Grass!!! Grrrr

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
We had such a mild, rainy winter that before I realized it the grass was well over my ankles - some places the birds fertilize extra dilligently it was almost to my knees. My lawn kid has not been seen. So today I drag out the mower, set it to the highest setting and cut the side yard that guests see as they come in. It is not a big area, but it is not even and my darling daughters did some landscaping a few years ago making a border around trees and bushes with rocks that I now must avoid with the mower. Came in telling DH my knees and back hurt, I am done. He wanted to sharpen the lawn mower blade so I left it by the deck for him. (He actually had the nerve to suggest I now lower the blade and go over what I had just cut. He is alive because he is not worth doing time for.)
He sharpened the blade and then decided I needed to test it out on the back yard. He is so thoughtful. This was after I had prior to doing the mowing I did earlier, gathered all the branches that fell off the tree that is the middle of the property line - all branches blown off of it during any storm seem to manage to fall into MY yard. Yes, my neighbor is a lot younger than I am and he knows DH can no longer do anything. So as I am halfway through the back yard kvetching with every step, the lawn boy appears! I let him finish, told HIM to lower the blade and go over what I did. He also did the hedges and edging. Told him to come back in 2 weeks and be prepared to pull that
potty-mouth.gif
vines and poison ivy that I cannot manage to kill. He was hired because he is not affected by my "cash crop" poison ivy. The yard looks great - but my back & knees are still protesting!

Our lawn looks like hell too. Our weather has been so wet, we haven't had more than 1 day without rain and it's too wet to cut still. We even got a brand new John Deere and can't use it. I've got my fingers crossed that by tomorrow afternoon we won't have rain and it'll be dry enough to cut. I hope our guests are understanding with how it looks!
K - sorry the whole work load gets thrown at you. Rest those knees!

Thanks. Problem was I could not decide who I was angry with - neighbor for the way the branches mysteriously manage to fall into my yard, lawn boy for not coming over and doing his job (he has been doing it for at least 2 years now), or DH for not hearing me when I said I was done for the day. Decided all the above. Lawn boy saved his job tonight. And I do not pay him "kid wages", I pay $10 per hour or $20 a cutting.

Im working slowly but surely to make our property more and more low maintenance if that makes any sense! I want to get all the front done properly as one part is tarmac, one part the crapiest flags ever and the other side the builders just put flags down no concrete underneath just laid flat on the soil!

Im working slowly but surely to make our property more and more low maintenance if that makes any sense! I want to get all the front done properly as one part is tarmac, one part the crapiest flags ever and the other side the builders just put flags down no concrete underneath just laid flat on the soil!.
If I were to win the lottery, the yard would be leveled, the blue spruce removed (its roots are what makes the yard lumpt), and it would be done in boxes of plants surrounded by a surface that does not have to be mowed.

We aerated and fertilized and our grass is going crazy too. Fortuanately, I have a guy that mows, blows and edges.
Living in the woods creates a whole other set of yard challenges.
I've been out raking our pond. Yes, raking. After the flood waters receded, we had a lot of debris and aquatic weeds all around the edges. We also have a crew removing dead trees. We've lost over 20 large ones....very sad.
They were already stressed from last year's drought and now some of them appear to have a disease called "oak cankor" where they die from the inside out, so you don't know that there's a problem until it's too late.
My son came over and helped me to get my tractor unstuck from what I thought was going to be its permanent resting place. I was clearing debris from one of our walking trails and hit a soft spot and >plunk< down I went. It had been sitting in the woods for almost a month. I'm going to wait for things to dry up a little before I try clearing trails again.

I've already mowed the 2 yards twice so far. We've had so much rain that I haven't been able to get out and put Roundup on the large gravel driveway and parking area on the second house. It almost looks liek a lawn at this point! Ack! Spent an entire day weeding last week and now it's too wet from big storms to get out there and finish the job.
I love Spring...but the first big clean up is always the toughest!

Back