Great Guns a Mighty!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
What do you do if you find a gun in one of your occupied guest rooms?
We currently have a very, ahem, very rude and distasteful guest. The list is too long to go into but I will say this guest has me with the PITA baton all by his lonesome.
The latest was when I went to clean their room and find a pistol right on the night stand. I have only experinced this once before but I did not feel the same as I do right now.
DH rushed on the web and found that our state has a State Statute which allows any property owner to ban any person from possessing a handgun on their property. We will be asking (telling) this dude to remove it from our B&B per the statute.
I recall a thread or two in the past regarding finding guns, so I thought I would share this find with you. CHECK your state laws.

Can't wait to hear how this one pans out. Is there a full moon? It seems like we've all had our share of PITA's in the past week or so.

Yikes. I would FREAK OUT. We have such strict gun laws around here, you can't leave a gun without having it secured, trigger locked or in a safe. FREAK OUT! Heck, I'm just freaked out by the thought.

:: burp:: double post (why is this happening to me lately?)

If I found a gun and the person was a PITA and / or scary I would make a report to the police, ("In case', not as a complaint) - I would mention to the guest that guns are not allowed on property and ask that either he store the gun in his locked car, at the police station (if allowed) or with you
If I did not have a funny feeling about the guest I would probably just ask that they keep it in their luggage and out of the sight of other guests

YES, full moon this week! This is terrifying. Aren't you afraid that by making a fuss about it it will set him off? You just never know what someone will do...I hope they are leaving soon!!!!!

...and so we add another to the list of do's and do not's, no guns loaded or otherwise allowed in the rooms. And then...you will have every guest nervous and want to know WHY you have that on your policies!
Yes, you officially now have the baton.
Be safe, call the cops. Kick him out. (and again, referring to another thread, since we have money to just throw around and don't really work at being a business we just do this for fun or something, let them go without a charge) I am being sarcastic, this is what I mean, some guests you WANT THEM GONE, you do not WISH TO DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN. YOU DO WHAT YOU DO AND SAY SAYANARA. You do not want to invite interaction with them ever again.

Yikes ! double that. Why or why would anyone in their right mind bring a gun into some ones home. GESH!!! REALLY REALLY FORWARD AND NO MANNERS. What right do they have to be so Bold. I would be freaking out.
Whether people read or not It would be on my web site no guns allowed and it would be print in the room and in there welcome books NO GUNS ALLOWED!!!. i don't care what their rights are in my house you follow MY rules peroid!

YES, full moon this week! This is terrifying. Aren't you afraid that by making a fuss about it it will set him off? You just never know what someone will do...I hope they are leaving soon!!!!!.
Don Draper said:
YES, full moon this week! This is terrifying. Aren't you afraid that by making a fuss about it it will set him off? You just never know what someone will do...I hope they are leaving soon!!!!!
We did give this a second thought and will not face him about this. Believe me they CAN'T LEAVE SOON ENOUGH. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow......

Guns do not freak me out, but a loaded gun left in the room would be totally unacceptable. If the guest has a concealed carry, that is where it should be concealed AND CARRIED, not on the nightstand! That guest is an idiot! And just what would his answer be if a housekeeper accidently knocked it off the nightstand and it went off? Unfortunately the only cure for idiots is death and we are not allowed to cure them. They walk among us.....

We have less gun issues in this way but it would seem common sense if you were traveling with a gun to have a sort of lock box/lockable carry case type thing? you don't leave things like that just lying about!

This is the way I look at it, anyone who is fool enough to put a gun in plain view at at inn is fool enough to be very concerned about. Be careful! Do they check out today?

Guns do not freak me out, but a loaded gun left in the room would be totally unacceptable. If the guest has a concealed carry, that is where it should be concealed AND CARRIED, not on the nightstand! That guest is an idiot! And just what would his answer be if a housekeeper accidently knocked it off the nightstand and it went off? Unfortunately the only cure for idiots is death and we are not allowed to cure them. They walk among us......
We have found guns on the bedside table a few times. So far, all belonging to police. But you would think they have them on them when going out or stored in luggage. We checked, and found out we have to post signs on our property that no firearms are permitted. We don't want to do that. We have guns so guess if they "show" us theirs, we will show them ours.

I am not anti guns... I am not. But this dude was creeping me out before I knew about the gun. Some people you just know should not have one, he is one of those!!! Short fuse, this one on this one.
They check out today and I will do the dance once their car is out of site, they will NEVER darken these doors again. Door codes have already been changed! Now to make sure they haven't stashed anything they have been eyeing. Yep that too. Been up since 4:30 just to have an eye on things.

Back