Gotta Love a Small town

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago we were hit with an ice storm and a few days later it warmed up. I heard the ice come crashing down from my tin roof. Thought nothing of it - there is nothing on that side of the house to get damaged which is why there is no ice guard there. About 10 days ago I was out on that side of the house and saw that when the ice came down, it brought down half of the gutter on that side. Called insurance, got the name of a contractor, he came, and then it is wait for an estimate. and wait and wait. Call - does not answer -cannot leave a message.

Thursday we had WIND! and that %^&*thing banged against the house all night. Friday guests were coming, so I got clothesline and tied it to my grape arbor. I have a new neighbor. He was outside and I asked him if he knows any contractors and showed him what I need done. He said yes and he would ask. He also had a suggestion for the immediate - see if the Fire Dept could come over with a ladder and tin snips and bring it down (will have to be replaced anyway). DUH!

So later that day - it was a zoo of activity - I texted the Mayor who is on the Volunteer Fire Department asking if they might/maybe could, sending him the photo of the tied off. I hoped they could do it the next day since it was getting dark. within 30 min. one of the Assistant Fire Chiefs was knocking at my office to tell me it was down. Would not even come in to let me write a check to the Dept. He said, we are neighbors, we take care of each other. Gotta love living in a small town.

Attachments

• gutter-gillumhouse.JPG
    gutter-gillumhouse.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
  • tiedgutter-gillumhouse.JPG
    tiedgutter-gillumhouse.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 3
Yes, small towns can be wonderful..or horrible depending on the situation. Everybody knows everybody. Both good and bad!

So, whatever happened to your new boyfriend/helper? I remember you had some new friend who was a handy handyman.

He fixed the transom in the dining room today. I do not have a ladder long enough for 2nd-story work and since he is almost 80, I do not want him climbing anything higher than the step stool.

We leave Friday as soon as my guests leave to take the "coffin" to Illinois to my son. My car is too short or it would have ben there 3 years ago. He is taking a seat out of his van so we can put it in his van to get it out of my house! YEA!! Will be seeing all of my kids in the USA (Iowa & Illinois) AND my great-grandson for the first time - he is 18 months now. A few hours with each and getting back to where I belong.

He fixed the transom in the dining room today. I do not have a ladder long enough for 2nd-story work and since he is almost 80, I do not want him climbing anything higher than the step stool.

We leave Friday as soon as my guests leave to take the "coffin" to Illinois to my son. My car is too short or it would have ben there 3 years ago. He is taking a seat out of his van so we can put it in his van to get it out of my house! YEA!! Will be seeing all of my kids in the USA (Iowa & Illinois) AND my great-grandson for the first time - he is 18 months now. A few hours with each and getting back to where I belong.
I hope at 80 I can still reach the transoms!

Got back tonight in time for my city Council meeting. Mission accomplished. I moved (pushed, not lifted) this gun safe into the Illinois house alone - almost 50 years ago. It is all steel 5'4" long, 18" high, and 28" wide.

My friend parked in the alley by my driveway to tell me he was here so I could move my car. At the same time apparently there was an altercation going on a few doors down & the cops were called (I was unaware). As we were discussing HOW we were going to load this thing, there was a knock on the door - the Chief of Police asking if everything was OK here and about the van. We told him about the loading of the safe and I said, come in and see what I am talking about. He saw it and said I was going to need a heavy-duty dolly to get that thing out of the house and without damaging the woodwork. (He did not know I am from a long line of - "hold my beer" people). He said he would come back and help us.

We turned it onto the 17 inch side on 2 wood squares on wheels - the things you put heavy plants on - and wheeled it out to the deck. THEN we started to put it into the van. Got close but were afraid it might tip on that last foot into the van so I called a friend to help with that. Texted the Chief we had it loaded. He replied he would have helped but told him I knew but he was busy. That was Thursday.

Friday we got to Peoria, Illinois at my son's house about 9 PM. fortunately, he has a motion light in his car port. You guys would have split your sides laughing as he & I pushed & pulled the coffin out of the van. (My son had left - with my blessings - for their planned vacation. We let it tip onto one of the squares and moved it til only about a foot of it was resting on the van. NOW we have to get it the rest of the way out. If it just drops, it might damage the cement floor of the car port - AND we have fingers and toes to consider. Looked around and saw the wood pile. That got moved to under the coffin and we slid it onto to woodpile perfectly! Saturday saw my twins in Iowa, Sunday breakfast with middle son & 2 grandsons, then to #2 grandson & my great-grandson & dinner with old friends and then drove to Indiana to avoid Chicago Monday morning. Marathon drive and I was home in time for City Council.
The photo is the coffin in the van - it has to weigh 300 or more pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
Back