Gotta love 'r

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
In 2002 I had to drop the cable from the room above the Library and brought into the Library for my b-i-l to have TV during his last days. FINALLY got around to getting a TV for the "dropped" room - a flat screen w/DVD since it is mounted on the wall. DD, my handyman, told me to just buy a DVD - cheaper than getting a flat screen with it and less to go wrong. So that is what I did for the other room - I even managed to hook it up "all by myself!" getting everything working (including sound on the DVD) with only 2 tries.
Yesterday, while I am out, the cable guy comes and instead of calling me, DH handles it. We will not go into what I had to listen to on that score about my definciencies) but I get home before the guy leaves. That TV s working (did not check DVD maybe I should) so thanked him and he leaves. Last night I am getting a few things ready upstairs and decided to set the TVs on the Weather Channel. The TV that DID work before the cable guy came now does not (DVD does) - the TV shows the channel but says NO SIGNAL. I called the cable company this morning - I get to sing the song "Tomorrow".
Gotta love them I guess because it is something WE cannot do.....

He was right to avoid the built in DVDs on the flat panel tvs. That's what we got 18 months ago, and have since learned that the DVD players have a tendency to fail because of the vertical tray...and once the DVD goes, the regular TV won't work, either. Yay.
And, of course, at the same time we got a desktop with a verticle DVD drive. :) I expect at some point to "celebrate" all new electronics.

i did think about dvd but figured with blue ray comming in at a rapid pace it would be outdated in 5 mins therefore would rather buy separates.

I had TV's with built in DVD's in all my rooms, flat panel and the old kind. Never had a day's problem with any one of them, less wires and more attractive

I had TV's with built in DVD's in all my rooms, flat panel and the old kind. Never had a day's problem with any one of them, less wires and more attractive.
agoodman said:
I had TV's with built in DVD's in all my rooms, flat panel and the old kind. Never had a day's problem with any one of them, less wires and more attractive
Good to know. Less wires/shelves it what we were going for. DH even moved the outlets behind the TVs, so you see no wires at all.

i did think about dvd but figured with blue ray comming in at a rapid pace it would be outdated in 5 mins therefore would rather buy separates..
Only got one with the DVD in the TV - that one is mounted on the wall. The newst TV is without the DVD and I got the DVD for $40 (it even has a mic if we need a mic for something with the City! I have the TV sitting on the DVD on the dresser - still takes up less space than the other TV did.
I lucked out - one of the guys said he does not watch TV so he took the room with the bad guy cable.

Update on the cable guy -
Our Frontier Days Parade was at Noon today (I left just after 11 for line-up). As DH was about to hobble up the block to the parade the phone rang. The cable guy said. "I am caught in traffic on the wrong side of the river. Does it HAVE to get fixed today?" DH told him the problem and the guy said, "I know what happened." Then DH told him it can wait until Monday. I will give my Sunday arrivals their choice of the Harris with DVD but no TV or Rosi's with both (just farther from the bathroom. I am NOT going to give them the expensive room when they booked the cheaper one.

We have a home theater setup that Includes a surround sound receiver and 5.1 speakers, DishTV and Sony Playstation (plays Blue-Rays). This is also all connected to the internet and home network.
DW says if I ever die, she's going to have to chuck the whole lot because she would never be able to figure it out.

Back