14-18 people for brekky every day. We have every imaginable combination of special dietary needs...vegetarian, gluten free, lactose intolerant, and diabetic. I sat down Sunday and made a schedule that actually accommodated ALL of these needs with one main dish and a few small subs (like scrambled eggs instead of bacon on the side). Wouldn't you know it, ALL the people who claimed to have NO special needs when they booked have seen the "special" things the others are getting and are requesting the same. They are ALL staying at least 3 nights....argh!!!
I just threw out an entire veggie/egg/cheese casserole because people didn't tell me they couldn't have onions or peppers. I hate doing that, but it's full of cheese so I don't want to eat it myself.
At LEAST they were all happy with scrambled eggs...

pita.gif

Hey, read over my week and then make them whatever you feel like making because they're eating whatever they damn well please when they're out all day.

It's just killing me that two of the people who all of a sudden have this huge "cannot eat" list have stayed here 8 times in the past 4 years!! I flat out told her "You need to give me a list right now of what you can't eat, I don't want to keep wasting so much food".
The one vegetarian actually pulled me aside and APOLOGIZED for causing me extra work because she saw how yesterday when I brought she and her hubs the side of scrambled eggs instead of bacon that then the whole table wanted them...I just laughed, and told her YOU are no problem, thanks for letting me know in advance!
At the end of the day I'm glad scrambled eggs solved all the problems 'cause it's not a big deal, but geez Louise people, help me out a little bit!

It's just killing me that two of the people who all of a sudden have this huge "cannot eat" list have stayed here 8 times in the past 4 years!! I flat out told her "You need to give me a list right now of what you can't eat, I don't want to keep wasting so much food".
The one vegetarian actually pulled me aside and APOLOGIZED for causing me extra work because she saw how yesterday when I brought she and her hubs the side of scrambled eggs instead of bacon that then the whole table wanted them...I just laughed, and told her YOU are no problem, thanks for letting me know in advance!
At the end of the day I'm glad scrambled eggs solved all the problems 'cause it's not a big deal, but geez Louise people, help me out a little bit!.
What part of "I am not a restaurant" do you not understand??? So are they all staying longer? I'd say serve them scrambled eggs every day. GRRRR
pita.gif

For people with a ton of whatevers we email them the menu and you pick off that what you can have. We had one chap who went on about how his wife needed Gluten free blah blah so we went all over and bought it specially and when she came she said "oh you needent of bothered I could eat rice crispies. We have these in all the time and would have cost us nothing! You pick from what we have in and that is it.

I have decided I am not buying specialty food items - as in gluten free this or that - stuff you just would not serve to others. Turkey sausage, egg substitue - no problem I serve them to others or to myself...
Again - it is an All about MeMeMeMe world.
Since you do have so many that are claiming the special needs, and since you have so many guests each morning - here is an option:
Give them a menu choice the night before and tell them to provide their choice to you the night before: Your very detailed description of your specicalty dish or plain scrambled plate Those that do not provide their choice get.....
We complain about this but in reality, this is one of the reasons some stay with us... Our desire to provide something they get very little of these days - service, and with (usually) a smile. There is one gentleman that stays here 1-2 times a year. He and his wife have been to Dr.s, nutritionists, etc. and finally decided to keep a daily log. They have learned what keeps his body happy - very plain, simple stuff. He can not eat out at all. This last visit they were going to a reception, but he had to eat before they left because he could not eat the food. - He eats to stay alive, basically... When they travel, they stay at B&B's for this reason... While it does bring stress to us, for those with severe chronic problems we may be their haven when they must be away.

I will never, never, never give options. It has led to nothing but frustration here...they pick one thing the night before then change their mind come breakfast time. We operate out of the world's tiniest kitchen here, so having things prepared in advance is critical for me being able to serve breakfast hot and fresh. It is all over our website that breakfast is strictly cook's choice and you'd BETTER let us know ahead of time if you have special needs! In a nice way, of course.
It really just kind of cracked me up that all these people did go out of their way to let me know their special needs, and then the repeat guests who have always been easy as pie end up being the REAL special needs.
I'm over it, the housekeepers wanted the casserole so at least it didn't go to waste. I will be happy when Friday comes and they all PAY AND GO AWAY!!!!!

I have decided I am not buying specialty food items - as in gluten free this or that - stuff you just would not serve to others. Turkey sausage, egg substitue - no problem I serve them to others or to myself...
Since you do have so many that are claiming the special needs, and since you have so many guests each morning - here is an option:
Give them a menu choice the night before and tell them to provide their choice to you the night before: Your very detailed description of your specicalty dish or plain scrambled plate Those that do not provide their choice get.....
We complain about this but in reality, this is one of the reasons some stay with us... Our desire to provide something they get very little of these days - service, and with (usually) a smile. There is one gentleman that stays here 1-2 times a year. He and his wife have been to Dr.s, nutritionists, etc. and finally decided to keep a daily log. They have learned what keeps his body happy - very plain, simple stuff. He can not eat out at all. This last visit they were going to a reception, but he had to eat before they left because he could not eat the food. - He eats to stay alive, basically... When they travel, they stay at B&B's for this reason... While it does bring stress to us, for those with severe chronic problems we may be their haven when they must be away..
We have just had a family with two gluten free in it they brought their own bread and ordered easily from the menu. They were also pleased and surprised to find we have two restaurants within 5 mins walk that provide a special gluten free menu so made their lives easy. I think though as we cook everything separately and to order it makes it easier than other places it depends but anyone with special needs has to be prepared to compromise. We have quite a lot of muslims stay with us which means Hallal diets (not sure of the spelling) but it is a bit more tricky. I think cosha (also not sure of spelling but strick Jewish) has to be the hardest. My sisters friends even bring their own paper plates and plactic cuttlery but at least they are organised. I wouldn't go that far myself. (to cater for the requirements I mean)

We complain about this but in reality, this is one of the reasons some stay with us... Our desire to provide something they get very little of these days - service, and with (usually) a smile. There is one gentleman that stays here 1-2 times a year. He and his wife have been to Dr.s, nutritionists, etc. and finally decided to keep a daily log. They have learned what keeps his body happy - very plain, simple stuff. He can not eat out at all. This last visit they were going to a reception, but he had to eat before they left because he could not eat the food. - He eats to stay alive, basically... When they travel, they stay at B&B's for this reason... While it does bring stress to us, for those with severe chronic problems we may be their haven when they must be away..
We have just had a family with two gluten free in it they brought their own bread and ordered easily from the menu. They were also pleased and surprised to find we have two restaurants within 5 mins walk that provide a special gluten free menu so made their lives easy. I think though as we cook everything separately and to order it makes it easier than other places it depends but anyone with special needs has to be prepared to compromise. We have quite a lot of muslims stay with us which means Hallal diets (not sure of the spelling) but it is a bit more tricky. I think cosha (also not sure of spelling but strick Jewish) has to be the hardest. My sisters friends even bring their own paper plates and plactic cuttlery but at least they are organised. I wouldn't go that far myself. (to cater for the requirements I mean)
Kosher requires all different utensils, bowls, no mixing of dairy and meat and a slew of things I would not even begin to want to try to do.

Kosher requires all different utensils, bowls, no mixing of dairy and meat and a slew of things I would not even begin to want to try to do.
I know what a nightmare they are ok with my sister cos she is a vegan so no meat ever touches her stuff so there is no mixing.

my friends daughter was recently diagnosed with an eating disorder..........don't recall the name of the condition..apparently it is a sever condition....there is a federal tax credit for the need to purchase specialized foods for her.
When they cook......they will cook hers first.....seperate BBQ grill for her as well.
Soon she will be going away to college.....college provided for her special dormatory accomodations that gives her a private kitchen....they will also provide a certain amount of food tailored to her condition as part of the scholarship / meal program.
Some of these conditions are very real
But, I hear ya..........the ones who at home chose a more healthy and restricted diet..........and make it sound like some life or death problem.....but when on vacation.........what diet?

I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened).

Rupes, ahhhh Rupes, you did it didn't you? You were being nice. See how it is, being nice only works if there are one or two couples, never full-house-nice. That should be a new vocab term for the innkeeping dictionary.
I sent our guests off with my own personal beach towels to go jet skiing today, this works for one couple, whole house nice would mean they either don't come back at all...or they come back soiled with oil and dirt.
Full House Nice: when you bend over backwards or break the rules to accommodate your guests desires and it all comes back to bite you!

OOH! Another vocab term from Rupes herself, re giving guests options...
OPTIONS: easy as pie end up being the REAL special needs.

If you have gone to the trouble of preparing what is supposed to be a complimentary breakfast AND the guest does not inform you of dietary requirements after being asked to do so, you are in no way obligated to feed the S.O.B.
WE ARE NOT (at least most of us) A RESTAURANT!

Rupes, ahhhh Rupes, you did it didn't you? You were being nice. See how it is, being nice only works if there are one or two couples, never full-house-nice. That should be a new vocab term for the innkeeping dictionary.
I sent our guests off with my own personal beach towels to go jet skiing today, this works for one couple, whole house nice would mean they either don't come back at all...or they come back soiled with oil and dirt.
Full House Nice: when you bend over backwards or break the rules to accommodate your guests desires and it all comes back to bite you!.
Oh, I love this and it is so TRUE in so many situations!! Gotta watch being "full house nice"!!!!!
Thanks Joey, made my day.

If in doubt, don't eat it. The law to live by if you have allergies or sensitivities or reactions to certain foods or food groups.
Hey you reminded me... I will never forget a special official from Israel visiting a friend. She had a whole diplomatic entourage from the USA and Israel and I said to her "Dang, what will you serve 'him'?" She said she already had it all worked out, she was serving him anything with NATHAN's on the label. I said "You are serving that man a hot dog!?" It still is a funny story, everyone ate hotdogs and pickles that evening.
(Later she told me she ASKED and he said to just do that and make it easy for her)
Nathan's Kosher Meats from the Bronx, you know the famous Nathan's NY Hot Dogs.
Kosher info here
McDo_Kosher.jpg

I have a severe reaction to parmesan cheese. Migraine trigger in the worst way. No, I am not allergic. No, it won't kill me. No, I don't make a big fuss over it.
I had made reesrvations to stay at an inn and when asked if there were any special dietary restrictions, I made a small mention of it being an issue for me. I was very glad I did mention it becuase it's usually put in their house-speciatly egg dish. I wouldn't've known it was in there and spent the rest of my vacation either curled up in a dark room, fetal position, or worst case scenario, a trip to the ER (which has happened)..
Absolutely no one minds when the issue is 'real'. It is not for me to determine what is 'real' but in our case the past few weeks, it has been mostly 'when I feel like it' dietary issues. Like, 'I can't have gluen, but just give me one slice of french toast.' My daughter doubles over in pain and has to lie down if she eats 'bread'. That's a 'real' issue.
The vegan who doesn't get catered to who 'cheats'. Vegan is a choice, not 'real'.
There is a 'no eggs' coming next week. Can't eat them? Doesn't like the looks of them? Which? My dad can't eat eggs. He gets violently sick. That's an issue.

and again, we are not their dietetions, nor their mommies. as said, diabetes is real, and kills...but the number of them who walk over and grab a coca cola ....nuff said, bye off to make carne asade for dinner.

Back