"Green" cleaning products by Shaklee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
We received as a gift from a guest, this entire box of cleaning products from Shaklee. She is a rep for them but never said a word about it while here, never pitched us, never even asked what we use around here.
Two weeks after their check out, this big box comes with a ton of stuff in it. I didn't make the cnonnection until calling the toll-free number because we generally only get the last name of the person whose CC gets used for the room.
So, we've been using everything that came in the box for a few months now and despite my deeply held skepticism, the stuff all works beyond what we could have ever imagined.
There is a super concentrated, basic cleaner that you mix with water and this stuff is awesome. One 16 oz. bottle will make like 48 gallons of standard strength, all-purpose cleaner. We have never used ANYTHING that does a better job on windows and without any streaking.
The fragrance free dryer sheets are really good also. In the winter, we mostly use flannels and you know how they kind of stick to each other when you're making the bed? Or hairs stick to them like crazy? With these, problem gone!
We make our own jams here and my dear, better half got distracted and left the pot on the stove. Burnt to a crisp and even a screwdriver wouldn't scrape the burnt, carmelized jam out. I soaked the thing for two days with the dish soap the guest sent and then went at it with this cherry pit, scouring cream she sent and that dang pot never looked so good.
The "starter kit" which she sent online is quite expensive, but I'm here to say that for an "eco-friendly" line of products making some pretty bold claims, so far all have lived up.

Well this is really good to hear then. I know Oprah featured Shaklee on her program as being a great company but it is sort of like Amway. You have to pay $20 membership per year to order from a rep. I only have use two of the products made by them so far. One is the Basic-G germicide. It is a disinfectant. I spray down the sinks, showers, tubs, and toilets with that and let it sit while I go and make the bed. The bottle lasts for ever because you only need like 1 ounce to a gallon of water. I mix it up in a gallon jug and have it on hand to fill up the spray bottle. I've also used the dryer sheets and had good luck with them. They are great because you can just put the used dryer sheets in your paper recycling bin. I would love to try the cleaner that you were talking about but I havn't gotten there yet.

The website says this costs $12.15
Basic H2® Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate[/h2] Size: 16 oz.
This little 16 oz bottle creates an unbelievable 48 gallons of super-safe, really powerful, all purpose cleaner. We challenge you to use it up any time soon to clean everything from spilled milk, to bug guts on the window, to splattered spaghetti sauce. Now go, get cleaning.
For all-purpose cleaning:
Add 1/4 tsp. to 16 oz. of water.

For windows and mirrors:
Add 1-2 drops to 16 oz. of water.

For degreasing:
Add 1 1/2 tsp. to 16 oz. of water. For bigger jobs, add 2 oz. to 1 gallon of water.

According to their website, they also make anti-aging creams. Who would have thought?

I love Shaklee products. I try to use them all the time. They are pricey though.

How does the price compare to Simple Green?
=)
Kk..
Do you use Simple Green to clean at your place? I'm curious what people like to use for their bathrooms.
oceans said:
Do you use Simple Green to clean at your place? I'm curious what people like to use for their bathrooms.
Warning - graphic comment ahead...
I don't use simple green in green as it looks like urine residue around toilets if it gets into area that are not wiped dry afterward, unlike others that dry and are invisible. I have used it in orange, used to only use simple green in orange here for two years straight.

=)
Kk..
Ummm... Joe's response pretty much summed up why we don't use it. Plus, I find the scent of it, not bad, but offputting in some weird way.
What we have always used is this all-purpose Cedarwood and Sage "eco" cleaner/disinfectant that is sold at Trader Joe's. I realize they don't have stores everywhere, but this stuff is the bomb.
Now with the discovery of these Shaklee products, I can't say if we'll start purchasing them when our "thank you gift" supply runs out, but a few of them are winners in our short time using them.
We also do some of the old fashioned, homemade stuff like vinegar, baking soda, rubbing alcohol and water.
If you ever get water spots on wood, I've found that a little mayonnaisse and the finest ash from a fireplace rubbed into the spot in a circular motion works great.

=)
Kk..
oceans said:
Simple Green has a funky smell I just don't like. I prefer citrus-y scents if there are any scents at all.
For cleaning bathrooms we use Lysol and Clean Green by Clorox (or Green Clean, I don't remember). And Scrubbing Bubbles if we get any film on the shower doors. I use vinegar for the kitchen/dining room/guest pantry.

Just for clarification, I don't generally use Simple Green, although we have some on hand. I mostly use "All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach" [that's what the product's called!] from the big store found in every town and open 24 hours. And comet-type cleanswer in the toilets.
I was trying to get a feel for the price of the Shaklee stuff...
=)
Kk.

Long time lurker, first time poster here!
I just wanted to share that Simple Green is a great all natural ant and bug killer!

I love Shaklee products. I've been using them for many years now. My favorite is the Basic H. Truly, it works.

If you go to their website, you can check out the actual particulars. You use so little compared to the amount of water. I lasts a long time (well, in normal usage it does). I forget how large of an inn you have. It may last a little less time.
What I like about it is that it's clean and safe and "green". I don't like chemical smells at all. We're on a septic, so I like knowing that it's safe for that as well as my animals, children, hubby....oops, don't forget that it's safe for Mother Earth!

Yeah we are on a septic here too so I am careful with any chemicals. Hardly ever use bleach for anything. I only have 4 rooms but I have guests every day in at least one or two rooms and soon all 4 will be rented when we get busy.

Welcome to the forum Breakfast Diva.
welcome.gif

Can you tell me more about the bug killing using simple green? Do you use it inside or outside?

Welcome to the forum Breakfast Diva.
welcome.gif

Can you tell me more about the bug killing using simple green? Do you use it inside or outside?.
Hmmm Simple Green..my hubby's favorite cleaner...personally I dislike the smell. I would think it would be outdoor bug killer..but then again...maybe not. Hope she lets us know. I have ants finding their way into my laundry room getting into the cat's dry food!

Back