Gratuity Envelopes - Your view?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have gratuity envelopes, but we have had the occasional tip left in the room. (Largest so far was $50!) I have part-time contract cleaning help and I pay her $10/hr (she set the rate). She gets lunch every day she's here too. Since we work together on the cleaing, any tips left when she has been here are split between us. Heck, I am working just as hard on cleaning these houses!

I think they are just fine if left in the appropriate place, not on the bed.
tounge_smile.gif

We have tip envelopes and I never see the inside of them - whoever cleans the room gets the tip. I have two part-time housekeepers who do the cleaning almost exclusively. I would guess that maybe half of guests tip? The previous owner had them also - I have no reason to give them up and the fact is they make my housekeepers happy. That more than makes up for the few guests who might find them tacky - sorry if you feel they are, but hopefully you'll find other things to get excited about.
My housekeepers make a very good wage - $11 and $13 per hour. I guarantee they make more here that at the local 4-diamond hotel and I'm pretty sure I'm a nicer boss. They work all year round and I find things for them to do in the slow months to keep them happy. The first two years we were here our housekeepers made a better salary from the B&B than we did. I would never do it without them.
The deal with tipping is that you usually don't tip the owner - whether it's a hair salon, massage therapist, or B&B. Owners are presumed to make all the money although we all know that's not entirely accurate. Since we have housekeepers, we have the envelopes. If people hand us a tip directly, we give it to our housekeepers..
"That more than makes up for the few guests who might find them tacky - sorry if you feel they are, but hopefully you'll find other things to get excited about."
Let me clarify, I stated earlier that I find it tacky in a B&B in the owner- occupied and no staff realm. The bigger the place, the less tacky, but I still think if even close to a majority of guests felt that a "tip" wasn't already built into a B&B's room rate or automatically forthcoming like at the other business types mentioned, more guests would leave them, even for those not putting envelopes out.
I'm not sure what the last part means.
We tip when staying at hotels and at B&Bs, but we've both had customer service jobs for decades, so know what its like. I'm sure there also are plenty of people that don't leave anything for a hotel housekeeper.
"My housekeepers make a very good wage - $11 and $13 per hour."
Depending on the local cost of living, that might not be as good of a wage as one might think. I'm not illustrating this to single you out in the slightest but food for thought on how expensive it is live these days. Those tips gotta really help I'm sure.
Even at $13 per hour and offering a 40 hour work week, thats only $27k per year. That's just a few dollars over the per household member median income level.
If living in San Francisco, New York, San Diego, Santa Fe, Los Angeles, etc.. thats just getting by without any frills and probably no chance at home ownership.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The bigger the place, the less tacky, but I still think if even close to a majority of guests felt that a "tip" wasn't already built into a B&B's room rate or automatically forthcoming like at the other business types mentioned, more guests would leave them, even for those not putting envelopes out.
Maybe I should ask if everyone who thinks the envelopes are tacky - and there were several more besides you, Tim - also thinks they are tacky in hotels. 'Cause otherwise I don't really understand the issue. If it's employees vs. no employees, B&Bs have employees, too. If it's room rates, mine are pretty comparable to the local hotels - more than the Comfort Inn, less than the well-known independent about 1/4 mile away with jacuzzis.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Depending on the local cost of living, that might not be as good of a wage as one might think. I'm not illustrating this to single you out in the slightest but food for thought on how expensive it is live these days.
Are you kidding me? Of course I know what I pay to live and what the cost of living is here. I also know enough to know what competitive wages in my location are for a part-time job that doesn't require a college degree. My competitors' pay less than I do for worse working conditions and hours. I know B&Bs in seasonal areas with lots of competition for a smaller pool of employees may have to pay more, like SS did, but that's not my situation. Nor am I in a city. Hopefully no one is looking for a part-time housekeeping job as a path to home ownership - it won't get you there, nor should it be expected to. My housekeepers are generally students looking for some extra money or mature women who like a part-time job that doesn't interfere with their kids' schedule. I can provide that at a decent salary. I don't have high turnover - one housekeeper has been with us for seven years and I just replaced my graduated college student with a sophomore-to-be who just gave notice on one of her other two summer jobs because this is better - better pay, better hours, better conditions.

I agree that gratuity envelopes are "tacky and presumptive." I feel the same way about hotels. I feel it's all part of what I'm paying for in the room rate and seems like an attempt to just nickle and dime a person. I'm a generous tipper otherwise, just feel that those envelopes and in some cases things like tip jars are out of line. Only my opinion. It's interesting to hear from those who do use them that it works well and makes the housekeepers happier..
I could not have said this better. I am offended at tip jars.
I called Mcallaster Delli corprate and told them I was offended they had a tip line of their reciept. To me they are a fast food place. Their repsonse was their machine was set up that was and they cannot change it. We all know that is not true. They just ask the cc company to take it off and it is going. He must have thought I fell of the turnup truck yesterday.
I would not have them they to me tacky in an other wise classy place. This too is only my opinon. If you charge enough pay you help enough. This is not targeted at anyone personal.

Count me in as one of those who think that tip envelopes are extremely tacky. If guests feel a tip is warranted, then they will leave it. Having an envelope there is just presumptuous. I've never seen these in any classy inns I've been in.

We have tip envelopes and I never see the inside of them - whoever cleans the room gets the tip. I have two part-time housekeepers who do the cleaning almost exclusively. I would guess that maybe half of guests tip? The previous owner had them also - I have no reason to give them up and the fact is they make my housekeepers happy. That more than makes up for the few guests who might find them tacky - sorry if you feel they are, but hopefully you'll find other things to get excited about.
My housekeepers make a very good wage - $11 and $13 per hour. I guarantee they make more here that at the local 4-diamond hotel and I'm pretty sure I'm a nicer boss. They work all year round and I find things for them to do in the slow months to keep them happy. The first two years we were here our housekeepers made a better salary from the B&B than we did. I would never do it without them.
The deal with tipping is that you usually don't tip the owner - whether it's a hair salon, massage therapist, or B&B. Owners are presumed to make all the money although we all know that's not entirely accurate. Since we have housekeepers, we have the envelopes. If people hand us a tip directly, we give it to our housekeepers..
"That more than makes up for the few guests who might find them tacky - sorry if you feel they are, but hopefully you'll find other things to get excited about."
Let me clarify, I stated earlier that I find it tacky in a B&B in the owner- occupied and no staff realm. The bigger the place, the less tacky, but I still think if even close to a majority of guests felt that a "tip" wasn't already built into a B&B's room rate or automatically forthcoming like at the other business types mentioned, more guests would leave them, even for those not putting envelopes out.
I'm not sure what the last part means.
We tip when staying at hotels and at B&Bs, but we've both had customer service jobs for decades, so know what its like. I'm sure there also are plenty of people that don't leave anything for a hotel housekeeper.
"My housekeepers make a very good wage - $11 and $13 per hour."
Depending on the local cost of living, that might not be as good of a wage as one might think. I'm not illustrating this to single you out in the slightest but food for thought on how expensive it is live these days. Those tips gotta really help I'm sure.
Even at $13 per hour and offering a 40 hour work week, thats only $27k per year. That's just a few dollars over the per household member median income level.
If living in San Francisco, New York, San Diego, Santa Fe, Los Angeles, etc.. thats just getting by without any frills and probably no chance at home ownership.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The bigger the place, the less tacky, but I still think if even close to a majority of guests felt that a "tip" wasn't already built into a B&B's room rate or automatically forthcoming like at the other business types mentioned, more guests would leave them, even for those not putting envelopes out.
Maybe I should ask if everyone who thinks the envelopes are tacky - and there were several more besides you, Tim - also thinks they are tacky in hotels. 'Cause otherwise I don't really understand the issue. If it's employees vs. no employees, B&Bs have employees, too. If it's room rates, mine are pretty comparable to the local hotels - more than the Comfort Inn, less than the well-known independent about 1/4 mile away with jacuzzis.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Depending on the local cost of living, that might not be as good of a wage as one might think. I'm not illustrating this to single you out in the slightest but food for thought on how expensive it is live these days.
Are you kidding me? Of course I know what I pay to live and what the cost of living is here. I also know enough to know what competitive wages in my location are for a part-time job that doesn't require a college degree. My competitors' pay less than I do for worse working conditions and hours. I know B&Bs in seasonal areas with lots of competition for a smaller pool of employees may have to pay more, like SS did, but that's not my situation. Nor am I in a city. Hopefully no one is looking for a part-time housekeeping job as a path to home ownership - it won't get you there, nor should it be expected to. My housekeepers are generally students looking for some extra money or mature women who like a part-time job that doesn't interfere with their kids' schedule. I can provide that at a decent salary. I don't have high turnover - one housekeeper has been with us for seven years and I just replaced my graduated college student with a sophomore-to-be who just gave notice on one of her other two summer jobs because this is better - better pay, better hours, better conditions.
We're paying more than the hotels pay and at least $3/hour more than an 'easy' retail job would pay. It's tough to find someone who wants to do cleaning for more money than they get paid standing around chatting. Hmmm, wonder why. Our housekeeper is looking for other employment as she doesn't get more than 4 hours here every day. She hasn't found any other work that's paying anywhere near what she's getting here. And we round up at the end of the week to full hours and pay her at least 2 hours even if she's done in 1 hour. She's already told us that the last retail job she had would just send them home if it was slow and no caring that they TOLD them they had to work 6 hours and then sent them home after 1.
And, we have tip envelopes, too. I have no idea if she gets anything, I don't want to know. I told her at the get go that tips are sparse in B&B's so don't plan on them. She's never mentioned them since. And if I see the tip envelope is missing and she hasn't asked for another one, so be it. It's her responsibility, not mine. We have a nice note on the envelope more or less letting the guest know it's ok to tip and no one will be insulted by it should they choose to do so.
My initial reaction 5 years ago was 'no way' because it was my home. But, it's expected that you would tip the housekeeping staff if you stayed over at someone's summer home so why not here, too? Because no one knows those etiquette rules anymore I figured having the note would explain it to them and we did it as graciously as we could. If I noticed the housekeeper was putting the envelope on the bed or placing it prominently for a stayover room, I would move it back to where it belonged and tell her to not be in the guest's face. Many guests would just tuck the envelope into a drawer and that was what they thought about that so I did not want the housekeeper putting it back out.

I would want to know if the chambermaids are getting gratuity. I want to know everything that goes on in my business.
Who cares if there is an envelope on the dresser, I think people go overboard sometimes - sometimes....ha ha. What if there is a Gideon's Bible in a drawer, what if there is a meditation book on a table top? What if, now bear with me, there is a DOLL somewhere in the house! OH NO!
I think we dissect stuff to death on this forum. We over analyze every detail of our Inns and it makes those who HAVE gratuity envelopes feel bad, and those considering it feel bad. Look just remember everyone this forum is not the end all for answers. Half the subjects that innkeepers are adamant about on here are not even that important. We just like to talk.
regular_smile.gif

We do have gratutity envelopes placed non - obtrusively on the guest room bureaus. Sometimes gratuites are left and sometime not (Never with European travelers, but not sure why. Just a trend I have noticed.) I am one of the staff and that $ goes into my gas money fund when I get a little extra.

I would want to know if the chambermaids are getting gratuity. I want to know everything that goes on in my business.
Who cares if there is an envelope on the dresser, I think people go overboard sometimes - sometimes....ha ha. What if there is a Gideon's Bible in a drawer, what if there is a meditation book on a table top? What if, now bear with me, there is a DOLL somewhere in the house! OH NO!
I think we dissect stuff to death on this forum. We over analyze every detail of our Inns and it makes those who HAVE gratuity envelopes feel bad, and those considering it feel bad. Look just remember everyone this forum is not the end all for answers. Half the subjects that innkeepers are adamant about on here are not even that important. We just like to talk.
regular_smile.gif
If you know that your housekeeping staff is getting gratuities and they are on your payroll, you have to deduct state & federal income taxes from those tips and then kick in your share of the same taxes. It's easier and less expensive not to know. If the housekeeper wants to not report that income on her tax forms, that's her problem.

We do have gratutity envelopes placed non - obtrusively on the guest room bureaus. Sometimes gratuites are left and sometime not (Never with European travelers, but not sure why. Just a trend I have noticed.) I am one of the staff and that $ goes into my gas money fund when I get a little extra..
The Farmers Daughter said:
(Never with European travelers, but not sure why. Just a trend I have noticed.)
Tips are not nearly as ubiquitous in Europe.

re european guests - those are my only guests who occasionally left tips on the breakfast tables - now that was a fun surprise for me!

regular_smile.gif
You mean like these? Heh - heh!!!
med_MaPanekcollection1.jpg

Some hate 'em - my guests love them! Do not ask me why. This particular group was made by my late M-i-l which is why these have meaning. The others that are in rooms etc are loved by guests and not by me. But it is the same with the envelopes - some like them/some hate them. Some guests like them/some hate them. RULE OF THUMB - if it is YOUR INN do as you damned well please and provide "the Italian salute" up to the armpit to anyone who does not like what you are doing.
When an opinion is asked for - give yours and let it go. It is not an invitation to reguritate that opinion ad nauseum. The only time that is OK is when opinions are requested on how to make something better. And even then - it is OPINION to be taken or left.
People who are going to tip are going to tip whether there is a envelope or not - but the envelope with a name will let them know the innkeeper is not the cleaner. How else is the guest supposed to know? They do not want to insult the innkeeper but would like to show appreciation to the housekeeper.....

regular_smile.gif
If you know that your housekeeping staff is getting gratuities and they are on your payroll, you have to deduct state & federal income taxes from those tips and then kick in your share of the same taxes. It's easier and less expensive not to know. If the housekeeper wants to not report that income on her tax forms, that's her problem.
MooseTrax said:
No YOU don't THEY declare the tips on their tax return. It is up to them, it has nothing to do with you.

regular_smile.gif
MooseTrax said:
No YOU don't THEY declare the tips on their tax return. It is up to them, it has nothing to do with you.
This all had me wondering so I went to the IRS site. I think this means that if I know about the tips, because the employee told me, then I have to do something as does the employee:
Tips, like all other forms of compensation for services, such as salary, are includible and have always been includible in income and subject to Federal income tax. Tips are different from regular salary, however, because while an employer knows the amount of salary paid to an employee and can report that amount to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the employer may not know how much tip income an employee has received and may, therefore, be unable to report the amount of tip income to the IRS. Since 1966, tipped employees have been required to report the tip income that they receive to their employer. Reported tip income is included by the employer on the employee's W-2 Form. In addition, withholding with respect to tip income reported to the employer has been required since 1966.
If a tipped employee reports the full amount of tip income to the employer, these rules result in accurate information reports on the employee's income and withholding at a rate that reflects that income. Unfortunately, many taxpayers did not comply with these rules. In fact, the compliance rate with respect to tip income was estimated to be approximately 16 percent, which meant that many employees were reporting and paying tax on none or only a small portion of their tip income. To address this failure to report tip income, Congress enacted the tip reporting rules in 1982. These rules require employers to provide the IRS with information about their total sales and total tips that employees have reported.
If the total tips that employees have reported total at least eight percent of total sales, then no additional requirements are imposed. If, however, total tips reported by employees is less than eight percent of total sales, the employer must allocate the difference among its employees. The amount of tips allocated to each employee is reported to the employee and to the IRS. Of course, employees must pay tax only on the tips they actually receive, and if an employee can establish that he or she received less in tips than the employer reports to the IRS, then the employee would pay tax only on the smaller amount. Furthermore, the employer is not permitted to withhold taxes on any amount other than tips actually reported to the employer; the employer may not withhold on the eight percent of tips allocated to the employee.

tipped employees have been required to report the tip income that they receive to their employer. Reported tip income is included by the employer on the employee's W-2 Form. In addition, withholding with respect to tip income reported to the employer has been required since 1966.
If a tipped employee reports the full amount of tip income to the employer, these rules result in accurate information reports on the employee's income and withholding at a rate that reflects that income. Unfortunately, many taxpayers did not comply with these rules.
So in other words mail in a bottle of blood and first born as well. Sheesh. It is the don't ask don't tell rule. Employers NEVER report employees tips as income, I can say that from experience. I have never said sqwaut to any employer re tips to any employer. I will add, if the EMPLOYEE is a a tip based job and doesn't put something down, they IRS will automatically put a figure down for them like 13% or something similar which is a ridiculous amount for housekeepers. So they declare SOMETHING or the IRS will put their own amt down.

I agree that gratuity envelopes are "tacky and presumptive." I feel the same way about hotels. I feel it's all part of what I'm paying for in the room rate and seems like an attempt to just nickle and dime a person. I'm a generous tipper otherwise, just feel that those envelopes and in some cases things like tip jars are out of line. Only my opinion. It's interesting to hear from those who do use them that it works well and makes the housekeepers happier..
SecondAct said:
I agree that gratuity envelopes are "tacky and presumptive." I feel the same way about hotels. I feel it's all part of what I'm paying for in the room rate and seems like an attempt to just nickle and dime a person. I'm a generous tipper otherwise, just feel that those envelopes and in some cases things like tip jars are out of line. Only my opinion. It's interesting to hear from those who do use them that it works well and makes the housekeepers happier.
In hotels, the only one who makes any money is the owner of the chain...
Here the minimumwage is $7.50 hr.....I pay $12.00 to mine plus bonuses. I know housekeepers have worked for 14 years at the same place and barely making $10.00 hr....and they charge what..$195.00 per night ???
Nope, no tips included or at least paid down in the hotels I know of.
My housekeeper only received one time two tips...one was $2.00 and the other $5.00...she was as hapy as a kid on christmas morning...and she is in her 40's....

We do have gratutity envelopes placed non - obtrusively on the guest room bureaus. Sometimes gratuites are left and sometime not (Never with European travelers, but not sure why. Just a trend I have noticed.) I am one of the staff and that $ goes into my gas money fund when I get a little extra..
The Farmers Daughter said:
We do have gratutity envelopes placed non - obtrusively on the guest room bureaus. Sometimes gratuites are left and sometime not (Never with European travelers, but not sure why. Just a trend I have noticed.) I am one of the staff and that $ goes into my gas money fund when I get a little extra.
Since I am from germany I can tell you why...in Europe's prices, hotels, restaurants, bars,etc...the tips are included in the price and will be given to the server/housekeeper.
Everytime I visit and get told not to leave a tip or at least not a huge one ( round up to the next dollar) I feel very cheap. So, once Mom turns around, I leave a few bucks and know that someone will really appreciate it.

regular_smile.gif
Us, dissect stuff?? lol!
No dolls, teddy bears/stuffed animals, religious stuff of any kind, tip envelopes, wire coat hangers, doilies, or gnomes!!! hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!

regular_smile.gif
Us, dissect stuff?? lol!
No dolls, teddy bears/stuffed animals, religious stuff of any kind, tip envelopes, wire coat hangers, doilies, or gnomes!!! hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!
Samster said:
Us, dissect stuff?? lol!
Yeah, you sent the gnomes home with your innmates...
wink_smile.gif

Back