Gracious way to decline a guest wanting to be FB friends?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We have a fan page and I have a personal page (because back in the day you had to have the personal page first). A guest wants to friend me on my personal page but I prefer to keep biz & personal separate. Any gracious way to say this?
My personal page is family only. I know I can shut down what individual people can see and what I can read from them, but I'd still prefer to not see this guest's life all the time.
The guest is a fan of the inn page already.

Madeleine said:
My personal page is family only.
There's your answer, I'd say. Just tell them that, thanking them for offering.

I agree with Arky. Tell them it's family only, and you see they're fans on your inn's page. You look forward to interacting with them on your inn page.

Did they ask you specifically or did you just get a friend request from facebook? If so, I would just decline or not accept..whatever the terminology is. If she contacted you personally, then say my personal page is only for my family. That's it.

I agree with Catlady.
Or, you could do like me... have a biz page, personal page, and an alter ego. Anybody can fan me, or friend me, but most people don't even know about the alter ego. I never put anything out on my personal page that my ex or Jay Karen couldn't read. My alter ego though... that's where I can grouse and be real, and put the date of my divorce or the next child support hearing.
=)
Kk.

If it's a request, simply decline. Then change your settings. In the privacy section look for "Who can send you friend requests?" And change that to "Friends of Friends" which will make strangers unable to friend you, directly. They have to have at least one other person in common with you, to do that.
People will then send you an email, since you can friend them, but not vice-versa. Simply say that it's your personal account for family only and they should understand.

I agree with Catlady.
Or, you could do like me... have a biz page, personal page, and an alter ego. Anybody can fan me, or friend me, but most people don't even know about the alter ego. I never put anything out on my personal page that my ex or Jay Karen couldn't read. My alter ego though... that's where I can grouse and be real, and put the date of my divorce or the next child support hearing.
=)
Kk..
I am like that have my page, then a camberley page and then a camberley fan page which keeps them out. 3 degrees of separation

Back