GRADUATIONS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
GRRRRRR! When will we ever learn. Change this room cancel that room - when they book so many rooms there needs to be policy in place - if you book more than 3 rooms it is a 30 day cancellation or change fee.

Yep - that is what we do, started it a couple of years ago. I also have it where payment is due in full 30 days prior, no cancel, no changes - period. It works - well at least so far...

I never learn. I never do. They come out for a tour and then it only gets worse from there, from a whole house, to just two rooms in the end. Well almost a whole house, they had one left over. I repeat, I never ever learn. I must love the abuse. And the phone calls - oh please keep calling me during breakfast and check outs.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GRRRRRR! When will we ever learn. Change this room cancel that room - when they book so many rooms there needs to be policy in place - if you book more than 3 rooms it is a 30 day cancellation or change fee.
We have the same problem with graduations. I just dodged the bullet this year by the step son finally canceling. We have a very nice couple from last year in one suite, and then rebooked older mom and daughter who is parent of student in the other. I have clearly confimed that the room has a king bed twice to the ladies. Hope they have listened...I hate graduation.
Riki

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have confirmed this family over and over. This is it, if they call and say "ohhhh we can only stay one night" they are in for it!
You can expect the worst. I will after this year start what the others here do. Pay at time of booking. 30 day cancellation notice. Period.
Riki

I have confirmed this family over and over. This is it, if they call and say "ohhhh we can only stay one night" they are in for it!
So from 5 rooms, 3 nights each we are down to 2 rooms for 2 nights, so 15 room nights down to 4. I am an idiot.

For grad weekend we have a 30 day cancel AND a deposit that is non-refund at the 30 days. Same if you book more than 3 rooms. Guess who forgot to charge it? Right, not me. But, yesterday they reconfirmed their intent to stay all 3 days in 4 rooms.

Well, our graduation was yesterday.
And here I am, with a rant...The sweet little old lady who cleaned out my amenity basket.
I know, it's the cost of doing business, and plenty of guests take nothing, and I even pointed out the shower cap to her, and she was alone in the room so (theorectically) breakfast was cheaper, and amenities don't cost THAT much, and I'd have given her a discount which now I have...
But I know half of the amenities went to someone not even staying here.
If I'd said, sure, take it all, it wouldn't matter. Instead I am irked that my generosity has been abused.
And I know, further, that this is just life as an innkeeper so, so what?
But I'm still bugged.
So here I am.
I don't rant much, but today's my day.
=/
Kk.

And here I am, with a rant...The sweet little old lady who cleaned out my amenity basket.
I know, it's the cost of doing business, and plenty of guests take nothing, and I even pointed out the shower cap to her, and she was alone in the room so (theorectically) breakfast was cheaper, and amenities don't cost THAT much, and I'd have given her a discount which now I have...
If I'd said, sure, take it all, it wouldn't matter. Instead I am irked that my generosity has been abused.
But I'm still bugged.
So here I am.
=/
Kk..
You have to watch those sweet little old ladies like a hawk. I know, my mother is one of them. She's one of those McD's ladies who takes all the sugar and catsup. Why? It's not like she's poor. Who knows, maybe it's because she was poor and hasn't gotten over it.
Even tho it all evens out, probably with less getting used than you budget for, it still rankles when one person takes everything.

But I'm still bugged.
So here I am.
=/
Kk..
You have to watch those sweet little old ladies like a hawk. I know, my mother is one of them. She's one of those McD's ladies who takes all the sugar and catsup. Why? It's not like she's poor. Who knows, maybe it's because she was poor and hasn't gotten over it.
Even tho it all evens out, probably with less getting used than you budget for, it still rankles when one person takes everything.
We had one here who left a jacket behind. It was a man's suit jacket, in the living room, so I looked in the pocket to see if a business card or something was there. What I found were several toothbrushes, toothpastes and individual dental flosses that I kept in a bureau drawer upstairs for guests who forgot theirs. Not out in the open. The jacket belonged to a little old lady who moaned mightily about the stairs but managed to pull herself up to the second landing to rifle the drawers.
Her son called to pick up the jacket - she was travelling with them. I emptied the pockets before I returned it, and moved the extra amenities behind closed doors, where they can be requested if needed.

So from 5 rooms, 3 nights each we are down to 2 rooms for 2 nights, so 15 room nights down to 4. I am an idiot..
You are NOT an idiot...you're just an eternal optimist!
This will be our third year here for Graduation, and we've had the same issues every year. Luckily I saw what type of people we were dealing with after the first year and changed the policy...30 days notice for 3 or more rooms, 50% deposit made with a VALID credit card that doesn't expire before the date of stay...these parents all want to be first in line so they book a year out, then they drop like flies as the day itself gets closer.
I still haven't figured out why they all just want Saturday night either...the grad ceremony is Sunday morning at 11 AM, factor in the nice dinner and you're not hitting the road for home until after 4 or 5 pm, and the majority of them have a 4-5 hour drive ahead of them...if it were me I'd want to stay and relax that second night. But then if it were me I'd not be cancelling in the first place!

Back