Grand Canyon, etc.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Joey's post on Niagara Falls got me thinking that I should ask all of you for your advice on a trip out west I'm taking next month. I'm hopscotching across visiting friends and relatives in Missouri, Texas, and Tucson, but once I get to the Grand Canyon my itinerary isn't set. At this point I'm hitting the highlights... Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Four Corners, and Mesa Verde.
Any advice on places I should stop at (or skip!) in Arizona or southern Colorado? Any great places to stay near any of those, or between Mesa Verde and Ohio? I'll be traveling with the ds8x2, so child-friendly places or things to do are preferred!
Thanks!
=)
Kk.

If nearby go to the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Beautiful. I have a pitcher we bought at the Jolly Glass Blowers in Colorado Springs but although I found a couple references to it, does not seem to be there any longer. The Arch in St Louis is very educational with a museum in the base. McD & Burger King have restaurants in paddlewheelers on the river. Something different. If going through Okla City, the Cowboy Hall of Fame is excellent. The kids will probably like all of these. (Maybe bored with the Garden, but my kids liked it.)

Grand Canyon in Nov bring your parkas! :) And wear orange, it is hunting season. I remember eating pine nuts right off the trees in Nov there. I hope you can enjoy the green chile burgers of New Mexico and show the boys some of the Indian Nations there. Have a great time!

I took the loop a few years ago from Las Vegas, did Hoover Dam (skip the tour inside the dam...just a bunch of concrete), overnight at Grand Canyon (one of the only things I use the word awesome for), Mesa Verde (wonderful), Bryce Canyon Nat. Park (wonderful) and of all these, one of the most memorable was Santa Fe. It's WONDERFUL to stroll the old downtown. Some great bars, too ;-)
(Yes, I use "wonderful" plentifully, when it's needed, but reserve "awesome" for the Grand Canyon, inside the Lincoln Memorial, and the Great Pyramid.)

Don't forget the Painted Desert, AZ beautiful natural wonder and it is Navajo Nation - territory of both Navajo and Hopi.
What a great trip... as JB said bring winter gear... burrr.

Durango, Colorado is beautiful. We looked at buying an inn there and there are several B&Bs. Short drive to Mesa Verde. It will be chilly out West at that time! Have fun!

What a grand trip-would give you advise but we've never ventured there -YET!! have a fabulous time!

We flew when we went to CO. So can't tell you anything between OH and there. But Loved MESA VERDE!!! And yes, be prepared for snow. Durango was nice. Don't know if the train rides still run in Nov or not but that would be a great thing to do.

Go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Same canyon, fewer tourists. If you're planning on staying in any of the National Park Lodges, you will need to make reservations way in advance.

Back