Graduation Weekends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew! I'm tired just listening to all of all of this running around! You all deserve a vacation!

I had a call for a package I am promoting and after booking she called back to double confirm what she is getting and that DOES include dinner both nights right? Wrong. I actually don't make ANYTHING on this package, I promote it to bring in guests. The Sunset Dinner cruise is $45+tax, the murder mystery dinner cruise is $50+tax per person. So if they choose that I actually lose $10!
They take and take and take some more. I told her I am doing all the leg work and organizing it, adding flowers to your room etc, we do NOT mark it up. DOH!
poke.gif
I had a call earlier this week for a package for a wedding gift - and the check arrived today! She is giving her sister 2-night w/breakfast, a packed lunch for 2, and a dinner for 2. Did not even flinch at the price! No haggle, just OK. Woohoo!!
Maybe she didn't flinch because you aren't charging enough ?????

I had a call for a package I am promoting and after booking she called back to double confirm what she is getting and that DOES include dinner both nights right? Wrong. I actually don't make ANYTHING on this package, I promote it to bring in guests. The Sunset Dinner cruise is $45+tax, the murder mystery dinner cruise is $50+tax per person. So if they choose that I actually lose $10!
They take and take and take some more. I told her I am doing all the leg work and organizing it, adding flowers to your room etc, we do NOT mark it up. DOH!
poke.gif
I had a call earlier this week for a package for a wedding gift - and the check arrived today! She is giving her sister 2-night w/breakfast, a packed lunch for 2, and a dinner for 2. Did not even flinch at the price! No haggle, just OK. Woohoo!!
Maybe she didn't flinch because you aren't charging enough ?????
I am charging fair. I want bookings. This is a more expensive wedding gift than MY sister got!

TG, graduation weekend is almost over....
After no one showed for breakfast yesterday, I really had my doubts that today would be much different. I was correct. All gone early except one family. They were up before me. So where were they when breakfast time comes and goes - up making lots of noise in the room - you would think they were moving furniture (room right above my kitchen). Then 30 minutes after my 'offical' breakfast time and they come clomping down the stairs and make their way to the table - time to eat. Grrrrr.
They stay, they pay and they GO away!!!

After no one showed for breakfast yesterday, I really had my doubts that today would be much different. I was correct. All gone early except one family. They were up before me. So where were they when breakfast time comes and goes - up making lots of noise in the room - you would think they were moving furniture (room right above my kitchen). Then 30 minutes after my 'offical' breakfast time and they come clomping down the stairs and make their way to the table - time to eat. Grrrrr.
They stay, they pay and they GO away!!!.
Hmmmm.....have you considered changing your breakfast style for next year's graduation? What if next year you made it clear on your website that for graduation weekend it's a continental plus breakfast? You can set out fruit, cereals, muffins, yogurt, etc from 7:30-9:30 and just let them do their thing. It's obvious that breakfast is not that important to them. It sounds like these are the kinds of people that would be used to having a continental at a motel/hotel and don't "get" what a b&b is about.

Hmmmm.....have you considered changing your breakfast style for next year's graduation? What if next year you made it clear on your website that for graduation weekend it's a continental plus breakfast? You can set out fruit, cereals, muffins, yogurt, etc from 7:30-9:30 and just let them do their thing. It's obvious that breakfast is not that important to them. It sounds like these are the kinds of people that would be used to having a continental at a motel/hotel and don't "get" what a b&b is about.
We do that for certain weekends. The unfortunate part is we often have 'regular' guests at the same time who want the 'full meal deal' and not a continental. It's a tough balancing act on those weekends to make everyone happy.

The non eating was not due to the Grad ceremony time as all of the HS graduations here are done at night and we do not get bookings for any of the U graduations located in neighboring big city. It was just the people in my case - the 'luck' of the draw so to speak. It is rare for me to not have breakfast eaters, as I think I get a lot of business because of our reviews regarding breakfast, so to skimp on breakfast would not be in my best interests.

The non eating was not due to the Grad ceremony time as all of the HS graduations here are done at night and we do not get bookings for any of the U graduations located in neighboring big city. It was just the people in my case - the 'luck' of the draw so to speak. It is rare for me to not have breakfast eaters, as I think I get a lot of business because of our reviews regarding breakfast, so to skimp on breakfast would not be in my best interests.
If we make quiche we're pretty much guaranteed no shows for brekkie. We have had rave reviews for our quiche, so it's not that it's hideous or anything it's just that it's made in advance. Whenever we make a 'casserole' anything we're left with at least 1/2 of it.
Today we were told 17 for breakfast. 2 left early so that left 15. We made 3 quiches. I just gave an 8-slice quiche away to a friend, there's a 6-slice quiche in my fridge. The guests? 15 of them ate 8 slices of quiche. Right, most of them skipped brekkie.

Back