Great gluten free shortcut

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
We have a mother/daughter set of guests here for the weekend, both of whom have Celiac disease. Through searching online I found that Betty Crocker is now selling a pre-packaged gluten free cake mix (I think they have both a yellow and a chocolate cake). Their website has a lot of neat suggestions for things to make, I just finished making these and they are GOOD!
Also I did not realize that Rice Chex cereal is gluten free, I found on their website some sweet and savory versions of Chex mix.
These are good shortcuts for us as we don't get a ton of gluten free peeps here, I'd rather buy something like this and just have it for the whole house versus keeping all kinds of special flours on hand that I won't otherwise use.
Edited to add that I just finished serving the lemon muffins for breakfast and they were a big hit with everyone. A nice addition to the repertoire.

I keep Pamela's gluten-free baking mix - it's been easy to find since our local grocery store upgraded their organic aisle. It's the same deal - one-stop shopping for muffins, waffles, pancakes.

I just happened to see these in Wal mart the other day as well. I was surprised.

We have a great Hungarian Baker that does all kinds of specialty baking. Also Whole Foods is baking gluten free and other specialty baking as well.
RIki

Just finished up the open house and the gluten free gals (as they've been calling themselves!) made it a point to pull me aside and thank me so much for making just about every offering available to them.
We did a spicy Chex mix, corn chips with homemade salsa and guacamole, mixed nuts, a cheese ball with crackers (our grocery store had a specialty brand "Glutino" cracker available which I provided to them along with a separate cheese knife for just them to use) and a veggie tray with ranch dip. The only thing they couldn't have was the Christmas cookies, but I had extra of the lemon muffins from this morning which they loved.
You could just tell it was a relief for them not to have to worry about dragging their own food along or worrying about what they could have that was provided. I was grateful that the daughter made it a point to call me to discuss the allergy, really it's not a big deal at all with some advance notice.
Usually around here it's "No good deed goes unpunished" but this one felt good all the way and I was happy to make the extra effort.

Just finished up the open house and the gluten free gals (as they've been calling themselves!) made it a point to pull me aside and thank me so much for making just about every offering available to them.
We did a spicy Chex mix, corn chips with homemade salsa and guacamole, mixed nuts, a cheese ball with crackers (our grocery store had a specialty brand "Glutino" cracker available which I provided to them along with a separate cheese knife for just them to use) and a veggie tray with ranch dip. The only thing they couldn't have was the Christmas cookies, but I had extra of the lemon muffins from this morning which they loved.
You could just tell it was a relief for them not to have to worry about dragging their own food along or worrying about what they could have that was provided. I was grateful that the daughter made it a point to call me to discuss the allergy, really it's not a big deal at all with some advance notice.
Usually around here it's "No good deed goes unpunished" but this one felt good all the way and I was happy to make the extra effort..
I have noticed more labels are listing gluten-free. It must be getting to be another problem area diet-wise.
When DH was first put on a no-salt diet in 1974, there was only one brand of food available - and it tasted awful!! Now there are many things that are no salt. It makes life a lot easier for folks with those diet needs.

Back