GPS Systems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Someone mentioned on a different thread that they are listed on the TomTom and Garmin devices. Stupid question: how does one go about doing that?

The key is really to make sure your info is officially out there. Many of the mapping systems use either Navteq (Google, Garmin, Mapquest...) or TeleAtlas (TomTom ) as their data source for the map and the points of interest.
Most of the data originally comes from the USGS, and local 911 mapping, so make sure you are registered as a business in your county or whatever municipality handles that in your region.
Here is the statement from Navteq's website
NAVTEQ POIs (points of interest) are gathered from multiple resources to create one of the richest collections available. NAVTEQ POIs are derived through NAVTEQ field team on-site collection, multiple third-party business listings and specialty source data. For example, the North American POI product integrated thousands of NAVTEQ-collected POIs, particularly from high use, complex areas like airports and shopping malls, business listings and specialty sources for diesel fuel stations and other specific needs. NAVTEQ POIs are quality checked using a variety of tools including in-field, remote and automated quality checking.
Google uses the Navteq data but then supplements its own to create its own data from "Google local". I'm not sure if Google shares its data back with Navteq, but it is always a good idea to make sure your place is registered and confirmed in Google Local.

I layman's terms it is loaded on the software that comes with the GPS. :)

I layman's terms it is loaded on the software that comes with the GPS. :).
See, that's the problem: I don't own one, nor have I ever used one. We were discussing (at work) the fact that NO ONE can find us when using GPS and now I wonder if it's because the information that is out there for those systems is wrong/out of date/something.

The key is really to make sure your info is officially out there. Many of the mapping systems use either Navteq (Google, Garmin, Mapquest...) or TeleAtlas (TomTom ) as their data source for the map and the points of interest.
Most of the data originally comes from the USGS, and local 911 mapping, so make sure you are registered as a business in your county or whatever municipality handles that in your region.
Here is the statement from Navteq's website
NAVTEQ POIs (points of interest) are gathered from multiple resources to create one of the richest collections available. NAVTEQ POIs are derived through NAVTEQ field team on-site collection, multiple third-party business listings and specialty source data. For example, the North American POI product integrated thousands of NAVTEQ-collected POIs, particularly from high use, complex areas like airports and shopping malls, business listings and specialty sources for diesel fuel stations and other specific needs. NAVTEQ POIs are quality checked using a variety of tools including in-field, remote and automated quality checking.
Google uses the Navteq data but then supplements its own to create its own data from "Google local". I'm not sure if Google shares its data back with Navteq, but it is always a good idea to make sure your place is registered and confirmed in Google Local..
Here are spots where you can update add info to Navteq maps and TeleAtlas.

I layman's terms it is loaded on the software that comes with the GPS. :).
Right, and the thing that drives you crazy is realizing that as soon as the GPS leaves the factory, the map is out of date. .... IN other words, someone can pull into your drive today with a Garmin GPS that has you on it, but someone trying to find you with the same model GPS that left the factory 3 months earlier might not have you on it.
Many GPS allow you to update to newer maps, but people have to know how to connect it to their computer to do it AND they actually have to do it AND they may have to pay an extra fee to get the newer map.... so needless to say, many people will just drive around with old map data.

Swirt it is even more confusing. My son received his TomTom last Christmas & our place is covered (correctly I may add). I was not aware that the source of this info is TeleAtlas until your post. As stated in the other thread, I just did a trial month of GPS using my new (1mth old) ATT phone...source of data TeleAtlas, and my B&B is not listed at all. I am not sure how I receive the data via phone... I do not think the info is stored on the phone like it is on the TomTom or Garmin as it seems that it is pulling info from a web based site as you request it... So if that is the case, you would think the data would be up-to-date?
I went to TeleAtlas and made an update.

1. You should be correct on google maps, if not, start there and make sure that is fixed, the owner/mgr can contact google and make the correction.
  2. GIS 9-1-1 which is being done in every community in this country and had been for quite a few years...should also have the information correctly input. IF NOT contact your local GIS which would be your located in your city or county IT Dept.

Swirt it is even more confusing. My son received his TomTom last Christmas & our place is covered (correctly I may add). I was not aware that the source of this info is TeleAtlas until your post. As stated in the other thread, I just did a trial month of GPS using my new (1mth old) ATT phone...source of data TeleAtlas, and my B&B is not listed at all. I am not sure how I receive the data via phone... I do not think the info is stored on the phone like it is on the TomTom or Garmin as it seems that it is pulling info from a web based site as you request it... So if that is the case, you would think the data would be up-to-date?
I went to TeleAtlas and made an update..
You are right it is a lot more confusing/complicated than that. It is possible that the phone uses only the map data from TeleAtlas and not the points of interest ... or perhaps the points of interest are a smaller set ... like only chains or only restaurants or something like that.
The other thing is that some GPS companies also add their own data (seems to me like TomTom was using Fodors or AAA data in its points of interest) so it is possible that you were in the GPS as a result of that data and not the TeleAtlas data.

How did you do that? I can't even figure out how to find out if I'm on there or not!

Hi there,
Dont know if this information will help but here a link to a site that will help you get your GPS co-ordinates. http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html. Our state assocation is going to use GPS for location of our inns rather than list them on a regional map. N.C. B&B assocation does this and it seems to be very usefull. It also saves on webmaster update charges becuase now after we add a new B&B to the association website, the GPS location puts a marker right on the map.
I have used the link above to find my B&B's location and placed the exact location on my website. I did have to adjust the marker a bit, but once I got it lined up, it now will place a person almost on my front porch. I got tired of Googles maps not giving good location and Google has and still does send people to the fraturinity house 2 house away when a person types in my address with Google Maps or any of the GPS systems. I have tried to fix this problem myself by moving the marker, even sent an email to Google Tech support and they still will show us as being the frat house. Oh well. I have done all I can and will do.
Whats even funnier is Google maps now shows (and i never saw this before when I would log in) a road going right through the frat house dorm rooms.
teeth_smile.gif

How did you do that? I can't even figure out how to find out if I'm on there or not!
Bree, as far as we could find, you can not tell by the websites, you can just go there to add or update your listing. If you do not think you are listed OR you feel you may be listed incorrectly, go to each site and place your info in...
By the time they have this profected, something new will take its place,,,,

Hi there,
Dont know if this information will help but here a link to a site that will help you get your GPS co-ordinates. http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html. Our state assocation is going to use GPS for location of our inns rather than list them on a regional map. N.C. B&B assocation does this and it seems to be very usefull. It also saves on webmaster update charges becuase now after we add a new B&B to the association website, the GPS location puts a marker right on the map.
I have used the link above to find my B&B's location and placed the exact location on my website. I did have to adjust the marker a bit, but once I got it lined up, it now will place a person almost on my front porch. I got tired of Googles maps not giving good location and Google has and still does send people to the fraturinity house 2 house away when a person types in my address with Google Maps or any of the GPS systems. I have tried to fix this problem myself by moving the marker, even sent an email to Google Tech support and they still will show us as being the frat house. Oh well. I have done all I can and will do.
Whats even funnier is Google maps now shows (and i never saw this before when I would log in) a road going right through the frat house dorm rooms.
teeth_smile.gif
Ahhh, the scenic route!

Back