Graceful and effective competition and integration

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with the new venture! Generally, there is a breaking point with number of rooms. Do you feel that 3 places will mean not enough business for all of you or more business because it looks like a vibrant tourist community? From my perspective, we hit the breaking point when 2 new hotels opened within a year of each other. There was a need for more rooms here, but we passed that point with the second hotel. 5 B&B's closed, one hotel reduced its rooms by 50% and we still have months where we see only a few guests on weekends. Part of that is due to people wanting a pool in the winter. Part is due to brand name recognition with the hotels.
Because of the animosity that seems to be brewing, I would host an open house in stages. Invite members of different community factions to come at different times, leaving no one group out. You'll need to explain to different groups what you're doing and what you're not doing. If you do this and the ex pats just snub their noses, guess who's going to get business and who isn't.
It doesn't hurt to spread the wealth around where you can. If you look like you're just going to suck the life out of the land and then 'go home' the locals won't trust you. So, think of ways to give back. With the tours, maybe offer a couple of free tours to local schools each year. Things like that.
welcome.gif
Also wanted to add that 4 new hotels also opened up in outlying communities where we used to draw guests from. Obviously, many people don't want to drive an extra 30 minutes to stay here when they can be closer to their destination by staying in one of these new hotels.
So there is a breaking point. But, if the other places are small, it will take longer to reach that point.
Yup, that's my concern. The town was an unknown tourist destination 5 years ago with one ten room hotel. It's grown since then. Now, there are now 5 budget places (perfect for an inn we think - and so do these two additional inns in the past couple months). Tourism is continuing to grow, my concern is if it will grow fast enough.
I do want to be honorable, but also a good business woman, and I loved the thoughts of how to give back to the community.
CafeMae said:
I do want to be honorable, but also a good business woman, and I loved the thoughts of how to give back to the community.
There may come a time you see others doing things that are not honorable. We see it all the time. What you have to do at that point is look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you can continue to look yourself in the eye if you opt for the 'shady' way of doing business.
Overall, in spite of the news stories, I think the good guys finish first.
Overall, in spite of the news stories, I think the good guys finish first.
They sleep better...............

Welcome to the forum where there is a world of knowledge available for those that love sleepless nights! lol
We had an open house for our B&B mainly for the neighborhoods surrounding us. It brought us many new friends & set many minds at ease as to what to expect. So this is a wonderful idea to let the community get to know you and your business.
You may consider having a raffle as part of the open house (if legal there) where the money goes to a local charity or school you provide a grand prize. Find a charity that is well known & loved.
And Catlady brought up a very good point regarding the other innkeepers. Once you get the open house behind you, contact the other innkeepers and invite them for Lunch, tea - what ever. Try working together to provide referrals when full. It will be good for business & you may find you make a great friend. I wish this was how it works here in my area but it does not but hear it works for others here on the forum..
copperhead said:
Once you get the open house behind you, contact the other innkeepers and invite them for Lunch, tea - what ever. Try working together to provide referrals when full. It will be good for business & you may find you make a great friend. I wish this was how it works here in my area but it does not but hear it works for others here on the forum.
thumbs_up.gif
Ahh...appreciate the staged approach that you and a couple others have suggested. Raffles are a serious hobby for many small-town Panamanians, good idea!

Back