Great New Resource for B&B Owners/Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Words of 100

Reaction score
Take 2! Hello everyone! I am Vice President of a research firm called Tweed-Weber, Inc. in Reading, PA. The webmaster for this site welcomed me to post on your forum as a vendor member to let you all know about a new book we released entitled, “In the WORDS OF 100...A unique glimpse into the real world of 100 B&B Owners/Innkeepers.” Since it’s a new and educational resource specifically for and about B&B Owners/Innkeepers, he said it would be appropriate to offer a resource listing about it in this forum. I appreciate you allowing me to do so! We conducted an in-depth survey with 100 B&B Owners/Innkeepers from across the country, and the end result is a publication that delves into the heart and soul of what it’s really like to be an Innkeeper, both personally and professionally, and it addresses current business issues innkeepers face on a daily basis. Jay Karen, President and CEO of The Professional Association of Innkeepers International stated, “…we read the book and think it’s a top-notch resource for innkeepers and our industry. PAII definitely gives this book a thumbs-up!" I've attached a free preview that highlights what it’s all about, the Table of Contents, and a taste of the results of the survey, and the complete WORDS of 100 can be downloaded immediately at www.wordsof100.com/reports/b-and-b-owners-innkeepers/. You can also view a video preview at www.youtube.com/watch?v=r88t9GFy1LQ. Thank you for allowing me to share the news about this B&B industry resource, and I’d certainly be happy to answer any questions you have if I can help in any way.

This is very well done, a lot of hard work went into this I can see!
May I ask one brief question: The 100 you interviewed, perhaps I did not see this in the demo, but where were the inns located? I saw 40% of their guests came from the midwest. I find this curious and this is my only question. I find your book to be worth purchasing with all your insights there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks so much! I'd be happy to answer that. We actually have respondents represented from every state. We wanted to have a nice cross-section of innkeepers across the country so we could see if people were experiencing the same things. Everyone who participated was extremely gracious to us and offered great feedback. I really hope you enjoy it! We also added fun facts and tidbits of information throughout the book that we thought all of you would find entertaining, interesting and/or valuable. Sometimes research data can be kind of boring to read through, so our goal was to present the results of this survey in a way that is fun and easy to read and digest, yet very educational. Our hope is that when you are finished reading it, you will feel a sense of connection with everyone who participated and walk away with a ton of insights, ideas and inspiration.

May I ask one brief question: The 100 you interviewed, perhaps I did not see this in the demo, but where were the inns located? I saw 40% of their guests came from the midwest. I find this curious and this is my only question. I find your book to be worth purchasing with all your insights there. Thanks for sharing it with us..
Ok. I think I'm finally getting the hang of the forum posts and replies now. I will post as a reply to you what I accidently posted as a reply to myself. Thanks for your patience as I learn the process. - - - Thanks so much! I'd be happy to answer that. We actually have respondents represented from every state. We wanted to have a nice cross-section of innkeepers across the country so we could see if people were experiencing the same things. Everyone who participated was extremely gracious to us and offered great feedback. I really hope you enjoy it! We also added fun facts and tidbits of information throughout the book that we thought all of you would find entertaining, interesting and/or valuable. Sometimes research data can be kind of boring to read through, so our goal was to present the results of this survey in a way that is fun and easy to read and digest, yet very educational. Our hope is that when you are finished reading it, you will feel a sense of connection with everyone who participated and walk away with a ton of insights, ideas and inspiration.

Thanks. That is interesting. I would not have thought that to be the highest percent. It always seems like people on the egdes travel more, or those with more states closer together (like the NE).
I am going to buy this, I think it is a great resource. Thank you!
I can add this to Innteractive Inns blog as well if you want me to just cut n paste what you have here and the link I will do that.
you can email me from my user id, let me go pop my email back in there.

May I ask one brief question: The 100 you interviewed, perhaps I did not see this in the demo, but where were the inns located? I saw 40% of their guests came from the midwest. I find this curious and this is my only question. I find your book to be worth purchasing with all your insights there. Thanks for sharing it with us..
That is an interesting stat about where the guests come from. I just did my yearly review and my guests are definitely from New England and the East Coast. RARE to have a guest from the MidWest. So, yes, good question about where the majority of the inns are located. Would be interesting to see if everyone experiences a 300 mile radius visitor group.
BTW, I think I recognized a quote in there! Sounded very familiar.

That is an interesting stat about where the guests come from. I just did my yearly review and my guests are definitely from New England and the East Coast. RARE to have a guest from the MidWest. So, yes, good question about where the majority of the inns are located. Would be interesting to see if everyone experiences a 300 mile radius visitor group.
Madeleine said:
and yet...economy plays a factor. Air travel plays a factor. The stinkier it is to fly, ie high cost, pay luggage fees, lost luggage, etc the more people drive, and for us in the Mid-Atlantic it is even better! So our area is expanding, versus shrinking.
We used to have so many from Ohio that has gone down dramatically. We have a couple here right now who drove straight to us from Massachusetts. (not to stop overnight, but to stay here). So there is no rhyme or reason, unless we could chart it all out...then maybe see a bit of rhyme or reason. That is why I am getting this eBook. I love stuff like this, even if there are only a couple items in it that impact me personally it will be worth it.

Madeleine said:
and yet...economy plays a factor. Air travel plays a factor. The stinkier it is to fly, ie high cost, pay luggage fees, lost luggage, etc the more people drive, and for us in the Mid-Atlantic it is even better! So our area is expanding, versus shrinking.
We used to have so many from Ohio that has gone down dramatically. We have a couple here right now who drove straight to us from Massachusetts. (not to stop overnight, but to stay here). So there is no rhyme or reason, unless we could chart it all out...then maybe see a bit of rhyme or reason. That is why I am getting this eBook. I love stuff like this, even if there are only a couple items in it that impact me personally it will be worth it.
I agree with the OH statement. They fell off the chart this year. Used to be a LOT of our biz was from there. IL was another one we saw a big drop in.

Back