Governement rate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've discussed this before, how some travelers will try to get a "government rate" while traveling with their spouse on a vacation in conjunction maybe with business travel. They should have the government travel orders when they're traveling on government business, a friend of mine tells me. I had a couple of callers try to bully me into giving them a government rate with a second person in their party. I didn't budge and got a bunch of grief from it.
I did offer a very deep discount biz traveler rate Sun-Thurs which included ALL our amenities and a full breakfast, if they wanted it. I also had a generous miitary discount which I extended to families visiting their soldier here.
I've had State employees travel here on business on our regular corporate rate and they always had the proper form required for their tax exempt status. That got filed with their guest statement for whatever purposes needed in the event of an audit. Easy, no problem. They thought we were a good value and several were repeat guests.
Maybe hotels give these folks traveling on vacation a government rate and don't care, but when you're a small lodging business, there are times when you can't afford to give your rooms away at that rate for two people. It's also the principle of the thing to me because it seemed like when these folks were calling to get me to give them some ultra cheap rate, we were very busy. Why should I give them a deep, deep discount at the government per diem for vacation travel with two in their party just because they have a government job?.
Samster said:
just because they have a government job?
And, no offense here, possibly make more money than you do anyway? Govt rate is an odd situation.

How do you determine your bottom line? What is the cost for the room vs the value?

We've discussed this before, how some travelers will try to get a "government rate" while traveling with their spouse on a vacation in conjunction maybe with business travel. They should have the government travel orders when they're traveling on government business, a friend of mine tells me. I had a couple of callers try to bully me into giving them a government rate with a second person in their party. I didn't budge and got a bunch of grief from it.
I did offer a very deep discount biz traveler rate Sun-Thurs which included ALL our amenities and a full breakfast, if they wanted it. I also had a generous miitary discount which I extended to families visiting their soldier here.
I've had State employees travel here on business on our regular corporate rate and they always had the proper form required for their tax exempt status. That got filed with their guest statement for whatever purposes needed in the event of an audit. Easy, no problem. They thought we were a good value and several were repeat guests.
Maybe hotels give these folks traveling on vacation a government rate and don't care, but when you're a small lodging business, there are times when you can't afford to give your rooms away at that rate for two people. It's also the principle of the thing to me because it seemed like when these folks were calling to get me to give them some ultra cheap rate, we were very busy. Why should I give them a deep, deep discount at the government per diem for vacation travel with two in their party just because they have a government job?.
Samster said:
And, no offense here, possibly make more money than you do anyway? Govt rate is an odd situation.
Emily Spiers said:
Samster said:
And, no offense here, possibly make more money than you do anyway? Govt rate is an odd situation
That's really why we limit our stated government rate policy to government guests travelling on business, single occupancy, no breakfast - that is the per diem rate that they get reimbursed on their expenses. If I want to deep discount my rooms to 1/2 off, then I don't really care if they are government employees or not.

I guess the thing is that quite a few inns on the forum are within thousands of federal employees (not even saying state gvmt) and the question is ARE THEY STAYING WITH YOU FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES? If not, then they are cheating. Using their ID Badge to skirt the system, abuse the power or play the innkeepers is not on my top list for good guests. I guess it comes down to that, in my mind.

Samster said:
Emily Spiers said:
Samster said:
AND, they're already making their living off of us.

ANY rate is for ANY time or ANY way YOU WANT TO USE IT
If you are not full, why would anyone turn down someone on a weekend when they ask for a govt or other rate.? All rates are "subject to availability" and you
I take the case: I love Inns free night cert - so many guests tell me horror stories and I know because I have even called on their behalf ...
Let's say restrictions are Sun-Thu only, on 2 occassions I called an Inn with around 13 rooms, and I called a few days (not weeks) in advance and they are NOT an Inn that gets full at the last minute. They had ONE or two rooms occupied ONLY. Guest wanted to use free night Sat and Sun nights. Innkeeper says No. I mean the Sunday was part of the Sun-Thu AND they had availability!! and it was a last minute res. Geez. I would rather have the revenue than turn away the booking. *Then there were the Inns that never even had the decency to return my calls ....
The other option is to say "I am sorry the government rate is for offificial business travel (and who says some govt people don't work on weekends anyway??) but I can offer you (alternate discount - last minute? multi night? AAA?)
In the same vein if your govt rate is single and they are traveling with spouse why not just upcharge the extra person?
shrug2.gif

I am NOT criticizing policies I am just saying unless you are running full or don't need the business why would you NOT take the biz?.
agoodman said:
If you are not full, why would anyone turn down someone on a weekend when they ask for a govt or other rate.?
Because asking for the discount is usually just the tip of the iceberg, can I bring my kids/dog/parents, can I have an early check in/late check out, can my friend join me for breakfast, etc. Because most people looking for some type of discount are not really the guests we want. I would rather the room sit empty than have it trashed, or have things taken from the Inn, or have to deal with some nightmare situation. Not worth it.
Don Draper said:
Because asking for the discount is usually just the tip of the iceberg, ...
I am lucky then I never get that. In fact as a reservations sales trainer we taught people NEVER to lose the res, they called you for a reason - to make a booking. Again, if anyone is full or does not need the biz, then GOOD FOR YOU!! I can't criticize anyone for turning away reduced rate business for full rate.
agoodman said:
In fact as a reservations sales trainer we taught people NEVER to lose the res.
Sounds like a large business idealogy, not sure what kind of business you were working for. But this is my HOME, you can definitely stay somewhere cheaper but you will never replicate the experience of staying here, so that's what we base our decisions on. We also made a firm decision to keep our rates as low as possible for EVERYONE, as we don't think it's fair to offer individual discounts (military, govt, AARP, etc.). Just our philosophy, it works for us.
what kind of business? Hotels. Large. Small. Domestic. Intl.
"not losing the res" does not always mean discount the room, it means sell your amenities, your location, your benefits. This is NOT directed at you pesonally but I cannot tell you how many hotels / B&B's etc I used to call as a Biz traveler or a trainer and they give you rate. That's it.
Anyhoo the philosophy relates to every business that sells something. Rooms. T Shirts. Food. What makes ME different from the competion? Or what brings you to the area? (Business? Great. All our rooms have a work area and wireless internet. Leisure? You'll love it at that time of year because the peach trees are producing the best peaches right now. Funeral? I am so sorry - which funeral home? Oh we are only a mile from there.
Again we do what works for us ... I was just answering the initial posters question.
Your perspective is appreciated, I was just curious as to whom the training was done for. I absolutely agree, each of us does what works for us, that's the only way we stay sane!
teeth_smile.gif

... on the training side of my career I used to work for Signature (US) who do hotel sales and service training but I was actually taking care of the UK at the time and installed/trained and supported hotel res systems for Hotel Info systems and Disney Paris.
regular_smile.gif

I also used to have my own company and did training and consulting for various hotels and lastminute.com
your name is familiar so maybe we have run across each other

ANY rate is for ANY time or ANY way YOU WANT TO USE IT
If you are not full, why would anyone turn down someone on a weekend when they ask for a govt or other rate.? All rates are "subject to availability" and you
I take the case: I love Inns free night cert - so many guests tell me horror stories and I know because I have even called on their behalf ...
Let's say restrictions are Sun-Thu only, on 2 occassions I called an Inn with around 13 rooms, and I called a few days (not weeks) in advance and they are NOT an Inn that gets full at the last minute. They had ONE or two rooms occupied ONLY. Guest wanted to use free night Sat and Sun nights. Innkeeper says No. I mean the Sunday was part of the Sun-Thu AND they had availability!! and it was a last minute res. Geez. I would rather have the revenue than turn away the booking. *Then there were the Inns that never even had the decency to return my calls ....
The other option is to say "I am sorry the government rate is for offificial business travel (and who says some govt people don't work on weekends anyway??) but I can offer you (alternate discount - last minute? multi night? AAA?)
In the same vein if your govt rate is single and they are traveling with spouse why not just upcharge the extra person?
shrug2.gif

I am NOT criticizing policies I am just saying unless you are running full or don't need the business why would you NOT take the biz?.
agoodman said:
If you are not full, why would anyone turn down someone on a weekend when they ask for a govt or other rate.?
Because asking for the discount is usually just the tip of the iceberg, can I bring my kids/dog/parents, can I have an early check in/late check out, can my friend join me for breakfast, etc. Because most people looking for some type of discount are not really the guests we want. I would rather the room sit empty than have it trashed, or have things taken from the Inn, or have to deal with some nightmare situation. Not worth it.
Don Draper said:
Because asking for the discount is usually just the tip of the iceberg, ...
I am lucky then I never get that. In fact as a reservations sales trainer we taught people NEVER to lose the res, they called you for a reason - to make a booking. Again, if anyone is full or does not need the biz, then GOOD FOR YOU!! I can't criticize anyone for turning away reduced rate business for full rate.
agoodman said:
In fact as a reservations sales trainer we taught people NEVER to lose the res.
Sounds like a large business idealogy, not sure what kind of business you were working for. But this is my HOME, you can definitely stay somewhere cheaper but you will never replicate the experience of staying here, so that's what we base our decisions on. We also made a firm decision to keep our rates as low as possible for EVERYONE, as we don't think it's fair to offer individual discounts (military, govt, AARP, etc.). Just our philosophy, it works for us.
what kind of business? Hotels. Large. Small. Domestic. Intl.
"not losing the res" does not always mean discount the room, it means sell your amenities, your location, your benefits. This is NOT directed at you pesonally but I cannot tell you how many hotels / B&B's etc I used to call as a Biz traveler or a trainer and they give you rate. That's it.
Anyhoo the philosophy relates to every business that sells something. Rooms. T Shirts. Food. What makes ME different from the competion? Or what brings you to the area? (Business? Great. All our rooms have a work area and wireless internet. Leisure? You'll love it at that time of year because the peach trees are producing the best peaches right now. Funeral? I am so sorry - which funeral home? Oh we are only a mile from there.
Again we do what works for us ... I was just answering the initial posters question.
Your perspective is appreciated, I was just curious as to whom the training was done for. I absolutely agree, each of us does what works for us, that's the only way we stay sane!
teeth_smile.gif

... on the training side of my career I used to work for Signature (US) who do hotel sales and service training but I was actually taking care of the UK at the time and installed/trained and supported hotel res systems for Hotel Info systems and Disney Paris.
regular_smile.gif

I also used to have my own company and did training and consulting for various hotels and lastminute.com
agoodman said:
Ha ha...you've probably seen him on AMCTV!!
wink_smile.gif

I live in an area highly traveled by Gov. employees. I use the GSA per diem rates for business travelers S-Th nights, single traveler, but have extended this for weekends if they are here for over a 2 week period (many times). For me, it works as I am referred to by many for not only business but for pleasure as well - paying our regular rates. Families coming in to visit etc. It is very good PR for MY B&B.
Personally, I find single business travelers are the easiest way I can make money!!! Their rooms are (99%) left neat, they are gone all day, quiet when they return, and do not ask us to bend over backwards to help them.
The per diem rates here are not bad, I do know that many places the rate is very low and if I were in the next county I would not be boosting this business. Your business comes first. You must do what works for YOU. You are not obligated to rent rooms at government rates (unless you signed a contract to do so) whether it be for business or not, single traveler or with a SO. This is YOUR business... you decide how it best fits your business when to accept those reservations and when not to because you will be able to fill your rooms at regular rate. This is why you went in to your own business - so you could make up your own rules. PERIOD..
copperhead said:
Personally, I find single business travelers are the easiest way I can make money!!! Their rooms are (99%) left neat, they are gone all day, quiet when they return, and do not ask us to bend over backwards to help them.
Amen to that! I don't offer a government per diem (don't have that kind of traffic here.) But I DO have a pretty nice biz clientele at times, and I agree 100%. Now, the downside is an early breakfast -- and we are flexible in order to get and keep our business travelers. Just the other day I had 7 rooms full with biz travelers, 2 different groups. 7 rooms, 7 breakfasts---and I think maybe a total of 7 towels, and kitchen is CLEAN by 9am! Now that kind of business is (for me, anyway) worth getting up early for. (And absolutely, the part about "they are gone all day" is a bonus too!)

I live in an area highly traveled by Gov. employees. I use the GSA per diem rates for business travelers S-Th nights, single traveler, but have extended this for weekends if they are here for over a 2 week period (many times). For me, it works as I am referred to by many for not only business but for pleasure as well - paying our regular rates. Families coming in to visit etc. It is very good PR for MY B&B.
The per diem rates here are not bad, I do know that many places the rate is very low and if I were in the next county I would not be boosting this business. Your business comes first. You must do what works for YOU. You are not obligated to rent rooms at government rates (unless you signed a contract to do so) whether it be for business or not, single traveler or with a SO. This is YOUR business... you decide how it best fits your business when to accept those reservations and when not to because you will be able to fill your rooms at regular rate. This is why you went in to your own business - so you could make up your own rules. PERIOD..
copperhead said:
Amen to that! I don't offer a government per diem (don't have that kind of traffic here.) But I DO have a pretty nice biz clientele at times, and I agree 100%. Now, the downside is an early breakfast -- and we are flexible in order to get and keep our business travelers. Just the other day I had 7 rooms full with biz travelers, 2 different groups. 7 rooms, 7 breakfasts---and I think maybe a total of 7 towels, and kitchen is CLEAN by 9am! Now that kind of business is (for me, anyway) worth getting up early for. (And absolutely, the part about "they are gone all day" is a bonus too!)
InnBloom said:
copperhead said:
I concur. Love our biz guests. That part of our biz has dropped off a ton in this economy, wish we had more of them! Fantastic, clean, well traveled. Early breakfast and gone all day...terrific!

We have never been asked for a government discount but then most of our gov employees have to use a gov travel agent called Carlson Wagonlit (would give my eye teeth to be on that list) so they have no choice where they go and or pay and then the gov is billed directly by the hotel. I do a good deal for the local army base (they have two passing in and passing out parades a year plus family days and weekends) they get $10-20 dollars off and they book direct so it actually makes me more money (commission on $140 dollars is about $20) they are happy and we are happy and I have been full for all of their events since I fought my way onto their recomended list took me two years mind! The list I really want to be on is for the local RAF base which is mostly staffed by American personel and they stay in hotels while on short visits or till their stuff arrives from america (by container) for longer stays either arriving here or leaving. This is a huge amount of business and they usually stay 3 or 4 weeks at $200 a day for 1 person I'll get there eventually!

I guess the thing is that quite a few inns on the forum are within thousands of federal employees (not even saying state gvmt) and the question is ARE THEY STAYING WITH YOU FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES? If not, then they are cheating. Using their ID Badge to skirt the system, abuse the power or play the innkeepers is not on my top list for good guests. I guess it comes down to that, in my mind..
Hear hear!

The gov't rate around here is so low that they generally have to stay at hotels. I don't know many places that will accept, I think, $79. We're not in one of the target areas, so that's the state-wide rate from last year.

Back