Gotta laugh or else I'll cry (or scream and pull my hair out)!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?.
We serve toast every other day with the eggs. But we don't ever have muffins or bagels. Unless it's a group and we have the buffet set up.
See, I would be the one that would say, "Please hold the toast!" haha.....
Samster said:
I don't even ask about the toast anymore. Once we get the whole 'allergy/ meat restrictions' query in place, I won't ask about meat in the morning, either. If you didn't tell me when you booked, tough toenails.
I just don't care for toast as a rule, unless eating over easy eggs....to sop up the yolk. Or....if there is some absolutely fantastic homemade local preserves or jam that's offered. Otherwise, I'd rather save the carbs for something else. ;-) Like gelato.... hee hee....
A fair amount comes back. Odd, because I do ask if they'd like jam to go with the toast! That's when to mention they don't want the toast, but most say, 'Oh, yes!' or, 'No thanks, butter is enough for me,' and then the toast comes back. Whole wheat always, we don't mess around with different kinds of toast. And if anyone asks about toast it's always to make sure it is whole wheat.
Maybe next year we'll just do a menu. Gomez is getting really good at hash slinging, so it might work out.
We have just stopped serving toast with the cheesy potato pie (now dubbed the southwest potato strata). I figure the potatoes are enough carbs. I've been putting a little green salad (farmer's market greens, my friend's cuke and tomato) on the side with a few drops of pomegrante vinaigrette. I still serve toast with omelets, though. We have sourdough bread and a cheddar bread in the freezer from our local famous-for-its-donuts bakery.

"I will just have toast" doesn't fly here either. We don't have JUST TOAST. We never have toast. You want a warmed tortilla or a bagel? HUH BUD DO YA!?.
We serve toast every other day with the eggs. But we don't ever have muffins or bagels. Unless it's a group and we have the buffet set up.
Samster said:
I don't even ask about the toast anymore. Once we get the whole 'allergy/ meat restrictions' query in place, I won't ask about meat in the morning, either. If you didn't tell me when you booked, tough toenails.
I just don't care for toast as a rule, unless eating over easy eggs....to sop up the yolk. Or....if there is some absolutely fantastic homemade local preserves or jam that's offered. Otherwise, I'd rather save the carbs for something else. ;-) Like gelato.... hee hee....
A fair amount comes back. Odd, because I do ask if they'd like jam to go with the toast! That's when to mention they don't want the toast, but most say, 'Oh, yes!' or, 'No thanks, butter is enough for me,' and then the toast comes back. Whole wheat always, we don't mess around with different kinds of toast. And if anyone asks about toast it's always to make sure it is whole wheat.
Maybe next year we'll just do a menu. Gomez is getting really good at hash slinging, so it might work out.
We have just stopped serving toast with the cheesy potato pie (now dubbed the southwest potato strata). I figure the potatoes are enough carbs. I've been putting a little green salad (farmer's market greens, my friend's cuke and tomato) on the side with a few drops of pomegrante vinaigrette. I still serve toast with omelets, though. We have sourdough bread and a cheddar bread in the freezer from our local famous-for-its-donuts bakery.
Cheddar bread. Yum.

Samster said:
Cheddar bread. Yum.
It is really good. You need to try it sometime...

Samster said:
Cheddar bread. Yum.
muirford said:
Is there a recipe?

Samster said:
Cheddar bread. Yum.
muirford said:
Is there a recipe?
I would have to pry it out of the hands of the Mennonite ladies who bake it. I really meant that you should visit so you can have some. Plus donuts.

Samster said:
Cheddar bread. Yum.
muirford said:
Is there a recipe?
I would have to pry it out of the hands of the Mennonite ladies who bake it. I really meant that you should visit so you can have some. Plus donuts.
Yeah, I was HOPING that's what you meant! Didn't want to be pushy. Hopefully next year sometime.

I've been there, I think.... came back home with wonderful cheese bread and cinnamon raisin swirl bread. Our guests (and the innkeepers) really liked it!

Has some great Mennonite ladies that bake really good here too!
thumbs_up.gif

I am all for a donut and cheese bread round up at Muirfords.
We DO need that Slumber Party y'all! As soon as her season drops off...we will have to plan it! We had a great time last year going to a B&B in PA and meeting an innmate there. Going out to eat together, even a movie, it was fun stuff!

Or y'all could meet here and Muirford can bring the do-nots. :) We have 6 rooms and 2 with sofa beds...pack em in, innkeeper meetup slumber party! What was that promotion "Sleep Around In Virginia" Or something a couple years ago.

Ugh...got a phone call from a lady complaining that she was unable to make a one night Saturday reservation online, although rooms were showing open. I explained our two night policy and she went on to explain that she is the wife of a pastor preaching locally that Sunday, and just needed one night. I relented and offered our shared bath room at the full $110 rate for that one night, since the room is already booked through the night before. I told her to make the reservation via our website when she was ready, and I would make sure she was able to.
Two minutes later, I get a reservation through bb.com for her that night...costing me a 25% commission. So, not only did I make an exception for the one night, but now I lose out on the rate AND she sent a seperate email requesting an early "Full Breakfast". Uh uh. Early brekkie here is cream cheese muffins, yogurt and a fruit bowl. Like it or lump it....guess you should have mentioned that on the phone, babe.

Ugh...got a phone call from a lady complaining that she was unable to make a one night Saturday reservation online, although rooms were showing open. I explained our two night policy and she went on to explain that she is the wife of a pastor preaching locally that Sunday, and just needed one night. I relented and offered our shared bath room at the full $110 rate for that one night, since the room is already booked through the night before. I told her to make the reservation via our website when she was ready, and I would make sure she was able to.
Two minutes later, I get a reservation through bb.com for her that night...costing me a 25% commission. So, not only did I make an exception for the one night, but now I lose out on the rate AND she sent a seperate email requesting an early "Full Breakfast". Uh uh. Early brekkie here is cream cheese muffins, yogurt and a fruit bowl. Like it or lump it....guess you should have mentioned that on the phone, babe..
Hmmm maybe you should have informed her that she needed to use YOUR site for reservation. They charge you a 25% commission????? Yikes!!! How did I miss that along the way. That is ridiculous. She'll probably complain about sharing the bathroom. Watch out :-(

Two minutes later, I get a reservation through bb.com for her that night...costing me a 25% commission. So, not only did I make an exception for the one night, but now I lose out on the rate AND she sent a seperate email requesting an early "Full Breakfast". Uh uh. Early brekkie here is cream cheese muffins, yogurt and a fruit bowl. Like it or lump it....guess you should have mentioned that on the phone, babe..
potty-mouth.gif

Pitas!!!!!!

Or y'all could meet here and Muirford can bring the do-nots. :) We have 6 rooms and 2 with sofa beds...pack em in, innkeeper meetup slumber party! What was that promotion "Sleep Around In Virginia" Or something a couple years ago..
Don't think sleep around is the phrase to use LOL

25% commission?? that is Way Way harsh! and cream cheese muffins, yogurt and a fruit basket sounds really nice don't do yourself down! If our people need early breakfast they get coffee, cearial, fruit and yogurt and best of luck to them!

"The church ladies are the worst. They all wear big bright colored hats and think we play kazoos."
That was a direct quote from a music teacher, it made me smile. I always remember that line! All I could think of, was, the Red Hats ladies. :)

25% commission?? that is Way Way harsh! and cream cheese muffins, yogurt and a fruit basket sounds really nice don't do yourself down! If our people need early breakfast they get coffee, cearial, fruit and yogurt and best of luck to them!
What kind of commission does laterooms take?

Little Blue said:
So, not only did I make an exception for the one night, but now I lose out on the rate AND she sent a seperate email requesting an early "Full Breakfast".
There's that whole, "no good deed goes unpunished" theory. :(

Back