Graduating gift protocol

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What is expected of you if you receive an invite to graduation of daughter of acquaintances? Not closest friends, not relatives, and this is high school, not uni. Graduation is during working hours. A gift of a card and check? How much?

If they are not FRIENDS and you are not close and just acquaintances, you owe the nothing.
You are not expected to give gift/money to people you don't even know. I believe Dear Abby answered something to that effect just a few weeks ago:) If you want, just sent a congrats card.

If they are not FRIENDS and you are not close and just acquaintances, you owe the nothing.
You are not expected to give gift/money to people you don't even know. I believe Dear Abby answered something to that effect just a few weeks ago:) If you want, just sent a congrats card..
I was figuring closer than acquaintances, tho, as they got an invite. But now I'm thinking back to when my kids graduated HS and they were all talking about sending invites out just to get gifts. So, you're right, if they're not close friends, then just a card or nothing.

a graduation invite and not a party invite? my sister is all upset because her grandson is graduating from high school and is allowed 4 guests. 4. that means his parents and his brother and one grandparent from one side of the family .... the inside locale can't hold more than that and you have to show your invite (ticket) at the door.
a card would be nice.

A card - at least, if you are no more than casual aquaintances. If you know them a little more, a monetary gift of no more than $20 or a nice plaque or picture frame. Of course the kids like the cash, but once it is gone there is nothing to show for it - but I still have some of the small gifts I recieved back those many years ago!

a graduation invite and not a party invite? my sister is all upset because her grandson is graduating from high school and is allowed 4 guests. 4. that means his parents and his brother and one grandparent from one side of the family .... the inside locale can't hold more than that and you have to show your invite (ticket) at the door.
a card would be nice..
Same at my son's hs grad...4 tix. My daughter went to the same school so she just walked in with the grads and I was able to get the other family members who showed up in on the 4 tix. (They let you keep them as souvenirs, so daughter just walked back out and gave them to other family and then walked back in as a grad.) Yes, it's a horrible cheat, but which family member do you tell they can't come in?
And now that you mention it, what the kids sent out were announcements, not invites.

A congrats card as a thank you for receiving the announcement. If you actually know the kid that is graduating, and not just the parent(s), you could do $20. If they are going onto college in the Fall a WalMart, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble or similar gift card is also nice. It's really up to you whether you think you know this young person well enough to bestow a gift on them :)

I try to find out where they are going to college and buy them a $20 gift card to the bookstore or for their meal plan. I have a cousin who is going to Univ of Montana at Bozeman in the fall...he'll need help with books.

The dial replica watches design is replica watches obviously Glashütte Original, as one might expect from the watch makers replica handbags of some of replica handbags the most immediately distinctive dials in the business, however ugg boots the finish ugg boots quality is clearly polished over their other chronographs in the Senator collection. This platinum replica watches version is replica watches expensive however, operating the pushers; one almost forgets how expensive ugg boots it is since ugg boots the sweet smoothness of the button action. The chronograph pusher action, as far replica watches as I'm replica watches concerned, I think it is one of the best creations there is in the industry.While I quite appreciate the replica watches movement and replica watches its operation, I don't like the dial as a whole.

Back