Grandma!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree I just looked at the recommended restaurants in that area from the links Swirt provided. Looks like some great dining up there!.
My daughter suggested a couple of places. Not sure SHE will join us, new baby and all, but depending on how many days I am there, she recommeded a place called Rosalie's (not sure if that one showed up, I haven't clicked the link yet). She said the folks they bought their house from suggested that one as a 'celebration' restaurant. And, heck, I'll be celebrating! She said there's a Frecnch restaurant called JoElle's (could be Joie Elle for all I know, that's how bad my French is!) and I would like that, I think. I think she said Sweetwater Cafe is close to where she lives.
I may have to get over there before the baby comes, tho. I DO have to see the new house after all. I'll try a few places when I'm there. Probably not until Jan, tho.
Hey Swirt, do restaurants close in your neck of the woods in the winter or is it pretty much year-round? Sorry, I'm clueless about where she's living right now!
Restaurants close to me close, but Skaneateles is much closer to the city of Syracuse so I think many more of the restaurants there make a year round go of it. It really is a cute little town with lots of well-to-do people. The town re-enacts Dickens' Christmas Carol
I like the Blue Water Grill for its location and Doug's Fish Fry. I've also had Dinner on the Judge Ben Wiles nice cruise and such. I've heard good things about the dining at the Sherwood Inn but never been there. Never been to the Krebs either but heard good things.
I've stayed and eaten at the Sherwood Inn, many moons ago when we lived in Syracuse. It was very nice, and it appears that they're doing regional cuisine now. When I lived there, our favorite regional cuisine was hot wings and beer, but I suspect their menu is more upscale.
We did the dinner cruise once, also - the cruise was nice but I remember the food as just okay.

Bree I just looked at the recommended restaurants in that area from the links Swirt provided. Looks like some great dining up there!.
My daughter suggested a couple of places. Not sure SHE will join us, new baby and all, but depending on how many days I am there, she recommeded a place called Rosalie's (not sure if that one showed up, I haven't clicked the link yet). She said the folks they bought their house from suggested that one as a 'celebration' restaurant. And, heck, I'll be celebrating! She said there's a Frecnch restaurant called JoElle's (could be Joie Elle for all I know, that's how bad my French is!) and I would like that, I think. I think she said Sweetwater Cafe is close to where she lives.
I may have to get over there before the baby comes, tho. I DO have to see the new house after all. I'll try a few places when I'm there. Probably not until Jan, tho.
Hey Swirt, do restaurants close in your neck of the woods in the winter or is it pretty much year-round? Sorry, I'm clueless about where she's living right now!
Restaurants close to me close, but Skaneateles is much closer to the city of Syracuse so I think many more of the restaurants there make a year round go of it. It really is a cute little town with lots of well-to-do people. The town re-enacts Dickens' Christmas Carol
I like the Blue Water Grill for its location and Doug's Fish Fry. I've also had Dinner on the Judge Ben Wiles nice cruise and such. I've heard good things about the dining at the Sherwood Inn but never been there. Never been to the Krebs either but heard good things.
I've stayed and eaten at the Sherwood Inn, many moons ago when we lived in Syracuse. It was very nice, and it appears that they're doing regional cuisine now. When I lived there, our favorite regional cuisine was hot wings and beer, but I suspect their menu is more upscale.
We did the dinner cruise once, also - the cruise was nice but I remember the food as just okay.
muirford said:
Ooooo, hot wings & beer, sign me up!

I think that is true of most dinner cruises...the food is okay...you do them for the ambiance more than anything else.

I wonder what kind of gifts folks like right now for babies? I am so out of the loop on this? Do you have some ideas for your daughter & sil??

muirford said:
My favorite wings joint ever is in Rochester, unfortunately - Jeremiah's on Monroe Avenue. Crispy and the milds are tasty. DH can eat the hot ones but not me. My mouth is watering...

muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Hot wings? Are we talking buffalo wings? Is this close to Buffalo?
As you can see I have never been to that side of NY in my life! I get on here and read all these things and want to hit the road! Plug in the GPS and goooooooooooo...

muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
As you can see I have never been to that side of NY in my life! I get on here and read all these things and want to hit the road! Plug in the GPS and goooooooooooo...
Roughly 2 hours from Buffalo .... but yah Buffalo wings and hot wings are the same critter.

I wonder what kind of gifts folks like right now for babies? I am so out of the loop on this? Do you have some ideas for your daughter & sil??
I hadn't even thought about a gift! I'm a quilt behind for the last baby. And 2 quilts behind for the 2 weddings. I wrote a book for the first baby and was going to write one for the 2nd one and never got to it. I guess it depends on what flavor she gets...if it's a girl then the gifts will flow from everyone who has patiently waited for ANYONE on her husband's side of the fam to have a girl. Me, I don't care what she gets as long as it's happy and healthy. But girl baby presents would be easier to get as she doesn't have any girl baby clothes.
Her husband picked up a stroller at the 'exchange shop' the other day. (Euphemism for the shed at the dump.) It was a really good brand and he couldn't resist. Bugaboo or something like. The one you can take into the woods with you if you run x-c (which they do). Ha, a 4x4 stroller.
I think she gave away most of her stuff. I know she really liked the baby papoose thingy so she could just strap the baby on and go about her day. I tried that...holy cow! It took a brain surgeon to figure out how to get the thing on and then sling the baby into it!

muirford said:
My favorite wings joint ever is in Rochester, unfortunately - Jeremiah's on Monroe Avenue. Crispy and the milds are tasty. DH can eat the hot ones but not me. My mouth is watering...
muirford said:
My favorite place is Tortilla Flat. Unfortunately the one we really liked in Burlington, VT closed. I saw the exact same sign in Portland when we first moved here, tho. So I may have to go there and see if it IS the same ownership or if they at least have the recipe. Crispy wings and great hot sauce. Celery, bleu cheese & Rolling Rock beer. Man. I gotta stop this line of thought...

I hadn't even thought about a gift! I'm a quilt behind for the last baby. And 2 quilts behind for the 2 weddings. I wrote a book for the first baby and was going to write one for the 2nd one and never got to it. I guess it depends on what flavor she gets...if it's a girl then the gifts will flow from everyone who has patiently waited for ANYONE on her husband's side of the fam to have a girl. Me, I don't care what she gets as long as it's happy and healthy. But girl baby presents would be easier to get as she doesn't have any girl baby clothes.
Her husband picked up a stroller at the 'exchange shop' the other day. (Euphemism for the shed at the dump.) It was a really good brand and he couldn't resist. Bugaboo or something like. The one you can take into the woods with you if you run x-c (which they do). Ha, a 4x4 stroller.
I think she gave away most of her stuff. I know she really liked the baby papoose thingy so she could just strap the baby on and go about her day. I tried that...holy cow! It took a brain surgeon to figure out how to get the thing on and then sling the baby into it!
All this stuff nowadays looks like high tech compared to my stuff...back in the day. :)
I wonder if people still have baby showers these days....

muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Roughly 2 hours from Buffalo .... but yah Buffalo wings and hot wings are the same critter.
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
I am just wondering why they are not being called that by the posts here. Is that a term you use in the NE? Hot wings? I have only ever called the buffalo wings. See I need to get up there.

muirford said:
muirford said:
My favorite place is Tortilla Flat. Unfortunately the one we really liked in Burlington, VT closed. I saw the exact same sign in Portland when we first moved here, tho. So I may have to go there and see if it IS the same ownership or if they at least have the recipe. Crispy wings and great hot sauce. Celery, bleu cheese & Rolling Rock beer. Man. I gotta stop this line of thought...
Bree said:
muirford said:
The orig are fried and crsipy, altho I make them in the oven on a grilling pan so all the grease drops down and they crisp up that way. I looked and it said in wiki that locally they are not called Buffalo wings, but wings, hot wings. See I learned something totally useless today. TRIVIA.

muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
I am just wondering why they are not being called that by the posts here. Is that a term you use in the NE? Hot wings? I have only ever called the buffalo wings. See I need to get up there.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
SOME would say the names are interchangeable. Those in BUFFALO would strongly disagree!
wink_smile.gif
You'll see them on the menu at a lot of places as either. But you get the same thing. Some places call what they serve by some sort of 'branded' name (like you get the big onion thingy at Outback and it's called a 'Bloomin' Onion'. Same thing at Bugaboo (popular name in this thread I see) is called a 'Bunyan Onion').
Some serve with the celery & bleu cheese others don't.

muirford said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
SOME would say the names are interchangeable. Those in BUFFALO would strongly disagree!
wink_smile.gif
You'll see them on the menu at a lot of places as either. But you get the same thing. Some places call what they serve by some sort of 'branded' name (like you get the big onion thingy at Outback and it's called a 'Bloomin' Onion'. Same thing at Bugaboo (popular name in this thread I see) is called a 'Bunyan Onion').
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
Okay now I am insulted.
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif
BTW Did I ever mention I live with Ricky Ricardo? Some days his high tech brain and down under mind wires get crossed.
We went to McDonalds as they have the Wizard of Oz collectable happy meal toys (madame alexander) right now. They have a nice little side salad with grape tomatoes and baby greens for $1. I asked what type of dressing - remember RANCH is king here...
She replied (Oh and it was all Paul Newman brand, so I almost cried over it!) ranch, low fat italian, low fat caesar and low fat ranch.
So Dh says "I will have blue cheese"
So the McDonald's clerk is LOOKING AT HIM LIKE THE IDIOT! Then the whole place just starts laughing.
WHAT? he says, I feel like blue cheese!!
CONK! Goes the big rubber mallet over his head. He ended up with caesar with Paul Newman in a caesar outfit.
I ended up with the scarecrow and the girls got Good Witch Glinda and a very cute munchkin. We already have the tin man.

I used an "Over the shoulder baby holder" with my son, he lived in that thing until he was almost two and it was black so everyone thought I was just carrying a big black purse on my hip....easy to put on, it have one big strap, just put strap over your head/shoulder, takes a little getting used to, you feel like the baby might fall out, but they don't, you just have to get used to teh feeling of carrying it and the beauty is you don't have the weight in one spot all the time, you can switch shoulders and hips easily without dealing with straps and clips...
The one gift that all the girls end up thanking me for down the road are nursing pads, they never think they'll need them, and then they are always like," Oh now I know why she gave me those!! Thank goodness!"

Another gifty idea, what about a GC for a photo shoot? Then everyone can see baby in all of his/her new outfits!
wink_smile.gif

Another gifty idea, what about a GC for a photo shoot? Then everyone can see baby in all of his/her new outfits!
wink_smile.gif

inncogneeto said:
wink_smile.gif
I like that. They could have a family photo with all of them. Cuz you know that new baby isn't going to have but maybe 2-3 photos/year compared with the older siblings' photo albums!
I have a pic taken with each of them every year. They sit with Grammie in a rocking chair. I've done it for 8 years now...

Back