Graduation Weekends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How do you do breakfast when you have a full house for a graduation weekend and they need to be there EARLY? Do you have an open breakfast time, whoever shows shows?

We ask when they need to leave to get to the appropriate college (multiple colleges on the same weekend). We don't always know who needs to get there earlier than others.
IF they tell us they need to leave early and IF they say they want to eat, we'll start earlier than usual and make our usual breakfast (because not everyone is here for grad or even the same grad so the days are different).
However, what I have found works best for weekends where everyone needs to be somewhere at a certain time, or it is a group that is together, is a buffet.
I've found that most groups do not eat anyway. Whether I cook for them or put out the buffet, they are more concerned with doing whatever than with eating.

I just asked what time they needed breakfast...but we were only 3 rooms so that was doable for us. With more....a buffet put out early enough for the early birds seems like a good way to go.

UPDATE:
We set breakfast for a 730am buffet, help yourself sit inside or outside on the porch (it is a gorgeous day!) One dude tried to manipulate the situation and said they require a 6am breakfast, then 630am breakfast. Which means the innkeeper is up at what time? Disrupting the entire house! (We have to think of our other guests)
DH would not relent, and simply said, "Sorry we can't do breakfast at that time" meanwhile remember we have two other rooms here NOT for this event, and in fact one if here for a funeral for their Mom.
The dude said to DH "But the children will need something in their tummy" and DH told him where the McDonalds drive through was that will be open at 6am or 630am for them. We had coffee out and they were like charging elephants - woke the entire house and stormed out. So considerate!
Last night DH took over at 530pm after working his "other" job, and after I was on my last raw nerve. By the time he said No to this early request this dude had called from his room 3 times, 2 of which DH took, and then once met him face to face. The 1pm check in arrived at 9pm. Another room 4pm check in arrived 830ish after calling and asking turn by turn directions and spending 15 minutes on the phone writing them down, slowly...hey they are in the car, nothing else to do right?
So after all that, we have three guests at the table for breakfast, only, enjoying the peace and quiet, sitting on the porch with a book and listening to the mockingbirds. The chaos is over (for this morning anyway).

UPDATE:
We set breakfast for a 730am buffet, help yourself sit inside or outside on the porch (it is a gorgeous day!) One dude tried to manipulate the situation and said they require a 6am breakfast, then 630am breakfast. Which means the innkeeper is up at what time? Disrupting the entire house! (We have to think of our other guests)
DH would not relent, and simply said, "Sorry we can't do breakfast at that time" meanwhile remember we have two other rooms here NOT for this event, and in fact one if here for a funeral for their Mom.
The dude said to DH "But the children will need something in their tummy" and DH told him where the McDonalds drive through was that will be open at 6am or 630am for them. We had coffee out and they were like charging elephants - woke the entire house and stormed out. So considerate!
Last night DH took over at 530pm after working his "other" job, and after I was on my last raw nerve. By the time he said No to this early request this dude had called from his room 3 times, 2 of which DH took, and then once met him face to face. The 1pm check in arrived at 9pm. Another room 4pm check in arrived 830ish after calling and asking turn by turn directions and spending 15 minutes on the phone writing them down, slowly...hey they are in the car, nothing else to do right?
So after all that, we have three guests at the table for breakfast, only, enjoying the peace and quiet, sitting on the porch with a book and listening to the mockingbirds. The chaos is over (for this morning anyway)..
Oh my...it is these kinds of days that makes me glad we retired :) I am thinking about you. Hopefully with graduation over today, Sunday breakfast will be a bit smoother...we can only hope.

UPDATE:
So after all that, we have three guests at the table for breakfast, only, enjoying the peace and quiet, sitting on the porch with a book and listening to the mockingbirds. The chaos is over (for this morning anyway)..
Hey, remember my 'have to have brekkie at 4:30AM' family? He and son going fishing, mother & daughter sleeping in. So, same family wanted to eat at 2 different times and one of them was before the crack of dawn!
Anyhoo...unbeknownst to us the whole family left at 4:30 and trashed the kitchen on the way out. Cereal all over the place, glasses taken from cupboards, juice spilt, coffee spilt, all the milk gone.
Poor Gomez comes out at 6:30 AM to prep for the day and has to clean the whole kitchen. Then we had no milk for anyone else. All the other guests were fed and on their way by 8:30 but we waited breakfast another hour for the mother & daughter not knowing they were gone.

UPDATE:
Oh my...it is these kinds of days that makes me glad we retired :) I am thinking about you. Hopefully with graduation over today, Sunday breakfast will be a bit smoother...we can only hope.
catlady said:
Just got in from freshening the rooms, one room has pulled the sofa bed apart and there are teensy pair of jocks in the room and a Goofy toothbrush! So they obv had an additional body in that room. The rooms are all trashed, no one made their bed and left water bottles on every surface. What a mess.
I ask, will people perish without these stinkin' water bottles by the dozen? I call them bah bahs, we have water, and in fact in this B&B it is actually running water too! DOH!
I have a sign up sheet for two seating tomorrow and no one has put their name on any of them. HATE graduation weekends, hate them hate them! But alas, it helps pay the bills, it is a necessary evil in May.

UPDATE:
catlady said:
Just got in from freshening the rooms, one room has pulled the sofa bed apart and there are teensy pair of jocks in the room and a Goofy toothbrush! So they obv had an additional body in that room. The rooms are all trashed, no one made their bed and left water bottles on every surface. What a mess.
I ask, will people perish without these stinkin' water bottles by the dozen? I call them bah bahs, we have water, and in fact in this B&B it is actually running water too! DOH!
I have a sign up sheet for two seating tomorrow and no one has put their name on any of them. HATE graduation weekends, hate them hate them! But alas, it helps pay the bills, it is a necessary evil in May.
Water bottle city here and they've gone out for more. Still haven't gotten to the rooms.

Just may be the 'crazy' weekend!
One honeymoon couple who told us early that they would most likely not be up for breakfast. Nice. (fixed it just in case...now it is in the trash!) Still no sounds from that room... 1 hr before check out. Ugh.
Have one family here for a HS graduation. Came in last night to register & use the facilities and off to the event. At no time did they say 'no breakfast tomorrow when I told them the breakfast time & review of any food problems. Wife stated she was an early riser and would take a stroll in the am. Fine. This morning at 3 minutes till end of breakfast, they show up just to say they aren't eating. They have plans for the whole day. Great - why didn't you say so yesterday?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I have also had a mad morning! 24 for breakfast (26 tomorro)
kitchen looked like a bomb had hit it! bottle neck at the buffet and everyone wanted to sit in threes together when most of our tables are for 2. also room 2 said on checking in that she had aranged with my dad to have an extra bed in her room for her other son when he came (he hadn't told anyone and I had already promised the extra bed to another room. So I was trying to borrow one and it has been mad. The fridge is full to capacity and I have just about run out of single duvet covers and I have 7 rooms comming in. On top of this we get an emergancy call from my chamber maid's co driver that her partner Vidas has had a funny turn (he has a dicky heart) and has been rushed to hosptial in cambridge (this is about 6 hours drive away and she doesn't drive) So she may need the day off tomorro to see him. it is going to be bonkers! at least only 7 rooms comming in on Sunday if it comes to it I will just have to do them all myself
rolleyes.gif

One honeymoon couple who told us early that they would most likely not be up for breakfast. Nice. (fixed it just in case...now it is in the trash!) Still no sounds from that room... 1 hr before check out. Ugh.
Have one family here for a HS graduation. Came in last night to register & use the facilities and off to the event. At no time did they say 'no breakfast tomorrow when I told them the breakfast time & review of any food problems. Wife stated she was an early riser and would take a stroll in the am. Fine. This morning at 3 minutes till end of breakfast, they show up just to say they aren't eating. They have plans for the whole day. Great - why didn't you say so yesterday?
This is why I try to remember to pin them to the wall about breakfast. (I don't always remember, tho!) 'Are you eating? What time? Are you sure?'
(Altho not that aggressively. But, I've thought about actually pinning them to the wall when I hear, 'We don't know, it depends on what we eat for dinner.' Really? Then your breakfast depends on what I have leftover from dinner! Yeesh.)

This is why I try to remember to pin them to the wall about breakfast. (I don't always remember, tho!) 'Are you eating? What time? Are you sure?'
(Altho not that aggressively. But, I've thought about actually pinning them to the wall when I hear, 'We don't know, it depends on what we eat for dinner.' Really? Then your breakfast depends on what I have leftover from dinner! Yeesh.)
Pinning them to Yes or No about breakfast may be as difficult as finding out what they will or WON'T eat, which is usually my problem. Most of my guests do come down to eat. Today just seems like a very odd day that no one ate.
And on top of it, my honeymooners are still here - almost an hour past check out... and she just came down to pay me cash after telling me yesterday that the card she gave me when she booked was no longer valid. Luckily I have no one checking in to that room today but if they do not skedaddle soon I will be getting my pitch fork to hurry them along.

Sadly, graduation weekends here means nothing to my biz. Most at the U 10 miles up the road are locals - there are enough hotel rooms in that town for the imports. The BIG U up the road has never brought me much. 45 min is too far for most I guess plus there have been a LOT of new hotels open up there in the last 5 years.

Pinning them to Yes or No about breakfast may be as difficult as finding out what they will or WON'T eat, which is usually my problem. Most of my guests do come down to eat. Today just seems like a very odd day that no one ate.
And on top of it, my honeymooners are still here - almost an hour past check out... and she just came down to pay me cash after telling me yesterday that the card she gave me when she booked was no longer valid. Luckily I have no one checking in to that room today but if they do not skedaddle soon I will be getting my pitch fork to hurry them along.
Yikes! Maybe you should have a special honeymoon package with a late checkout that is paid for!
We have had mornings where no one eats and they never tell us in advance. It' an awful waste of time and food. If they're not going to eat, I can sleep! But they all think someone else is eating so no big deal.

I had a call for a package I am promoting and after booking she called back to double confirm what she is getting and that DOES include dinner both nights right? Wrong. I actually don't make ANYTHING on this package, I promote it to bring in guests. The Sunset Dinner cruise is $45+tax, the murder mystery dinner cruise is $50+tax per person. So if they choose that I actually lose $10!
They take and take and take some more. I told her I am doing all the leg work and organizing it, adding flowers to your room etc, we do NOT mark it up. DOH!
poke.gif

I had a call for a package I am promoting and after booking she called back to double confirm what she is getting and that DOES include dinner both nights right? Wrong. I actually don't make ANYTHING on this package, I promote it to bring in guests. The Sunset Dinner cruise is $45+tax, the murder mystery dinner cruise is $50+tax per person. So if they choose that I actually lose $10!
They take and take and take some more. I told her I am doing all the leg work and organizing it, adding flowers to your room etc, we do NOT mark it up. DOH!
poke.gif
I had a call earlier this week for a package for a wedding gift - and the check arrived today! She is giving her sister 2-night w/breakfast, a packed lunch for 2, and a dinner for 2. Did not even flinch at the price! No haggle, just OK. Woohoo!!

poke.gif
Some think that just because breakfast is included, so are the other meals... I can not believe people are that simple minded.

Some think we should be paying THEM to stay with us. LOL
My other 5 rooms have been gone ALL day, but it has most of the day to freshen and clean for the most part, I did zip out for a bit and have one new room who are here because they love it and want to be. (Shall I pick favorites? Hey these aren't kids, why not! I pick them! They are my favorite of the weekend). :)

Yikes! Maybe you should have a special honeymoon package with a late checkout that is paid for!
We have had mornings where no one eats and they never tell us in advance. It' an awful waste of time and food. If they're not going to eat, I can sleep! But they all think someone else is eating so no big deal.
You may be right, this is the 2nd time in the last month that I could not get people to leave. I either need to have a extend your stay package (late check out) or make my late check out charge more 'in their face'. I must get on it!

poke.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
poke.gif
Mark it up. Either a % or a flat $ amount. If a guest can choose between 2 'events' I always price it at the higher one. (I know my luck with these things.) If they choose the lower one I can refund or make some money. Legwork requires payment. Tracking down the purveyors to make the reservations takes time.

Back